Question.. Greeks an anyone could answer...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
In the so called "Pledging Process", where does the Beating and Pressurrised Learning Process comes from just for wanting to join an Social Organization? Did the founders do it when they started these organizations, so where did it come from, why did people after them start this...?

Man are you interested in Joining a frat? You seem to have a lot of questions. If you want to be QUE holla at the Bruhs:)!

Man are you interested in Joining a frat? You seem to have a lot of questions. If you want to be QUE holla at the Bruhs:)!

I was about to ask the same thing. I dont know what you have in mind, so holla at the bruhs of Delta Sigma if you wanna see the LIGHT.

Im already in an Organization... Kappa Kappa Psi Honorary Band Fraternity..., that i Pledged for... That i want take the experience away, but i love my org an the people in it.... A lot of things to me doesnt make any since.. Doesnt tie... with the whole "PLEDGING" thing.. Yeah i went through it.. but never UNDERSTOOD why..... For what reason.... Would i founders want to see us doing these things to join a membership of men/women... All i ask is basic questions that fits an can fit everyone's thoughts and inputs whether your in a organization or not...

But i know many of you will be offended by this topic, mainly members of my organization, which i hope not because im clearly not meaning anything by this topic or discussion, just letting these people who posted above me know that I am involved in a Fratenity and Great brotherhood....But im the type person that needs a explanation to why, what reason. All Organizations have one goal... that is to Make the betterment of sisterhood/ brotherhood, better men an women in the community or to honor outstanding individuals into one big unit to serve a POSITIVE PRIMARY PURPOSE...... My question again.... Where and Why Pledge.. Where did it come from? For what reason... Re read my first question at the beggining of the topic and try to understand me...

Im already in an Organization... Kappa Kappa Psi Honorary Band Fraternity..., that i Pledged for... That i want take the experience away, but i love my org an the people in it.... A lot of things to me doesnt make any since.. Doesnt tie... with the whole "PLEDGING" thing.. Yeah i went through it.. but never UNDERSTOOD why..... For what reason.... Would i founders want to see us doing these things to join a membership of men/women... All i ask is basic questions that fits an can fit everyone's thoughts and inputs whether your in a organization or not...

But i know many of you will be offended by this topic, mainly members of my organization, which i hope not because im clearly not meaning anything by this topic or discussion, just letting these people who posted above me know that I am involved in a Fratenity and Great brotherhood....But im the type person that needs a explanation to why, what reason. All Organizations have one goal... that is to Make the betterment of sisterhood/ brotherhood, better men an women in the community or to honor outstanding individuals into one big unit to serve a POSITIVE PRIMARY PURPOSE...... My question again.... Where and Why Pledge.. Where did it come from? For what reason... Re read my first question at the beggining of the topic and try to understand me...

The book by Kimbrough will give you a lot of insight from a historical perspective. Check it out! It should answer many of your questions.

Another book to read is The Divine Nine: The History of African American Fraternities and Sororities by Lawrence C. Ross Jr.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0758202709/ref=s9_asin_title_3/104-7794835-5979938

I appreciate the book suggestions.. but it just seems that like a lot of times.. many of you misunderstood or misunderstand the purpose of my(this topic)... disregard what i've asked because it seems as though many think i know nothing of pledging or the process and only Pan Hellenic organizations have the real reason/ explanation....

Disgregard this topic, If i was a mod or if u could delete it yourself..I would

Thank You

^^See what I mean...:lol:

Sir Gram.....the only way I can explain it is pledging the wrong way started when the first person ALLOWED it to happen.....:smh:

I have both of these books. They are great reads. Should provide much insight to the uninitiated...

I agree Jagface! :tup:

I appreciate the book suggestions.. but it just seems that like a lot of times.. many of you misunderstood or misunderstand the purpose of my(this topic)... disregard what i've asked because it seems as though many think i know nothing of pledging or the process and only Pan Hellenic organizations have the real reason/ explanation....

Disgregard this topic, If i was a mod or if u could delete it yourself..I would

Thank You

It could be the manner in which you posed the question. Just a thought...

If I understand you correctly, you want to know why is pledging needed for any organization?

If that is your question, then my response is because to truly appreciate anything, it must be earned. People are guarded about their money when they work for it and earn it. When people win a championship they aren't excited just because they won, but because all of the hard work they put in, has culminated in a hampionship. They earned that title. And I think that in order to wear my letters and join my noble klan that you should earn it too. You should not be able to just write a check. You should not be allowed to just say hi, and get in. You should have to earn it. Study, struggle, work, whatever it takes. Show theyself wrthy to join the legacy. Does that mean you should be beaten, no. But you should have to earn it, and it shouldn't be easy. And I feel that way about life too. My father made me work, earn money, etc. And I appreciate the things I have accumulated in life much more than I would had thing sjust been handed to me for nothing. I coach football, and I will not let a guy come out for the team after two-a-days..why? Because he didn't put in the hard work required of everyone else, so he shouldn't be able to reap the rewards.

If I understand you correctly, you want to know why is pledging needed for any organization?

