Questions swirl as Texas Southern University president placed on leave

The board isn't qualified to govern OUR university and now they created a hostile relationship with the community they serve. We are not stupid and can see their judgment is flawed and they don't have the best interest of TSU at heart .... they are the stupid ones and we will fight them every step of the way until they resign.

But TSU folks (and others) always wanna bash PV about being a member of a university system vs being so called independent. You're never truly independent as a public university. The same man appointing our regents is appointing yours. 9 times out of 10, they are going to be financial supporters of the governor, Republicans, or people that are going to advance his agenda.

But TSU folks (and others) always wanna bash PV about being a member of a university system vs being so called independent. You're never truly independent as a public university. The same man appointing our regents is appointing yours. 9 times out of 10, they are going to be financial supporters of the governor, Republicans, or people that are going to advance his agenda.

It's a joke we make about PV but it's not out of hate. TAMU has more control over ya'll board more than the State of Texas. I actually wished the PVNAA would've at least released a joint statement in solidarity with their sister school b/c we are just that. We compete for the same students, demographic make-up is about the same, only public HBCUs in the state, and we are conference foes. The TSU-PV communities lack unity outside of partying with each other and it sucks and one of the things I don't like about the blacks in Texas. When you think about it there are no known partnerships between the two schools and that's FREAKING ridiculous!!!

We both are black institutions in a VERY RACIST ASS WHITE AND LATINO STATE which means we are among the least powerful and most overlooked. We don't have the privilage to not work with each other and get along and expect to thrive .... we need to work better as a united front because our voices are more likely to be heard.

Yesterday was a sad day for TSU because this board proved just how cancerous they will be to our institution. We about to take major steps back. If you follow my post in "Small Talk" you'll know I've always hated and distrusted the board .... nothing has really changed. Most people on the board have now genuine ties or interest in the university and it's so obvious ... they just shouldn't be there ... furthermore most are not intelligent people bottom line.

Last edited:
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- The Texas Southern University board of regents has finalized a decision to fire its president, Dr. Austin Lane.

Dr. Lane sent ABC13 a statement regarding Thursday's actions, "The vote was for a buyout close to $900,000, and they stated publicly that there was no wrongdoing."

Gerald Smith, chairman of the TSU Foundation, an independent nonprofit that supports the university through fundraising and development efforts, said the board’s handling of the situation and Lane’s departure has been shameful. He denied the board’s claims that Lane engaged in excessive spending through the foundation. The regents’ initial notice of termination said Lane used TSU Foundation money to conceal and reimburse his own “excessive entertainment expenses.”

“The last thing our founders wanted was negative headlines for TSU,” said Smith, an alumnus who grew up two blocks from the campus. “Look at us now.”

But Smith emphasized the TSU Foundation, its volunteers and trustees will weather the storm and will work with the board.

Gerald Smith, chairman of the TSU Foundation, an independent nonprofit that supports the university through fundraising and development efforts, said the board’s handling of the situation and Lane’s departure has been shameful. He denied the board’s claims that Lane engaged in excessive spending through the foundation. The regents’ initial notice of termination said Lane used TSU Foundation money to conceal and reimburse his own “excessive entertainment expenses.”

“The last thing our founders wanted was negative headlines for TSU,” said Smith, an alumnus who grew up two blocks from the campus. “Look at us now.”

But Smith emphasized the TSU Foundation, its volunteers and trustees will weather the storm and will work with the board.

The local media hate TSU and will still find ways to spin this negatively and post misleading headlines which they already done even after a public statement of no wrongdoing. And instead of calling him Dr. Lane which is a title he earned, they are calling him Lane?? You see what I'm talking about.

Unlike Jackson State trash ass stupid president that the JSU alumni community never wanted in the first place, you can tell Dr. Lane took his reputation seriously and would never do anything to intentionally bring embarrassment to his name or our university

I wish TxSU can become a private university. We can't trust the state of Texas to run the institution the way it needs to be run unless there's at least a democratic governor which we haven't had since forever. When Louisiana got their democratic governor SU and Grambling began to flourish again ... more funding, governor visits, campus improvements, etc. Democratic governors and control are best for HBCUs.

Last edited:

So did Lane spend over 100k for those Rockets seats or not?

So did Lane spend over 100k for those Rockets seats or not?

It doesn't matter, there was nothing illegal nor inappropriate about it. Two of the foundation board members inclusive of the chairman have said the board is lying. Furthermore, the foundation raises money from private sources....it is not state funds. I trust the foundation board chairman, Gerald Smith, on this one. I see no reason for him to lie for Dr. Lane and put his hard earned reputation for integrity at stake.

