Selling Dinner Plates In The Church!!!!

nevaehinvesting: I do understand. It also reminds of when Jesus helped the blind mand to see, but he he HEALED the man ON THE SABBATH DAY. The Sabbath day was mean to be holy and no work was to be done on that day...so people persecuted JESUS for this....However, in the end it was not criticized for doing a work of God on this day ...So I say all that to say this: Aren't there acceptions to every rule?

If I am messing up that story, forgive me. I have not taken the time to research it.

There are two issues here.
1. The understanding of the den of thieves.
2. Can the Church sale dinner plates?

The two are not related but people try to put the two together to defend why not to sale dinners in the church. The way of the Church should be through Tithes and Offerings. The support of it's membership.

Once again
Docmump said:
The truth, I do not know. At my church we believe the way of the church is through Tithes and Offerings only. No bake sales, raffle ticktes, nor car washes. Tithes and Offerings only.

docmump said:
There are two issues here.
1. The understanding of the den of thieves.
2. Can the Church sale dinner plates?

The two are not related but people try to put the two together to defend why not to sale dinners in the church. The way of the Church should be through Tithes and Offerings. The support of it's membership.

Once again
I definitely agree that Tithes and Offerings are the way, but I still fail to see why this scripture can't be used as why not to sale dinners in the church?

In that venture that Nevaehinvesting mentioned, I believe the intentions are good as well as the dinner plates and pies that many churches sell (Lord knows them plates and pies be good<--thinking about catfish and spaghetti dinners), but if we remember what impressed Jesus the most about people, it was faith in him and what he could do. Many things that are done to raise money in the church are done with good intentions but it could lead to more things. Before you know it, the church place of worship all of a sudden becomes a business to raise money rather than what it was intended to be. By the time Jesus made it to Jerusalem, his Temple had gotten to the point that it was corrupted so he had to "clean it out."

BTW, if Mother Louise and Sister Carroll blesses the workers in my ministry with some whitting and catfish dinners, am I going to encourage them to sell plates? no, but I am going to encourage everyone that ate to give them a love offering for there labor, especially if the food is good. :bump:

It would be neat for the youth to make some basketball jerseys with the Chicago Bulls' colors and designs labeled with the number 23 and the name Psalm (instead of Bulls). With or without a donation anybody could have one.

Man would I like for a Psalmist like Fred Hammonds or Daryl Coley to come and perform at the church I attend. If I were in charge, I would tell Fred and Daryl we will not let you charge an admission fee, but I don't mind asking the people to sow a seed into your ministries of whatever is in their heart to give..,

guess these examples sum up what I am trying to say...,

Uh, I grew up in a church that sold dinners, pies, pecan candy, etc...the committees sold those...not the church, I should say. And even now after more than 19 years that church is not in business to make money.

It's funny that we are so educated now that we look down on our ancestors for the things they did. We are so smart that we forgot the one thing that they did have that we lack today and it's FAITH. If a church is doing something that your church is not it's because God revealed that pastors vision different to him. Everyone wants to run the church. I tell you my people are something else. :smh:

The ?PEOPLE? are the CHURCH, not the BUILDING located on West Locust Street.

My answer is [it?s ok] as long as it does not compromise the integrity of the Gospel; there is nothing wrong with it. I do not believe that God will condemn someone to hell to selling a fish and spaghetti dinner with a Coke for five dollars. The other part would be, what is t he purpose / intent of selling the plates.

There is no scripture that prohibits selling a fishplate. But the closest scripture might be Acts 2:45

?And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all [men], as every man had need?.

CEE DOG said:
It's funny that we are so educated now that we look down on our ancestors for the things they did. We are so smart that we forgot the one thing that they did have that we lack today and it's FAITH. If a church is doing something that your church is not it's because God revealed that pastors vision different to him. Everyone wants to run the church. I tell you my people are something else. :smh:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do NOT look down upon ANYONE even if I do not agree with their way of life. BTW, I am on the fence with this one. The question I have is "what's wrong with it?"

Some people are agains "dinners, car wash, bake sales and such like" I would like to know what scripture they are using. I do not see any thing wrong with it. Indiiduals cannot say it's wrongnbecause they do not do it. Everything done in the "church" is not wrong.

Now Jesus gave us the Great Commision "Go out and save folks" He did to say how "Just GO" if having a church bake sale brings the unsaved to the building and one soul is saved, then the dinner was worth it. After the first Fish Dinner was sponsored by Jesus and 5K souls was saved.

Jesus is more concerned about saving souls than a fish dinner.

I have no problem with it. Its all a FUNDRAISER. If everyone would TITHE and the money distributed and spent appropiately, then there would be no need to sell plates. Each ministry operates individually from the church. As a child, I was an USHER and my sisters where in the choir. I do not think that the CHURCH distributed FUNDS to either the USHER or the CHOIR. Therefore, any funds generated were raise via a fundraiser or str8 out the parents pockets. Our youth washed cars, sold dinner plates, put on plays, choir concerts, etc. The adult departments did similar things to raise funds for church & pastor anniversaries.

