Props to SU!!!

Here are some post game quotes by Duke's Coach "K" that the media hasn't seen fit to publish:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NCAA Men?s Basketball Division I First and Second Rounds
March 16, 2006
Duke Coach and Player Quotes

DUKE HEAD COACH MIKE KRZYZEWSKI
Opening remarks
KRZYZEWSKI: Southern played great. Ron?s (Spivery) a heck of a coach and his kids played like champions. I thought we came out, and I thought we were ready to play, but we were ready to play the wrong way. We were just going to fast break, and do one-on-one, and we looked bad. They made us look bad, and we made us look bad. Thank goodness that Shelden (Williams) played an amazing game. In the second half, once we got organized and played better in the half court, our defense was excellent. They hit four three?s in a row, but other than that our defense was really good, and we executed a lot better on the offensive end. We had 20 turnovers in tonight?s game, and we had 25 for the whole ACC Tournament. We did not value the ball. I think part of it, we thought it was going to be easier, and this tournament is not easy. Hopefully we learned that lesson.

On whether or not the players took a step back tonight
KRZYZEWSKI: I don?t think you take steps forward and back, I just think you play. This isn?t like an English course where you flunk the last paper. They?re good players. Sometimes they don?t play as well.

They?re good players, we have confidence in them. They didn?t play as well tonight for a variety of reasons. They?ll show up and I?m sure they?ll play well on Saturday.

On how Southern created problems
KRZYZEWSKI: Obviously, they played really well. They?re a really good team. They have a good system, they came to play, they looked like they were having fun, they were together, and they never let up. In order for somebody to look bad, somebody usually makes them look bad. That?s primarily what happened. Southern played well, and then we didn?t respond to the level that we needed to combat that for most of the game. The main reason was Southern?s play, not our own ineptitude, or we just didn?t show up, or we were just looking to take steps backward. Southern knocks you back.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Way to go SU
TygerMan

TygerMan said:
Here are some post game quotes by Duke's Coach "K" that the media hasn't seen fit to publish:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NCAA Men?s Basketball Division I First and Second Rounds
March 16, 2006
Duke Coach and Player Quotes

DUKE HEAD COACH MIKE KRZYZEWSKI
Opening remarks
KRZYZEWSKI: Southern played great. Ron?s (Spivery) a heck of a coach and his kids played like champions. I thought we came out, and I thought we were ready to play, but we were ready to play the wrong way. We were just going to fast break, and do one-on-one, and we looked bad. They made us look bad, and we made us look bad. Thank goodness that Shelden (Williams) played an amazing game. In the second half, once we got organized and played better in the half court, our defense was excellent. They hit four three?s in a row, but other than that our defense was really good, and we executed a lot better on the offensive end. We had 20 turnovers in tonight?s game, and we had 25 for the whole ACC Tournament. We did not value the ball. I think part of it, we thought it was going to be easier, and this tournament is not easy. Hopefully we learned that lesson.

On whether or not the players took a step back tonight
KRZYZEWSKI: I don?t think you take steps forward and back, I just think you play. This isn?t like an English course where you flunk the last paper. They?re good players. Sometimes they don?t play as well.

They?re good players, we have confidence in them. They didn?t play as well tonight for a variety of reasons. They?ll show up and I?m sure they?ll play well on Saturday.

On how Southern created problems
KRZYZEWSKI: Obviously, they played really well. They?re a really good team. They have a good system, they came to play, they looked like they were having fun, they were together, and they never let up. In order for somebody to look bad, somebody usually makes them look bad. That?s primarily what happened. Southern played well, and then we didn?t respond to the level that we needed to combat that for most of the game. The main reason was Southern?s play, not our own ineptitude, or we just didn?t show up, or we were just looking to take steps backward. Southern knocks you back.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Way to go SU
TygerMan

Good showing SU! Way to represent the SWAC!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JaguarNation99 said:
Normally the winner of the play-in game faces the overall #1 seed. But they didn't want the winner of the play-in game to play on Tuesday and again on Thursday, so the winner defaulted to a #1 seed that played on Friday.

IMHO we as a conference, cant worry about who we play in the dance. "The objective is to win the game" per Herm Edwards. If not Duke who, Conn., Memphis, Villianova. Whoever, it probably is a No. 1 seed. This is the dance baby cant have no preference. I think Duke was a good choice for them.

They represented the SWAC and all HBCUs very well last night. They had an excellent showing against the #1 team in the country! This should really help recruiting. If only they could have pulled off the upset. The world of college basketball would have been in an uproar for years to come, but all in all, great game and I'm So Glad I Go to Southern U!!!

wahines said:
Southern had an excellent chance to go for the knockout on Duke. I am proud of the way Southern represented the SWAC and HBCU Basketball.

If Duke plays like garbage aganist GW like it played aganist Southern. Duke will take an early exit and that will make me happy. :mrt:

Me too... if they somehow squeak by GW, they wont make it to the Elite 8...

Good job SU...

Albany scared UConn for 35 minutes... Memphis didnt run Oral Roberts off the floor... yay to parody in this year's tourney (although my bracket is shot to hell)

Robber said:
Them Jags came to play last night and really made an excellent account of themselves against Duke. Y'all shoulda seen me screaming and cheering. Even though it didn't work out in the end, the Jags showed that they could compete with the big boys (I think any other SWAC school woulda gotten blasted in the 1st half).

For one night, I was a Jag. And I was PROUD!!!

Way to go, SU.

Excellent post Robber, I wish we all could feel this way about the success of our member schools.

In_The_662 said:
Me too... if they somehow squeak by GW, they wont make it to the Elite 8...

Good job SU...

Albany scared UConn for 35 minutes... Memphis didnt run Oral Roberts off the floor... yay to parody in this year's tourney (although my bracket is shot to hell)

There were a lot of very good teams coming out of the smaller conferences this year. There were a lot fewer fluke upsets in conference tournament, so the teams that made the tournament generally deserved to be there. This year's tournament had the highest average RPI ever for 14, 15, and 16 seeds. In most years, the 16 seeds this year would have been 15 seeds, the 15 seeds would have been 14 seeds, and so on.

Southern Coach Rob Spivery

Thoughts on the game

"We competed very hard. A little more offensive output by us and it could’ve been a different story. I’m proud of the way our guys really battled. At halftime we were outrebounding them, but in the second half we just didn’t generate enough points to stay close and give ourselves a chance."

On the NCAA Tournament Experience
"I thought we played very hard. We gave great effort tonight the way we battled the number one team with great pride and effort. They are not the number one team for nothing. They are a good basketball team but I am proud of the way our guys competed tonight."

On cutting the Duke lead to three early in the second half
"I told them that we had to remain poised and continue to play with the effort that we were playing with and not to rush on offense. We went back out and rushed a few shots and that is what allowed them to pull away. For the most part, I don’t think we played as well as we could’ve as far as shooting the ball, playing with poise and patience. We just didn’t make some things happen offensively."

Peter Cipriano

On the NCAA Tournament Experience
"This is a lifetime experience and the best experience of my life. Just playing with them (Duke) and competing and giving them an actual scare during the game. Playing against Coach K, and Duke and their school is one of the best experiences of my life."

On Cutting the Duke lead to three early in the second half
"This is real, that we could really beat these guys. We just needed to keep playing as hard as possible. Some shots didn’t fall for us and some shots for them went in, but that’s just how the game goes."

On leaving Southern and advice for the returning players
"Intensity and hard work will continue to build a tradition of winning championships, with us being the (SWAC) champions for the first time in 16 years and hopefully that will keep going (more NCAA bids)."

Back