If that is your question, then my response is because to truly appreciate anything, it must be earned. People are guarded about their money when they work for it and earn it. When people win a championship they aren't excited just because they won, but because all of the hard work they put in, has culminated in a hampionship. They earned that title. And I think that in order to wear my letters and join my noble klan that you should earn it too. You should not be able to just write a check. You should not be allowed to just say hi, and get in. You should have to earn it. Study, struggle, work, whatever it takes. Show theyself wrthy to join the legacy. Does that mean you should be beaten, no. But you should have to earn it, and it shouldn't be easy. And I feel that way about life too. My father made me work, earn money, etc. And I appreciate the things I have accumulated in life much more than I would had thing sjust been handed to me for nothing. I coach football, and I will not let a guy come out for the team after two-a-days..why? Because he didn't put in the hard work required of everyone else, so he shouldn't be able to reap the rewards.

Thats as real as it gets!

Hmmmm ... I'll flip the script here.

Let me start by saying that I pledged twice. (The info is in my siggy.) Been there, done ALL OF that.

My question is; "If we choose people who have earned it via their deeds/accomplishments BEFORE being approaching an organization, is that good enough?"

This is why I ask. My Mother never knew anything about Greek organizations except that her son was in one. She got her college degree at night while working (2 jobs at times) during the day. After graduating, she worked her way up and at the time she retired, she was a Senior Vice-President at one of the largest banks in Chicago.

The same year she retired, she became an AKA -- obviously through a Grad (Weekend) Process. She wasn't honorary or anything -- she (and her 24 LS's) went through like any other AKA Grad Intakees would. And she waited for 2 years for the chapter to have an intake.

momdwayne.jpg

But this is what tickles me: In her 3 years as an AKA, she hasn't missed a Regional, she hasn't missed a Boule -- I don't think she's missed a chapter meeting and I know she hasn't missed a service project! She has chaired several committees, and is the Finance Chairman for her chapter's Foundation.

Now, by some peoples measuring stick, she is "Paper" -- yet she is one of the most dedicated Greeks I've ever met. I often say, "My Moms will take you into an alley and BOX with you over AKA." She didn't grow up with a burning desire to become an AKA although when she was exposed, she decided (very quickly) that it was the organization for her.

Oh my --What happened here? She didn't walk in line for 8 weeks, yet she is adding value to her organization. Do we REALLY have to "make people earn it?"

or ...

If we choose good people from jump-street, do those people continue to do what they've always done (work hard, exceed & excel) after becoming members?

Like I said in another post: "Instead of being so concerned over weeding people out, perhaps we need to concentrate on Picking Flowers to begin with."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Chicago Jag,

I think you and Suge are basically saying the same thing. Your mother did go through something... she had lived a life of hard work and service to others. She had the qualities that her sorority was looking for and she made the decision to join and has worked since becoming a member. I don't know what she and her LB's went through (that's up to the organization which she joined ...chapter especially).

I don't call folk paper... I pledged graduate chapter and we were read in and after the fact decided that we wanted a process. I won't go into details about that process other than to say that it involved a lot of community service projects, a lot of group activities, and plenty of studying to "show ourselves approved". I think it was a good way to handle it because I didn't know any of my lb's prior to the process. I am at least 15 years older than the next oldest guy and some of my lb's are the age of my oldest child. Being involved in "projects" together gave us a commonality outside of just wearing the symbols.

Chicago Jag,

I think you and Suge are basically saying the same thing. Your mother did go through something... she had lived a life of hard work and service to others. She had the qualities that her sorority was looking for and she made the decision to join and has worked since becoming a member. I don't know what she and her LB's went through (that's up to the organization which she joined ...chapter especially).

I don't call folk paper... I pledged graduate chapter and we were read in. I think it was a good way to handle it because I didn't know any of my lb's prior to the process. I am at least 15 years older than the next oldest guy and some of my lb's are the age of my oldest child. Being involved in "projects" together gave us a commonality outside of just wearing the symbols.

:tup:

Sounds about like what I did.

Joined AKA this year at the age of 42.....and I try my best not to miss anything that is going on. I haven't had the chance to chair any committees yet, but the committees I'm on, I give 110%..:tup: I will go to my first Cluster this year..:jump:

And because I am committed to my org, it does my heart proud when a sister who has been in the organization over 25 years call me Soror! ;)

Chicago Jag,

Your mother(my Soror) represents fully what it means to pledge! :nod:

All of this is good, really it trulley is especially with the guy's mom... But does it truley answer my question? I mean im saying.. thats why i deleted my topic.. Look at how the topic turned out the last several posts... :shame:

All of this is good, really it trulley is especially with the guy's mom... But does it truley answer my question? I mean im saying.. thats why i deleted my topic.. Look at how the topic turned out the last several posts... :shame:

what was your question?

It does if they believe it does. One can't ask a question and expect the answer they want to hear. For the most part, people have varying opinions and that is what one should expect.

Now, you may not agree with the answer, but such is life. :eek:

Back