PV fan attendance at Labor Day Classic was dismal

tsugraytiger

Congrats on beating us for the 1000th time PV but ya'll attendance at the first game of the season against a SWAC rival that was in the city where ya'll largest alumni base lives was SAD! I can't believe I saw so little PV fans at the game ... it had to been no more than 4K while TSU made up the rest of the about 15K present. If it wasn't for the lil PV student section, PV side would've been fairly dead. Like ya'll keep beating us on the field and we beat ya'll in the stands ... the math ain't mathing

Last edited:

Congrats on beating us for the 1000th time PV but ya'll attendance at the first game of the season against a SWAC rival that was in the city where ya'll largest alumni base lives was SAD! I can't believe I saw so little PV fans at the game ... it had to been no more than 4K while TSU made up the rest of the about 15K present. If it wasn't for the lil PV student section, PV side would've been fairly dead. Like ya'll keep beating us on the field and we beat ya'll in the stands ... the math ain't mathing

This is not a neutral site game and it's your home game. The whole stadium is suppose to be fill your fans. There was more than 4K PV fans at this game. It was probably the first time in this stadium that stu had more fans there and it was because your students got off their butts and made the travel to this stadium. Out of the 18K reported, I would say it was probably a 62-38 split.

Even at 18k….. a rival game being played in one of the largest cities in the US… only 2 state supported HBCUs in Texas should be a sold out NRG stadium crowd.
The Astros were playing the Yankees across the street. Earth, Wind and Fire was in town. UH was playing down the street. High school football going on. Consecutive days of 100+/- deqree temps for at least two months. Parking around around Shell Energy was 50 bucks (or more in some cases) because of proximity to Minute Maid. Other events were probably going on that I am not aware of. What was going on where AAMU was playing?

Even at 18k….. a rival game being played in one of the largest cities in the US… only 2 state supported HBCUs in Texas should be a sold out NRG stadium crowd.

Attendance will never show as a sellout. We have to "dead ticket" over 1,000 tickets for both bands, tickets we issue out to students who request them and don't show up.

I have 4 season tickets I pay for but didn't scan them because of my 4 All Access passes for my family that get us in "back of house".

Many other factors in place but 18K is good now that the stadium seating capacity has actually decreased from the original 22K from its 2011 construction.

The Astros were playing the Yankees across the street. Earth, Wind and Fire was in town. UH was playing down the street. High school football going on. Consecutive days of 100+/- deqree temps for at least two months. Parking around around Shell Energy was 50 bucks (or more in some cases) because of proximity to Minute Maid. Other events were probably going on that I am not aware of. What was going on where AAMU was playing?
Yes, the Astros with a 6:00PM first pitch with whom we share the largest parking lot with that are playing the Yankees definitely was a deal breaker for a lot of our fans.

@ DAHILL I forgot it was EWF and Lionel Ritche at Toyota Center a few blocks from Shell Energy and Minute Maid so parking farther from Shell Energy would give you no relief in parking prices unless you parked somewhere on the other side of I-45 and walked 10 to 15 blocks was not an option for many.

1ST game of the season against a rival… the real question is why was there only 15k there.
UofH out advertised everybody with that LuvyaBlue jersey, Stros vs Yankees was next door...LDC needed way bigger advertising than what happened.

Yeah. Trying to go to that game last night would have been very costly. Parking during an Astros game is ridiculous. Then factor in they were playing the Yankees. Also, there is always something going on in eado at Warehouse Live!! 18K is a great number!!

When we got downtown (late) the Stros faithful were literally as far as Bayou Landing UofH downtown and were walking in the heat. I know quite a few PV faithful and TSU faithful were in that number. Stros are going strong as ever. It should be "Wakanda first" but without more massive marketing on a weekend like this...nah. my family reunion was deep at the site 2.5hrs away and a few of them went to the Stros game and they're true old school die hard panthers. They typically go to LDC after certain things at the reunion.

folks act like Astros and Yankees was scheduled last week - you budget for it way in advance - the World Series was played the same night as tsu-jsu and folks showed

This young generation (not students) ain't bought in across the board - they'll spend $500 on shoes we bought for $80, money of t-shirts you can buy from a thrift store, overrated weekend brunches, $100 turkey leg but complain about a $20 ticket where we see how it benefits folks

