Selling Dinner Plates In The Church!!!!

Legend35

I have a problem. I don't believe in selling anything in the House of God for pretty suits and gas money to take a singing group on the road. I have never read of Jesus,...in his 3 1/2 ministry selling anything for his ministry. All I read was he preached the word, set people free with His word and the people gave to his ministry. I did read he whipped those people out of God's House for turning a place of worship into a den of thieves.
Why was he upset?
Is it ok to sell food and raffle tickets to raise money for God's ministry?
Were the people in the temple jacking up the prices and cheating the people?
Was God mad because it represents tradition which results in an absolute lack of faith?

Legend35 said:
I have a problem. I don't believe in selling anything in the House of God for pretty suits and gas money to take a singing group on the road. I have never read of Jesus,...in his 3 1/2 ministry selling anything for his ministry. All I read was he preached the word, set people free with His word and the people gave to his ministry. I did read he whipped those people out of God's House for turning a place of worship into a den of thieves.
Why was he upset?
Was God mad because it represents tradition which results in an absolute lack of faith?
Interesting you brought that up, the other day I passed by a church that was doing their own "yard sale, garage sale" or whatever you want to call it. I didn't really think about it (cause I had so much on my mind) until I read your thread. I actually grew up in a church in Alabama that tried all of those things (pie sales,hot dog stands, car washes, selling bonds, etc.). But one day, they decided to do nothing but allow the people to give tithes and offerings. Every since they tried this, the church has never lacked anything it needed financially........,

I'm not a big fan of people "selling" things in the church, but if they're selling FOOD, I'm buying a plate (especially if those preparing it are good cooks.) Beyond that, I'm feeling you.

I grew up in a church like that. I don't knock. They are where they are at that time. When they learn better, they can and probably will do better.

Thanks Maya!

Legend35 said:
Why was he upset?

Wow a topic.. :D:D:D
I did read he whipped those people out of God's House for turning a place of worship into a den of thieves.
Why was he upset?
Jesus was upset because there was no scrafice. You first must understand why the Jews gave scrafices. One reason was for sin. By definition, one must suffer in order to make a scrafice. Also, the people in the temple was selling products the temple that was not perfect. I heard a preacher say that the doves had broken wings. They were damage goods.
The truth, I do not know. At my church we believe the way of the church is through Tithes and Offerings only. No bake sales, raffle ticktes, nor car washes. Tithes and Offerings only.
They were more or less cheating God. Giving him damaged goods, if we could use the example.
Maybe, yes. "Have no faith go to the temple and purchase a used dove instead of using a prized dove."

Thanks everyone!!!
I'm a director of this musical group and this will be the first topic before our rehersal on Tuesday. We are at a stand off on this issue because it does not witness with my spirit. I hear God saying if we be faithful with what little resources we have. If we minister to the many hurting people stuck in the wilderness. He will bless us abundantly with the other things. I have to get them to come out of their tradition and move into the knowledge and purpose of The Holy Spirit. Until then,...I'm not wearing all these show biz suits like I'm on the road with The Temptations. I'm not interested in money nor fame. I'm interested in what God is going to say to me when I see him face to face.

P.S. Hi JSTUS :wavey:

What is the difference in selling plates at the church versus the church charging for a gospel concert? Both you give money for something in return, right?

The reason I bring this up is because here in Dallas, it is very common for the top gospel artist to have a concert at the Potters House (TD Jakes church). Everyone pays to get in for the concert. So, is there a difference in me paying to see Smokie Norful at the Potters House versus me buying a fish plate at 1st Baptist Church?

Is it right or wrong, I don't know. However if it is wrong, then there are many other things that should be considered wrong with the exchange of goods and services for MONEY in the church.

Da_Sperm said:
What is the difference in selling plates at the church versus the church charging for a gospel concert? Both you give money for something in return, right?

The reason I bring this up is because here in Dallas, it is very common for the top gospel artist to have a concert at the Potters House (TD Jakes church). Everyone pays to get in for the concert. So, is there a difference in me paying to see Smokie Norful at the Potters House versus me buying a fish plate at 1st Baptist Church?

Is it right or wrong, I don't know. However if it is wrong, then there are many other things that should be considered wrong with the exchange of goods and services for MONEY in the church.
Oh boy!!! :spin: I don't think I can answer that right off. All I know is I don't put money over the main business at hand. I believe in meeting the spiritual need of the people. I feel you loose people that way. I'm not in show business.

Ben Tankard gave a testimony in Gospel Today Magazine about how at one time he used to charge people at his concerts. Then one day the Holy Spirit Convicted him not to charge others but let them give a donation if they were led to. When they decided to do this, they made more money than when they were charging others and he and his family has also lacked for nothing....,<--something to consider....I have a lot of interesting thoughts on this topic, but I will only say this..just trust in God..he will without a doubt supply all of our needs according to his riches and glory....,

Da_Sperm said:

That's what I'm saying or what about when T.D. Jakes or Jamal Bryant or somebody comes to your church to preach and after the service, their latest book is on sale in the lobby (one they pubbed several times in the pulpit) and their tape/CD/DVD series on________________ (you name the subject).

