Roland Garros 2023

Play started yesterday. Shocking news, Sloane Stevens beat the 16 seed.
Hell, it shocks me when Sloane Stevens beat anybody. But anyway, congrats to her.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

French Open 2023: With No. 2 Medvedev gone, No. 1 Alcaraz, No. 3 Djokovic go back to work​

WHAT HAPPENED TUESDAY?

Medvedev was knocked out by Brazilian qualifier Thiago Seybolt Wild 7-6 (5), 6-7 (8), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, then reminded anyone who would listen how much he dislikes playing on red clay. Barbora Krejcikova, who won singles and doubles titles at Roland Garros in 2021, lost in the first round of singles for the second consecutive year. She was defeated by Lesia Tsurenko 6-2, 6-4. Top women’s seeds advancing included defending champion Iga Swiatek, 2022 runner-up Coco Gauff, reigning Wimbledon winner Elena Rybakina and two-time major finalist Ons Jabeur. No. 4 Casper Ruud (the runner-up to Rafael Nadal a year ago), No. 6 Holger Rune, No. 9 Taylor Fritz and No. 16 Tommy Paul were among the men’s winners.

‘JIMMY BUCKETS’ CALLED IT

Coco Gauff says Miami Heat star Jimmy Butler predicted his team would reach the NBA Finals before a playoff berth was even assured. Read the tale here.

Great story - I am happy for Monfils that he got this emotional win at the end of his career, mabye he will have a Jimmy Conners run at Roland Garros. Watch the video!

Gael Monfils produced a moment of magic in the early moments of Wednesday morning that fans will not soon forget.

The French star rallied from 0-4, 30/40 down in the fifth set of his first-round Roland Garros clash with Sebastian Baez to triumph 3-6, 6-3, 7-5, 1-6, 7-5 at 12:18 a.m.

"It's definitely in like [my] top two [matches]. I had the same one almost kind of some years ago against [Pablo] Cuevas on [Court Suzanne] Lenglen. It was unbelievable atmosphere as well. Of course this one is another flavor. I'm older, and even less chances, let's say, to win this match today," Monfils said. "It was [a] great atmosphere tonight, I guess for some spectators as well. I know I have some friends for the first time they came to Roland Garros, so I think it was a good experience for them."

05/31/23 - Wednesday upset:

C.Garcia (5) lost to BLINKOVA in 3

S.Korda (24) lost to S.Ofner in 3 (Korda is coming back from injury)

Surprising news

Sloane won with ease.

Mikael Ymer fined about $40K after default for hitting umpire stand with racket​

PARIS (AP) — Swedish tennis player Mikael Ymer was docked a total of 37,370 euros (about $40,000) after being disqualified for smashing his racket against the umpire’s chair at a tournament the week before he competed at the French Open.

An ATP Tour spokesman said Ymer forfeited the 9,980 euros (about $10,500) in prize money and 20 rankings he earned for reaching the second round of the Lyon Open. Ymer also was handed an on-site fine of 27,490 euros (about $29,000).

The spokesman said the ATP Fines Committee will conduct a review of what happened to determine whether any additional penalties are warranted.

The 56th-ranked Ymer, who is 24 and owns a victory over current No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz, was defaulted in Lyon for an outburst late in the first set against French teenager Arthur Fils last week.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

The video here gives you the back story.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Three American women into the 4th round, Bernarda, Sloane and Coco.

Good luck to Taylor and Tiafoe as the last American men standing in his match today.

Last edited:
Sloane is out! She had her chances, but the power of Sabalenka was too much.

World No.2 stopped a furious first-set comeback by the former finalist

Up 5-0 in just 17 minutes of play, Aryna Sabalenka could be excused for letting her mind wander on Court Philippe-Chatrier on Sunday evening.
But some 40 minutes later the No.2 seed and reigning Australian Open champion was just two points away from dropping the first set, a resurgent Sloane Stephens buoyed by an electrified night session crowd.
This is a match the previous version of Sabalenka – before she became a Grand Slam winner – might have folded in. Not on this night.
Sabalenka withstood a roller-coaster first and then fended off another Stephens rally in set two, winning 7-6(5), 6-4, to advance to her first-ever Roland-Garros quarter-final.
“It was a crazy match,” a wide-smiling Sabalenka said afterwards.

Naomi Osaka Reveals The Sex Of Her Baby With Adorable Celebration Pictures​

Naomi Osaka and her boyfriend, rapper Cordae, recently revealed the sex of their unborn baby with sweet photos

On Friday, the four-time Grand Slam singles champion shared a slideshow of photos on Instagram that signaled the couple is expecting a girl. Some of the pictures, which appeared to be taken at a celebration for their little one’s upcoming arrival, showed a sign that read, “A little princess is on the way.”

Cordae also celebrated the news in an Instagram story Friday. In a photo, the rapper is seen kissing Osaka’s bare belly with a text overlay reading “#GirlDad.”

Osaka had announced her pregnancy on social media earlier this year with an ultrasound image and a message to fans.

“I realize that life is so short and I don’t take any moments for granted,” she wrote in her January post, while also confirming plans to play at the 2024 Australian Open.
Last month, Osaka criticized people who had questioned her future in tennis amid the pregnancy announcement.
“There are plenty of male athletes with kids that are significantly less accomplished, you might wanna worry about them instead,” she tweeted at the time.

Back