This is not a neutral site game and it's your home game. The whole stadium is suppose to be fill your fans. There was more than 4K PV fans at this game. It was probably the first time in this stadium that stu had more fans there and it was because your students got off their butts and made the travel to this stadium. Out of the 18K reported, I would say it was probably a 62-38 split.
Oh stop it! The game in Houston is technically a home game for PV as well. And it was definitively a 75% TSU - 25% PV at best. And every Labor Day Classic I been to it's about an even split of fans or TSU outnumber PV fans .... never recall PV fans clearly outnumbering TSU fans except maybe 2016 for the first game of The New Panther Stadium

Last edited:
Yeah. Trying to go to that game last night would have been very costly. Parking during an Astros game is ridiculous. Then factor in they were playing the Yankees. Also, there is always something going on in eado at Warehouse Live!! 18K is a great number!!
Ijs. We have to be honest in this city. We DO have a flavor and culture. But we don't highlight it that way. Example: cookout competition before the game. Just an idea. And this game hasn't been big big for a good while now. The nature of competition is dictating that fans are up for swac football but not all THAT up for TSU v PV. PV v anybody else works for PV and TSU v others works for TSU if we advertise it correctly and smartly. This diverse, freaky ayiss, fat ayiss city...cmon now...

folks act like Astros and Yankees was scheduled last week - you budget for it way in advance - the World Series was played the same night as tsu-jsu and folks showed

This young generation (not students) ain't bought in across the board - they'll spend $500 on shoes we bought for $80, money of t-shirts you can buy from a thrift store, overrated weekend brunches, $100 turkey leg but complain about a $20 ticket where we see how it benefits folks
The Astros game definitely didn't impact attendance that much. 99% of the people I seen walking towards Minute Maid Park were NON-BLACK.

The truth of the matters is TSU's football fanbase is a sleep giant I feel ... I mean Texas is known for being a football state more than anything else. Until we will consistently I think our attendance will be iffy but always better than PV ... PV fans are among least supportive in the conference.

The Astros game definitely didn't impact attendance that much. 99% of the people I seen walking towards Minute Maid Park were NON-BLACK.

The truth of the matters is TSU's football fanbase is a sleep giant I feel ... I mean Texas is known for being a football state more than anything else. Until we will consistently I think our attendance will be iffy but always better than PV ... PV fans are among least supportive in the conference.
Well then that's a recruiting and coaching problem. I know some things are easier said than done but yes this is Texas. It's football players here running 200m in district finals EASILY. Cmon McKinney

1) Me and my crew found free parking last night 30 minutes before the game. Real Houstonians (10+ years) know how to finesse free parking downtown
2) 18K is decent for us considering our consistent losing records and we made up the overwhelming majority. PV AD needs to figure out something to get them fans in the seats. They've had consistently better season and great facilities.

Oh stop it! The game in Houston is technically a home game for PV as well. And it was definitively a 75% TSU - 25% PV at best. And every Labor Day Classic I been to it's about an even split of fans or TSU outnumber PV fans .... never recall PV fans clearly outnumbering TSU fans except maybe 2016 for the first game of The New Panther Stadium

You a damn lie. PV has outnumbered tsu SEVERAL times in Houston And not just at that soccer stadium. No one wants to go to that sweatbox

1) Me and my crew found free parking last night 30 minutes before the game. Real Houstonians (10+ years) know how to finesse free parking downtown
2) 18K is decent for us considering our consistent losing records and we made up the overwhelming majority. PV AD needs to figure out something to get them fans in the seats. They've had consistently better season and great facilities.

18k when you had UH (who has plenty of fans with tsu and pv ties) playing, Astros and other high schools is good - maybe it moves to Sunday to alleviate the issues

You a damn lie. PV has outnumbered tsu SEVERAL times in Houston And not just at that soccer stadium. No one wants to go to that sweatbox
Even if that was true (it's not) ... ya'll had a reason to outnumber us last night which is the topic of the thread. We've had losing football seasons for like forever. What's ya'll excuse? Looks like only the OG PV alumni (pre-1980 graduates) give a damn about supporting PV outside homecoming and the State Fair Classic. Ya'll should take some notes from ya'll big brother TAMU ... now that's a real A&M fanbase LOL

Back