Larry Elders - Black Folk's Problems come from Fatherlessness (70%), not Systemic Racism

Dude says it's either self-inflicted or due to Democratic policies (welfare). I think there's other things that must have happened. Lots of folks were messed up from Vietnam. Crack hit the streets and gangs spread everywhere. That births out-of-wedlock rate nearly tripled from 70 to 90.

View: https://youtu.be/l5gANuc3REk?si=qrDqD7nzNZyQMSjh

I think that you hit on a lot of strong points with very few words. I will agree with you that the U.S. government is complicit (crack-Iran Contra & Vietnam-disproportionately blacks on front line) and also raise it with the advent of latch key kids due to the impossibility of 1 family member, traditionally a man, being able to support the entire family with one income. This has killed the nuclear family in so many ways until a dissertation can be written about it.

The title states systemic racism and fatherless in Black America. The fatherless issue started increasing around late 60s early 70s well after the emancipation proclamation. Systemic racism has been going on since the EP. During slavery there was no rights for a family or fairness legislated in slave states….What Elders is wrong about is white people have nothing to do with it (systemic racism and fatherless households).

Last edited:
People who bring up the demise of the "traditional family" and fatherless homes don't understand that the nuclear family and monogamous marriage were literally imposed on natives, Africans, etc., during colonialism to break up our communal kinships and adopt capitalism/European social norms. It's well-documented. It's in the laws.

And most American presidents and secretaries of state come from upper-class class two-parent nuclear family homes. Tell me, what gangs or street dudes have more blood on their hands than them? If you wear a suit and kill thousands of people, nobody calls you a thug for that.

To be honest. It was other africans who kidnapped and sold our ancestors.

Indeed, the idea that “Blacks sold Blacks into slavery” is one of the most successful pieces of racist propaganda ever – despite it being about as absurd as saying Vladmir Putin is bombing “his own people” (in Ukraine). Perhaps most tragically, it has served as a source of continued stigma and division amongst the victims of the crime (i.e. Black people descended from the enslaved and Black people who are not).
The implication is that because Black people share a skin pigmentation or regional origins, they are the “same people”. At the time of the crime, this could not have been further from the truth.
In the same way England, Scotland, Ireland, Japan, China, Korea, etc have seen each other as rivals; Yoruba, Igbo, Urhobo, Dahomey, Itsekiri, Ashanti, Fante, Ga or any of the hundreds of West African ethnic groups didn’t see themselves as fellow “Black people”. A lot of them were rival nations, kingdoms or empires – often warring against each other.

European human traffickers, seeking people they could enslave to cultivate the Americas, arrived in Africa and did what they do: kidnapped and trafficked millions of people. Where they did not go on human snatching rampages, they offered goods, including weapons, in exchange for people.

As in most other places, slavery had existed in parts of Africa for centuries. The enslaved were often prisoners of war or prisoners (the latter remains the effective case in the United States as a result of the 13th amendment to the Constitution).

The arrival of European weaponry created an arms race. Whichever ethnic group had more guns had more power. The coin of exchange the Europeans demanded in return was people. As ethnic studies professor Anthony Q Hazard explains, this reshaped slavery in parts of Africa from the result of wars to the cause of wars.

Because European weapons became essential to survival, some African leaders had two choices: collaborate with European enslavers or perish. Critically, many more Africans violently resisted the trade than were involved in it. They often resisted on humanitarian grounds or in defence of what they considered their actual people, not what we would today monolithically describe as “Africans” or “Black people”. Some West African groups used scarification techniques to clearly mark those who belonged to their group, and thus those for whom they should fight to be protected or liberated from slavery.

Basically, people like Elder makes money promoting the notion that Blacks and liberals are responsible for Black people being over represented in negative statistical categories. Everything goes back to liberals and Black folks for people like him. He says that the Black family was more intact when we were under Jim Crow segregation and poor, which he says was real systemic racism. He says that today, systemic racism no longer exists because this country elected a Black president (right-wing talking point). So, we can't blame systemic racism. Therefore, it's our and the Democrats fault for the 70% out-of-wedlock birth rate. Them folks on the breakfast club tried to push back but they weren't really equipped to deal with his numbers.

Some folks on this board have said we were better off under segregation too.