If these things are not allowed on church grounds, then the church shoud start to include all ministries in their yearly budget. Uniforms, choir robes, equipment, books, literature should all be funded by the church. There is no difference in Circle "C" selling fish plates on Friday out of the church cafe as opposed to selling them out of Sister Smart's daycare.

J4J said:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I do NOT look down upon ANYONE even if I do not agree with their way of life. BTW, I am on the fence with this one. The question I have is "what's wrong with it?"
I wasn't referring to you. I see where your point. My point was to those who criticize small church?s that don't have the luxury of large church?s. For instance some church?s are in poor areas so they do what they have to do to pay the bills. I attend a large affluent church where the average income is high. So I would never compare what my church does to a church that doesn't have that type of income.

CEE DOG said:
I wasn't referring to you. I see where your point. My point was to those who criticize small church?s that don't have the luxury of large church?s. For instance some church?s are in poor areas so they do what they have to do to pay the bills. I attend a large affluent church where the average income is high. So I would never compare what my church does to a church that doesn't have that type of income.

Understood! ;)

Legend35 said:
I have a problem. I don't believe in selling anything in the House of God for pretty suits and gas money to take a singing group on the road. I have never read of Jesus,...in his 3 1/2 ministry selling anything for his ministry. All I read was he preached the word, set people free with His word and the people gave to his ministry. I did read he whipped those people out of God's House for turning a place of worship into a den of thieves.
Why was he upset?
Is it ok to sell food and raffle tickets to raise money for God's ministry?
Were the people in the temple jacking up the prices and cheating the people?
Was God mad because it represents tradition which results in an absolute lack of faith?

This goes to motive and practical application.

Don't support raffles. It's just gambling by another name.
I know of churches that have grills with full menus within their premise. You can go there and get breakfast, lunch, or dinner just about any day of the week. Why do they do it? To provide employment for members in the church and to provide a means of nutrition for members and visitors of the church around the attendance of various meetings and worship services. Yes, there are some good reasons to sell food for ministry.

There are plenty of entrepreneural opportunities that present themselves through ones local fellowship. That does not mean that they all should be operated by the church...but the could be. There are churches with car washes, dry cleaners, salons, accounting services, credit unions, etc. where the profits go right back into the ministry. Most of these employ members of the church and receive the majority of revenues from non-members because they are good, viable businesses. Still others break off businesses as proprietorships and those member give generously to those ministries that gave them birth. There must be vision and hard work to make these go.

Lemme throw this passage at ya.

Deut 8:11-20

11 Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day:

12 Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein;

13 And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied;

14 Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;

15 Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water; who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint;

16 Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end;

17 And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth.

18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

19 And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.

20 As the nations which the LORD destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the LORD your God.

I would perfer to see "plate dinners" than individuals selling donuts or asking for a donation at traffic intersections.

Nashville, has an epidemic of individuals on Saturday mornings selling donuts and asking for donations for their existing or new church or ministry. The sad part is they are mostly females with one man standing in the parking lot collefting the money. Get this! thses folks has the nerves to get upset when you refuse to buy donuts or give an donation.

I do not give or buy, but ask them to visit the church three block down the street.

dacontinent said:
This goes to motive and practical application.

Don't support raffles. It's just gambling by another name.
I know of churches that have grills with full menus within their premise. You can go there and get breakfast, lunch, or dinner just about any day of the week. Why do they do it? To provide employment for members in the church and to provide a means of nutrition for members and visitors of the church around the attendance of various meetings and worship services. Yes, there are some good reasons to sell food for ministry.

There are plenty of entrepreneural opportunities that present themselves through ones local fellowship. That does not mean that they all should be operated by the church...but the could be. There are churches with car washes, dry cleaners, salons, accounting services, credit unions, etc. where the profits go right back into the ministry. Most of these employ members of the church and receive the majority of revenues from non-members because they are good, viable businesses. Still others break off businesses as proprietorships and those member give generously to those ministries that gave them birth. There must be vision and hard work to make these go.

Lemme throw this passage at ya.

Deut 8:11-20

11 Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day:

12 Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein;

13 And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied;

14 Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;

15 Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water; who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint;

16 Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end;

17 And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth.

18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

19 And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish.

20 As the nations which the LORD destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the LORD your God.
Well,....they decided to go with the raffle tickets for a turkey, tank of gas and $100.00. Despite what I read to them,....they would not hear me. I will not be a part of such lack of faith. The moral of the story is,....as long as they got their hands on the situation,....it will fail.

Legend35 said:
Well,....they decided to go with the raffle tickets for a turkey, tank of gas and $100.00. Despite what I read to them,....they would not hear me. I will not be a part of such lack of faith. The moral of the story is,....as long as they got their hands on the situation,....it will fail.
Shake the dust off of your feet. Exemplify your own faith in this situation & watch God work.

Back