PV fan attendance at Labor Day Classic was dismal

Even if that was true (it's not) ... ya'll had a reason to outnumber us last night which is the topic of the thread. We've had losing football seasons for like forever. What's ya'll excuse? Looks like only the OG PV alumni (pre-1980 graduates) give a damn about supporting PV outside homecoming and the State Fair Classic. Ya'll should take some notes from ya'll big brother TAMU ... now that's a real A&M fanbase LOL

What games will tsu be supporting besides the PV game???? Get serious

The Astros were playing the Yankees across the street. Earth, Wind and Fire was in town. UH was playing down the street. High school football going on. Consecutive days of 100+/- deqree temps for at least two months. Parking around around Shell Energy was 50 bucks (or more in some cases) because of proximity to Minute Maid. Other events were probably going on that I am not aware of. What was going on where AAMU was playing?
I keep saying it. 4th largest city doesn't necessarily mean fan support. It means there's a shit ton of other stuff to sink your time into. You don't get the small town hero team effect. You've got to put in work and create an event that you can promote. We're in the suburbs now days and you've got to entice folks to make that commute, deal with traffic and sit in that sauna of a stadium with no air flow. Even if my kid didn't have a game (again more time sinks) we probably would have skipped it and went to PV's home opener just because of the stadium.

Each school has its own issues killing attendance aside from that but both are gonna have to put in effort that's probably over the top compared to other schools.

I’ve been here 12 years. I know the parking situation!
It is ridiculous along w/ the $50 astros parking just across the street from Shell stadium.

Need a new gameplan, sTu. There are a cajillion schools HS, jr HS, & elementary about Harris county so create the excitement in them, unless dumbassed abbott and his trolls of TEA decide to put a stop to that focus as well. Lets do that outreach and sell that bad boy out.

Last edited:
The stadium is fine actually. Concessions are fine, ambiance is fine. It needs a draw of some sort other than just "here we are...black football" lookin ayiss.
The stadium itself is nice. It is just HOT at this time of year every time I've been. But yea "WE HERE" ain't gonna cut it in Houston.

It is ridiculous along w/ the $50 astros parking just across the street from Shell stadium.

Need a new gameplan, sTu. Yhere are a cajillion schools HS, jr HS, & elementary about Harris county. Lets do that outreach and sell that bad boy out.
Harris county is heavy Hispanic now - things have changed - the stadium only seats 22k so that's nearly sold out despite other factors - black folks don't live in droves 10 miles in all directions like they used to - you don't have a school district like HISD that naturally funnels students to the Labor Day Classic

The more black folks have progressed in the area the less interested the young the ones have gotten - but we all wanted this diversity - right - see what this have done to us

When we lost our hoods you see the trickle down effects?

Harris county is heavy Hispanic now - things have changed - the stadium only seats 22k so that's nearly sold out despite other factors - black folks don't live in droves 10 miles in all directions like they used to - you don't have a school district like HISD that naturally funnels students to the Labor Day Classic

The more black folks have progressed in the area the less interested the young the ones have gotten - but we all wanted this diversity - right - see what this have done to us

When we lost our hoods you see the trickle down effects?
Most Black Texans don't mess with the HBCUs like they used to. Nowadays they seem to be more excited to go to non-HBCUs than HBCUs or NOT GO TO COLLEGE AT ALL. Texas has the most Blacks of any state but yet TSU and PV enrollment don't quite reflect that. You would think that Texas will have the 15K+ sized HBCUs but it ain't like that.

The Labor Day Classic used to have a lot of locals (or Texans) in attendance with no direct affiliation with any school ... that really ain't the case anymore. Back when I was in college it was promoted all over the radio and a big deal among the Houston Black community but things ain't the same as entertainment options have improved in the city of Houston

Last edited:
Mane hold up….y’all really in here saying an Earth, Wind & Fire concert was the reason for the low attendance??

giphy.gif

Mane hold up….y’all really in here saying an Earth, Wind & Fire concert was the reason for the low attendance??

giphy.gif
Pick out what you want to address. I presented a plethora of reasons (as others have) for the 83% sold out stadium not being 100% sold out but you pick out the concert to base your arqument....and you want to be taken seriously. You sound like a publican.

giphy.gif
And Lionel Richie was there too. I feel like they could've put a small dent in attendance but not that many. These guys perform everywhere all the time.

There is a lot going on in Houston on Labor Day weekend just like most weekends in a major city but we still had tens of thousands of local alumni, students, and Black people who stayed at home who watched on TV or didn't watch at all. We did way better than PV tho so I hv give TSU fans credit

Last edited:
Y’all football team hasn’t won in years. Y’all coach is boring. It’s Houston. People want to spend their money on things that give them pleasure than watching a football team that doesn’t win or galvanize them.

Y’all football team hasn’t won in years. Y’all coach is boring. It’s Houston. People want to spend their money on things that give them pleasure than watching a football team that doesn’t win or galvanize them.
Now this is a valid argument. Please sign atl hornet up for lessons.