Many of you don't know or have never heard of TSU alumnus Gerald Smith. His bio is worth taking the time to read.
https://smithgraham.com/our-team/firm-management/gerald-b-smith.html

Some of you just still don't get it. Dr. Lane was let go over board politics plain and simple. Dr. Lane's special assistant filed a grievance on/against one of the regents because he felt that particular regent had made inappropriate comments about his wife to him personally and directly to his wife on occasions when he was out of is wife's presence. The last time he, the special assistant, called to make inquiry about the status of his grievance he was fired in less than three days. In those intervening three days Lane was put on leave without notice, his special assistant fired and subsequently Lane was/ has been let go also. So, to sum it all up, Lane's special assistant was fired as result of retaliation by the board, and Lane as a result of board politics.

I hope what I just typed didn't come off as angry. Charge it to me being pressed for time and typing fast as I could.

Last edited:
The local media hate TSU and will still find ways to spin this negatively and post misleading headlines which they already done even after a public statement of no wrongdoing. And instead of calling him Dr. Lane which is a title he earned, they are calling him Lane?? You see what I'm talking about.

Unlike Jackson State trash ass stupid president that the JSU alumni community never wanted in the first place, you can tell Dr. Lane took his reputation seriously and would never do anything to intentionally bring embarrassment to his name or our university

I wish TxSU can become a private university. We can't trust the state of Texas to run the institution the way it needs to be run unless there's at least a democratic governor which we haven't had since forever. When Louisiana got their democratic governor SU and Grambling began to flourish again ... more funding, governor visits, campus improvements, etc. Democratic governors and control are best for HBCUs.

Well SU has a 45 million dollar STEM Complex, among other projects waiting for approval.. I will see what JBE does.. If it wasn't for blacks in Louisiana he would of not been elected..

Well SU has a 45 million dollar STEM Complex, among other projects waiting for approval.. I will see what JBE does.. If it wasn't for blacks in Louisiana he would of not been elected..

He has already done more than Jindal did in 8 years. He also visited campus more than Jindal has ... Democratic governors are great for HBCUs b/c they simply care. Also I seen his cabinet has several SU graduates

You think any Texas trash ass Republican governor has sat down with leaders of TSU to discuss funding and improvement .... IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED!

It's happening at Southern University which I believe is very close to the governor's mansion and the state capital which is even better. Like I said Democratic governors are the only hope we have for public HBCUs in the Deep South and Deep South adjacent states

Last edited:

I'm not giving them any props, but at least this time after they realized our sorry excuse for a board played them they took an extra step to expose the boards persistent attempt hide important details.

Austin Lane, Texas Southern University’s outgoing president, said Friday that his buyout package totals at least $879,000 — including $100,000 for emotional distress, damage to his reputation and mental anguish.

TSU released the “confidential settlement agreement” Friday after receiving an open-records request by the Chronicle. Legal settlements involving public entities are subject to Texas’ open records law.

Last edited:

The reason Dr. Lane isn't referred to as Dr. Lane because Austin Lane, under Associated Press style rules, isn't a medical doctor nor his area of expertise is explained immediately after the first time his named is mentioned in the story.

If Austin Lane were a medical doctor, shrink or vet, then the Dr. Austin Lane title would be appropriate. If his area of expertise was mentioned like "Dr. John Doe, an astrophysicist at NASA", then that would be appropriate.

Also, after mentioning his whole name on the first reference/first mention, then you go with his last name for each subsequent reference. Only time that's different if there were another person with the last name Lane. Then you'd keep using Austin Lane — unless you're the NY Times and use the courtesy titles of Mr./Ms./Mrs. to differentiate between two people with the same last name.

It's not local media hate. It's just proper journalistic style for titles such as doctor.

Now if it were university PR, they'd capitalize the U in university (which they really shouldn't if it's just the word "university" by itself and not in the proper name of the institution) and identify PhDs and Dr. such and such. But that's college PR stuff for ya

@tsugraytiger - The regents have become incalcitrant against the state. It's probable some of them will be replaced as a result.

TSU refuses to release admissions scandal documents

Texas Southern University officials have refused to provide key documents related to the admissions scandal that toppled two top administrators despite a ruling by the Texas attorney general’s office that the records should be released.

