Props to SU!!!

Robber

Consigliere
Them Jags came to play last night and really made an excellent account of themselves against Duke. Y'all shoulda seen me screaming and cheering. Even though it didn't work out in the end, the Jags showed that they could compete with the big boys (I think any other SWAC school woulda gotten blasted in the 1st half).

For one night, I was a Jag. And I was PROUD!!!

Way to go, SU.

USA today said:
Last season, Duke narrowly beat 16th-seeded Delaware State in the first round, a result that was reminiscent of their seven-point victory over Mississippi Valley State in 1986. Like Southern, those are a historically black colleges.

Good JOB SU, we are VERY PROUD of you!!!!!!!

:)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I don't know what happened to SU last night. They had Duke against the ropes but SU couldn't go for the kill. The big guys in the paint matched up well. But of the life of me I don't know why SU did keep a guy on JJ.

The issue was not if SU could hang with Duke. The issue was WTF happened to SU in the second half. The outside shooters were missing and SU lost their spark.

I enjoyed the way that the refs let the big men bang each other.

I was on the phone with my dad doing play by play because I was able to watch the game in Dallas but my dad (SU alum) couldn't.

Great Job SU.........Them Boyz got serious Heart........No Intimidation.............
singing~Im Sooo Glad I Go To Southern U............

Robber said:
Them Jags came to play last night and really made an excellent account of themselves against Duke. Y'all shoulda seen me screaming and cheering. Even though it didn't work out in the end, the Jags showed that they could compete with the big boys (I think any other SWAC school woulda gotten blasted in the 1st half).

Way to go, SU.

Yes indeed! How 'bout dem JAGS! :tup:

Excellent representation and overall performance in the field of 65, especially against a #1 seed for Southern and the SWAC. Unfortunately, Southern could not pull off the upset.

Duke was ripe for the taking last night. If they play that horrible again in the tourney, they're toast. They have NOTHING beyond Wms and Reddick. (and there are serious flaws in both their games)

I was hoping Spivery put more pressure on their PG, cause he's a turnover machine waiting to happen.

I know it's easier said than done, but Wms was allowed to post way too deep.

If SU had hit some of those shots in the early going of the 2nd half, the game would've been there at the end.

but all in all, a good showing by SU

I knew Duke was beatable and if Southern could have knocked down some 3-point shots in the second half when Duke went on their drought, things could have gotten real interesting. Southern represented us well.:nod:

Duke fans hate seeing SWAC and MEAC school because they know they wont quit and the guard play is usually even which can determine a game if its close. Good fight SU. Now just recruit hard and put that gate around Baton Rouge and keep them kids home to play.(eg. the pt guard from USC is from Glen Oaks) Maybe that will help with some of the attendance problems.

pv_symbiotic said:
I don't know what happened to SU last night. They had Duke against the ropes but SU couldn't go for the kill. The big guys in the paint matched up well. But of the life of me I don't know why SU did keep a guy on JJ.

The issue was not if SU could hang with Duke. The issue was WTF happened to SU in the second half. The outside shooters were missing and SU lost their spark.

I enjoyed the way that the refs let the big men bang each other.

I was on the phone with my dad doing play by play because I was able to watch the game in Dallas but my dad (SU alum) couldn't.

Dude...that darned cold-shooting spurt we always have had during the season came back to bite us in the end....I was at Hooters with my boy and we were saying "Man if Chris and Frost get on we'd be in good shape." It didn't happen. That cold streak was also when Duke got the lead bigger midway through the second half.

Thanx Robber for the show of solidarity. I was pulling for y'alls women's team against Rice. I always pull for the SWAC when we go play the big boys.

Robber said:

Way to go, SU.
Thank you....way to rep, JAGS! :tup:

:jump:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Journalist said:
Thanx Robber for the show of solidarity. I was pulling for y'alls women's team against Rice. I always pull for the SWAC when we go play the big boys.

Exactly...one should NEVER go against their own conference. :tup:

The Jags played well considering the opponent. Yet, I think Duke played sloppy....but this takes away nothing from the Jags because that's what you are supposed to do...capitalize off of another teams sloppiness.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
The Jags played well considering the opponent. Yet, I think Duke played sloppy....but this takes away nothing from the Jags because that's what you are supposed to do...capitalize off of another teams sloppiness.
SU made Duke play sloppy. SU has an excellent defensive team.

Warndalyn said:
Exactly...one should NEVER go against their own conference. :tup:

You know that's the ideal...but unfortunately we got some of

Boondocks-Uncle.jpg
running around here like crabs in a barrel....

I wouldn't care if it's PV taking on Canada in curling?I'm pulling for PV. Just like I'll root for any SWAC member going against the self-proclaimed big boys...

If we woulda pulled the win off, Billy Packer woulda prolly jumped off the top of the state capitol today....

SU gaurd was running the game, he just wasn't hitting the shot. down 4 with about 11min in the game SU was speeding the game up, when they should have burned that clock. JJ just heated up at the end, when he is hot,he is smoking. SU played great!!!! You just cant stop JJ, he hit shots with hands in his eyes.

Journalist said:
You know that's the ideal...but unfortunately we got some of

Boondocks-Uncle.jpg
running around here like crabs in a barrel....

I wouldn't care if it's PV taking on Canada in curling?I'm pulling for PV. Just like I'll root for any SWAC member going against the self-proclaimed big boys...

If we woulda pulled the win off, Billy Packer woulda prolly jumped off the top of the state capitol today....

Exactly...I'm the first to HATE southern when there is SWAC play going on...but when you are playing out of conference...say if southern played Howard in DC...I wouldn't wear an SU shirt...but I will damn sho wear my SWAC jersey shirt and sit on the SU side...

Southern had an excellent chance to go for the knockout on Duke. I am proud of the way Southern represented the SWAC and HBCU Basketball.

If Duke plays like garbage aganist GW like it played aganist Southern. Duke will take an early exit and that will make me happy. :mrt:

If the game would have been in the earlier part of the day, I think the results would have been different. After the upsets and close games and overtimes that occured the yesterday,Duke was ready. Plus Mike Krezyewski every year at the beginning of the NCAA tournament shows his team a tape of the MVSU game in 1986 to get his players in focus.

Great game SU!

Back