What's the difference in that??? :confused:

Da_Sperm said:

Sperm,
In My Opinion, they are both wrong. I will pay for a gospel concert in a concert hall but not at a church. It is a place of worship and that place should be free of charge.

Once again, Jesus put people out for selling a cheap product for a return and that's wrong.

Da_Sperm said:

We've had concerts at our church too. I don't know the true answer. I do know that the Potter's House or First Baptist or Windsor Village...are the same thing: a building.

J4J said:
We've had concerts at our church too. I don't know the true answer. I do know that the Potter's House or First Baptist or Windsor Village...are the same thing: a building.

Yes, it is a building but it is also consecrated. Also, the Church is dedicated to God.

docmump said:
Once again, Jesus put people out for selling a cheap product for a return and that's wrong.
Hmmm, interesting. So it had nothing to do with the fact that they were selling things, but that they were selling cheap items for a profit?

I'm all for selling stuff in the church, books, tickets, cds, dvds, shirts, etc as long as profits (at least partially) go toward ministry.

Selling those things to turn a profit, and then using those profits to pay church staff salaries & take the gospel to the world is GOOD, not BAD. That's business 101.

Also, that's not the same thing as non christians setting up shop in a church for non-ministry reasons and having Jesus kick them out. That's different.

nevaeh

I really don't see a problem with selling food plates to help support the choir to buy new robes, new cushions for the pews, etc. I'd rather do that than donate to one of the many "LOVE OFFERINGS" that helps to finance the pastor's new Lexus. As long as the money is used honestly, I don't see a problem with it. The money is being used to do God's work!!! Corruption exists everywhere, however.

Fortitude said:
Hmmm, interesting. So it had nothing to do with the fact that they were selling things, but that they were selling cheap items for a profit?
No,
Jesus was upset because there was no scrafice. You first must understand why the Jews gave scrafices. One reason was for sin. By definition, one must suffer in order to make a scrafice. Also, the people in the temple was selling products the temple that was not perfect. I heard a preacher say that the doves had broken wings. They were damage goods.

SAME OLD G said:
So what does the bible say about this?
Matthew 21: 12 & 13

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,
And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

Just because a pie is sold in a church does not mean the seller is a thief.

Let me find the other scripture that applies to this.

****interesting****

I have thought about this a while, and honestly if the proceeds are used to help a ministry in the organization, why is that wrong?

QUESTION: IF THE PIES, DINNERS AND CAKES ARE SOLD ELSE WHERE AND THE PROCEEDS BROUGHT TO THE HOUSE OF GOD, IS THAT WRONG TOO?

J4J said:
Just because a pie is sold in a church does not mean the seller is a thief.
Well, my understanding of the context of this scripture, the church, God's house is built for the purpose of Worship. Do I think the seller is a thief? No of course not. They just need to be reminded about God's Holy Place and what it is for. If a ministry in a church would like to raise money other than the proceeds from tithes and offerings, I believe it should be outside of the place where we worship God. Just my opinion. In my other posts in this thread, I only mention successful testimonys of it being done like the previous...,

BulldogM.Ed.23 said:
Well, my understanding of the context of this scripture, the church, God's house is built for the purpose of Worship. Do I think the seller is a thief? No of course not. They just need to be reminded about God's Holy Place and what it is for. If a ministry in a church would like to raise money other than the proceeds from tithes and offerings, I believe it should be outside of the place where we worship God. Just my opinion. In my other posts in this thread, I only mention successful testimonys of it being done like the previous...,

Understood. ;)

The "den of robbers" in Matthew 21:12-13 does not apply to what's going on in churches today.

Picture this and tell me WWJD:
A church designs a shirt that says, "God has been so good to me!" on the front with a scripture on the back. They cost $5 each to make and are sold for $9. They make a $4 profit off each shirt and sell 10,000 shirts. That's $40,000 profit & 10,000 people witnessing for God through their clothes. The business-smart church does the same thing for hats, umbrellas, & jackets. Everytime it rains 10,000 people will have umbrellas that proclaim the name of Jesus. When it's cold, 10,000 christians will wear Jesus jackets with scriptures on them that may plants seeds inside the minds of all non-christians who see them. Now they are able to start more ministries because they have more money to fund them.

Now, since they're not broke, the church can distribute free food + bibles + shelter + education for thousands of people because they have funds to do so. They can afford to broadcast their message on radio and television so that people in other countries can hear about Jesus 3 or 4 times a week because they have the funds to maintain that ministry.

Long story short, WWJD? Would He go into that church and knock over the tables that have Jesus hats on them and beat up the old lady selling them? Would He kick the pastor out of the church for allowing those things?

Or, would He say say "well done my good and faithful servant" because the above scenario has NOTHING to do with Matthew ch 21 which had theives who were dishonestly trying to take advantage of church gatherings and were not thinking at all about God or His ministry?

Comparing us today, with those people like that back then is an insult. To answer my WWJD question, I think Jesus would give us high fives & keep on going.

Back