The attorney general, which weighs in on appeals by government agencies seeking to withhold information, told TSU this week to release its investigation into the school’s admissions process and other records sought by the Houston Chronicle under the Texas Public Information Act. TSU officials said Friday that they are considering filing a lawsuit against the attorney general’s office, which is permitted under state law when agencies disagree with a ruling.

TSU lawyer Timothy Stewart said school officials plan to meet Monday morning to discuss the matter, saying a lawsuit might give the school “a better chance at a real review” before a judge.

He really hit the nail on the head with this paragraph:

I said I was concerned, but not surprised by Lane’s ouster. I’ve watched a lot of presidents come and go. More often the cause is not retirement or incompetence, but rather the egregious acts of an egomaniacal board. It is usually the worst with politically appointed board members who see these positions as superior to the president. They often expect to be served rather than to serve the institution. In the case of HBCUs, these types of board members are literally killing the schools.

He really hit the nail on the head with this paragraph:

I said I was concerned, but not surprised by Lane’s ouster. I’ve watched a lot of presidents come and go. More often the cause is not retirement or incompetence, but rather the egregious acts of an egomaniacal board. It is usually the worst with politically appointed board members who see these positions as superior to the president. They often expect to be served rather than to serve the institution. In the case of HBCUs, these types of board members are literally killing the schools.

If they are replaced, they will most likely be replaced with more incompetent power hungry black folks who care nothing about TSU.

I used to watch the TSU Board meetings often ... rarely will everyone show up. And none of them seemed passionate about the university.

TSU is stifled until a Democratic governor is chosen and he/she appoints qualified board members. The best and brightest kids are not choosing TSU like I think they should mainly b/c of the instability in leadership .... PVAMU and other schools got us beat. I mentor high school kids and practically all the bright ones do not want to go to TSU ... if they go to an in-state HBCU 99% of the time it's PVAMU. The students I think are the least college ready, lacking focus, and should start at a community college seem to gravitate heavily for TSU and it hurts. TSU campus I think is start-of-the-art so we should easily attract a lot of the best Texas has to offer and i don't see it. I'm not saying we don't have very bright students on campus b/c we do and always have but I'm saying they are definitely not the majority of the student body

Last edited:
If they are replaced, they will most likely be replaced with more incompetent power hungry black folks who care nothing about TSU.

I used to watch the TSU Board meetings often ... rarely will everyone show up. And none of them seemed passionate about the university.

TSU is stifled until a Democratic governor is chosen and he/she appoints qualified board members. The best and brightest kids are not choosing TSU like I think they should mainly b/c of the instability in leadership .... PVAMU and other schools got us beat. I mentor high school kids and practically all the bright ones do not want to go to TSU ... if they go to an in-state HBCU 99% of the time it's PVAMU. The students I think are the least college ready, lacking focus, and should start at a community college seem to gravitate heavily for TSU and it hurts. TSU campus I think is start-of-the-art so we should easily attract a lot of the best Texas has to offer and i don't see it. I'm not saying we don't have very bright students on campus b/c we do and always have but I'm saying they are definitely not the majority of the student body

the academically sound black student / minority is what everyone wants and schools like UH are pulling out all the stops to keep them from coming with all this reduced tuition coupled with the community college aggressiveness.

the academically sound black student / minority is what everyone wants and schools like UH are pulling out all the stops to keep them from coming with all this reduced tuition coupled with the community college aggressiveness.

Those tuition reductions at UH are nothing more but bundled grants which are available to practically all public Texas institutions. They are marketed as something special when they really are not.

And UH black population is actually stagnant ... it used to be a bit more blacks at UH but they tighten their admission standards. UH is dominated by Asians and Hispanics ... they damn near took it from the white ppl.

TSU and PV are the only strong black affirming colleges in Texas. So TSU and PV should have the competitive edge for the black talent ... especially in Texas but I'm not always seeing that.

combination of things - Dallas and San Antonio are the untapped markets but is it worth chasing those students and hoping they stay situated when getting a foothold in your backyard is the issue? Also - ROI

Alot of alums at both schools don't force the issue of their kids coming back like our counterparts. Its like some are proud non-HBCUs are offering them an opportunity.

Also, A&M and UT can throw more money at inner city blacks who should be going to TSU or PV but fall below getting full aid at those school

They can’t give up documents that didn’t exist. They are fabricating them as we speak. There may have been notes taken and emails requesting information and responses, but I would lean towards not a soul having put together a document that was presented to the Board prior to the firing.

This is disgusting and was from the jump.

Back