Roland Garros 2023

The last American standing!​

Coco Gauff, Iga Swiatek set French Open rematch​

Coco Gauff swept into the French Open quarterfinals, where she plays Iga Swiatek in a rematch of last year’s final.

Gauff, the sixth seed, beat 100th-ranked Slovakian Anna Karolina Schmiedlova 7-5, 6-2 in the fourth round. She next plays the top seed Swiatek, who later Monday advanced after 66th-ranked Ukrainian Lesia Tsurenko retired down 5-1 after taking a medical timeout where her blood pressure was measured.

The Russian and Eastern European women players learned from Serena, they have a lot of power.

Aryna Sabalenka is very powerful, I watched her play Elina Svitolina this morning. It was amazing to watch Svitolina (who is no weak player) trying to deal with Sabalenka's power.

The Russian and Eastern European women players learned from Serena, they have a lot of power.

Aryna Sabalenka is very powerful, I watched her play Elina Svitolina this morning. It was amazing to watch Svitolina (who is no weak player) trying to deal with Sabalenka's power.
I am a fan of Sabalenka! I love her game mentality. She wants to destroy you on the court. lol

Coco played a good first set, but fell apart in the second set.

Losing 6 - 4 and 6 - 2

I like the strategy, but her execution fell apart. I hope she learns to impose herself on her opponents second serve.

CONGRATULATIONS IGA SWIATEK!!!

Barely 22 years old and on top of the tennis world, Iga Swiatek continues to learn about her tremendous capacities.
On Saturday in Paris, after she battled past Karolina Muchova in a thrilling 6-2, 5-7, 6-4 triumph in Court Philippe-Chatrier, the Pole expressed the satisfaction she felt upon conducting another memorable and successful clay-court season.

Swiatek, who became the youngest woman to win consecutive titles at Roland-Garros since Monica Seles in 1992, is now one of three active players to own four or more Grand Slam titles, alongside Venus Williams and Naomi Osaka.
How did she feel, precisely, when her fourth Grand Slam title was won?

"I don't know what I felt," Swiatek told a crowded press room two hours after hoisting the Coupe Suzanne-Lenglen for the third time. "It's hard to describe. But a lot of happiness. I felt suddenly tired of these three weeks. Maybe my matches weren't like physically exhausting, but it's pretty hard to kind of keep your focus for these almost three weeks.

"And also the whole [clay court] swing. Since Stuttgart I haven't been home. So I'm happy that I finished the whole clay court swing so well, and that I kind of survived.

"I guess I'm never going to kind of doubt my strength again maybe because of that."

1 American got a trophy - Mens Doubles!

The 2022 runners-up bounced back to lift their first Grand Slam title together as a duo.

Ivan Dodig and Austin Krajicek have flipped the script to be crowned the Roland-Garros men's doubles champions on Court Philippe-Chatrier on Saturday.

Last June, the Croatian-American combination surrendered three match points in the final to finish runners-up.
A year on, and Dodig and Krajicek proved their major credentials with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Belgian pair Sander Gille and Joran Vliegen.
The trophy had extra significance for Krajicek: his first Grand Slam title launches him to doubles world No.1 for the first time.

"It feels great, especially after the final last year, was an extremely tough loss. It feels amazing to have another chance 12 months on and we were able to get it done," Krajicek told rolandgarros.com.

"I was trying not to think about the No.1. We really wanted to win this match. It means a lot, but our goal is to make Turin again [season ending Finals], I've been more focused as a team.

Mixed Doubles Final

KATO, PUETZ LAND FIRST GRAND SLAM TITLE TOGETHER

Miyu Kato and Tim Puetz are Grand Slam champions after clinching the mixed doubles at Roland-Garros in their first event together.
In an all-unseeded final, the Japanese-German duo bounced back from dropping their first set of the tournament to deny Bianca Andreescu and Michael Venus 4-6, 6-4, (10-6) on Court Philippe-Chatrier.

Former doubles No.7 Puetz was contesting just his fourth mixed doubles tournament and had never advanced beyond the quarter-finals at a major in any event, while the 28-year-old Kato’s previous best result was a run to the Australian Open women's doubles semi-finals six years ago.
While the pair took down Australian Open champions Luisa Stefani and Rafael Matos in the quarter-finals, Puetz said the belief they could go all the way did not come until their semi-final triumph.

“Probably after yesterday. Before that, so many things can happen in mixed. I feel every mixed is wide open no matter who you play, no matter who is seeded, who is not seeded," Puetz said.

Back