Only thing young black folks care about now is themselves and a hookah lounge after Sunday brunch - they have no connection to anything - coach or not - they ain't going in high school either so what makes you think they're going to transform overnight? Outside or north shore, which hoards the talent, what other program in the city can even draw? HISD drew 10-20k in the 80s for a rivalry game

Southern used to shut the dorms down and made everyone attend the game - after four years if you can get 300 or such of those freshmen to buy in when they come alumni your good after a decade - are they doing that still? Not sure but you gotta force the issue even more now

The sad part is a lot of these freshmen are being mentored by millennial employees now who know nothing about hbcu traditions if their experience started in the 2000s - folks think it's just about learning a shuffle

In the 80s or so - your mentor was a first generation college grad who attended the school

Only thing young black folks care about now is themselves and a hookah lounge after Sunday brunch - they have no connection to anything - coach or not - they ain't going in high school either so what makes you think they're going to transform overnight? Outside or north shore, which hoards the talent, what other program in the city can even draw? HISD drew 10-20k in the 80s for a rivalry game

Southern used to shut the dorms down and made everyone attend the game - after four years if you can get 300 or such of those freshmen to buy in when they come alumni your good after a decade - are they doing that still? Not sure but you gotta force the issue even more now

The sad part is a lot of these freshmen are being mentored by millennial employees now who know nothing about hbcu traditions if their experience started in the 2000s - folks think it's just about learning a shuffle

In the 80s or so - your mentor was a first generation college grad who attended the school
White kids still care. Black kids not so much. I noticed when I watch high school sports highlights this last decade the predominately white high schools usually be packed out with parents and white kids showing school spirit and supporting their classmates. The Black or Hispanic high schools attendance and support are usually flaky unless it's a big rivalry game and even then it's not giving what the predominately white schools give.

And I'm almost sure most of the TSU students in attendance were freshmen and sophomores living on campus. Black young adults nowadays tend to be much more narcissistic and don't really have much pride about the communities they apart of anymore ... like you said hookah, brunch/partying, and I'll add showing off on social media are the only things that matter to the majority of them ... it's sad.

White kids still care. Black kids not so much. I noticed when I watch high school sports highlights this last decade the predominately white high schools usually be packed out with parents and white kids showing school spirit and supporting their classmates. The Black or Hispanic high schools attendance and support are usually flaky unless it's a big rivalry game and even then it's not giving what the predominately white schools give.

And I'm almost sure most of the TSU students in attendance were freshmen and sophomores living on campus. Black young adults nowadays tend to be much more narcissistic and don't really have much pride about the communities they apart of anymore ... like you said hookah, brunch/partying, and I'll add showing off on social media are the only things that matter to the majority of them ... it's sad.

Yep - white kids will break their will to attend an a&m or UT - if it fails to happen they'll damn near fall out - some will go to a sfa or Sam Houston but they'll still be loyal to the other schools - we don't have that type in our culture

We moved out there to these new middle class areas and those suburban schools aren't allowing the hbcu traditions we had in the 90s at the schools

Yep - white kids will break their will to attend an a&m or UT - if it fails to happen they'll damn near fall out - some will go to a sfa or Sam Houston but they'll still be loyal to the other schools - we don't have that type in our culture

We moved out there to these new middle class areas and those suburban schools aren't allowing the hbcu traditions we had in the 90s at the schools
Yeah the suburban Black kids we want ain't choosing Texas HBCUs like they used to for sure. If they do HBCUs, they seem to go out of state to Howard, Spelman, Morehouse, Southern, Grambling, Tuskegee, FAMU, NCAT, Xavier, Dillard, and Clark Atlanta.

Congrats on beating us for the 1000th time PV but ya'll attendance at the first game of the season against a SWAC rival that was in the city where ya'll largest alumni base lives was SAD! I can't believe I saw so little PV fans at the game ... it had to been no more than 4K while TSU made up the rest of the about 15K present. If it wasn't for the lil PV student section, PV side would've been fairly dead. Like ya'll keep beating us on the field and we beat ya'll in the stands ... the math ain't mathing
Why do you come in here posting dumb shit like this? Who gives a damn about how many visiting fans came to our home game? We should pack it out with TSU fans.

PV or any fan base should be the least of our worries. Losing how we did against A&M to end the season last year and then to start off the season with a loss like this is frustrating.

The Labor Day Classic used to have a lot of locals (or Texans) in attendance with no direct affiliation with any school ... that really ain't the case anymore. Back when I was in college it was promoted all over the radio and a big deal among the Houston Black community but things ain't the same as entertainment options have improved in the city of Houston

That was when there was no high school games being played on that weekend and we got a lot of the high school kids and their parents to come to the game.

Why do you come in here posting dumb shit like this? Who gives a damn about how many visiting fans came to our home game? We should pack it out with TSU fans.

PV or any fan base should be the least of our worries. Losing how we did against A&M to end the season last year and then to start off the season with a loss like this is frustrating.

Exactly.....

200.gif

A bunch of PWI coaches, including Nick Saban, criticized students for either not showing up for games or leaving early. And last time I checked the majority of those kids are white.

People need reasons to invest their time and money into something. A hookah lounge and brunch sounds a lot more fun than watching PV and TSU play in the dirt for three hours

A bunch of PWI coaches, including Nick Saban, criticized students for either not showing up for games or leaving early. And last time I checked the majority of those kids are white.

People need reasons to invest their time and money into something. A hookah lounge and brunch sounds a lot more fun than watching PV and TSU play in the dirt for three hours
Nick Saban was calling out fans b/c they were leaving early DUE TO BLOWOUTS. They wouldn't leave early when the game was close. Nick Saban situation and PV situation ain't quite the same b/c they sold out the stadium (near sold out) before leaving.

Last edited:
Back