Just wondering what y'all think the real reasons are behind th 70%.

Last edited:

Indeed, the idea that “Blacks sold Blacks into slavery” is one of the most successful pieces of racist propaganda ever – despite it being about as absurd as saying Vladmir Putin is bombing “his own people” (in Ukraine). Perhaps most tragically, it has served as a source of continued stigma and division amongst the victims of the crime (i.e. Black people descended from the enslaved and Black people who are not).
The implication is that because Black people share a skin pigmentation or regional origins, they are the “same people”. At the time of the crime, this could not have been further from the truth.
In the same way England, Scotland, Ireland, Japan, China, Korea, etc have seen each other as rivals; Yoruba, Igbo, Urhobo, Dahomey, Itsekiri, Ashanti, Fante, Ga or any of the hundreds of West African ethnic groups didn’t see themselves as fellow “Black people”. A lot of them were rival nations, kingdoms or empires – often warring against each other.

European human traffickers, seeking people they could enslave to cultivate the Americas, arrived in Africa and did what they do: kidnapped and trafficked millions of people. Where they did not go on human snatching rampages, they offered goods, including weapons, in exchange for people.

As in most other places, slavery had existed in parts of Africa for centuries. The enslaved were often prisoners of war or prisoners (the latter remains the effective case in the United States as a result of the 13th amendment to the Constitution).

The arrival of European weaponry created an arms race. Whichever ethnic group had more guns had more power. The coin of exchange the Europeans demanded in return was people. As ethnic studies professor Anthony Q Hazard explains, this reshaped slavery in parts of Africa from the result of wars to the cause of wars.

Because European weapons became essential to survival, some African leaders had two choices: collaborate with European enslavers or perish. Critically, many more Africans violently resisted the trade than were involved in it. They often resisted on humanitarian grounds or in defence of what they considered their actual people, not what we would today monolithically describe as “Africans” or “Black people”. Some West African groups used scarification techniques to clearly mark those who belonged to their group, and thus those for whom they should fight to be protected or liberated from slavery.
I understand the different groups but there is a group still holding alot of power in Ghana who made their wealth selling slaves to America. The only reason they stopped was because Great Britian put a blockade up and forced them to stop.

Basically, people like Elder makes money promoting the notion that Blacks and liberals are responsible for Black people being over represented in negative statistical categories. Everything goes back to liberals and Black folks for people like him. He says that the Black family was more intact when we were under Jim Crow segregation and poor, which he says was real systemic racism. He says that today, systemic racism no longer exists because this country elected a Black president (right-wing talking point). So, we can't blame systemic racism. Therefore, it's our and the Democrats fault for the 70% out-of-wedlock birth rate. Them folks on the breakfast club tried to push back but they weren't really equipped to deal with his numbers.

The following is not an exhaustive list, but this is part of what I think:

1. Discrimination - Systemic racism via policies designed to harm black upward mobility.

2. Early welfare policies designed to destroy black fatherhood.

For many years, the nation's primary welfare program, Aid to Families with Dependent Children, denied benefits to families if an adult male was in the house.
https://www.nytimes.com/1983/11/20/...e breadwinner was unemployed or underemployed.
In the 1960s, republicans, dixiecrats and radical southern conservative democrats (who were far more conservative than northern republicans) came up with the strategy that would ultimately break up poor black families by refusing to sign on to any welfare legislation that did not include a “No Man in the House” rule.
No fault divorce - Many sisters chose welfare over their spouse or getting married. Black folk fell right into the trap.

Fifty years ago this summer in 1969, California Governor Ronald Reagan signed the first no-fault divorce statute into law.

The deliberate import of crack cocaine into black communities - Put black dysfunction on steroids, precursor of tough on crime laws and excuse for sentencing disparities between powder and crack cocaine. We are still reeling from the crack cocaine epidemic, but we remain resilient while gradually recovering.

In summary, we either stay woke (self-conscious and self-aware) or perish. This nation is not our friend regardless of its opportunities.

And many states make it illegal for couples who are not married to live with each other. That's why that 70 percent fatherless home number folks like to cite is bullshit when it lacks context. Plus, studies have shown that Black fathers who don't live in the home are more active in their kids' lives than white men. Again, something Larry Elbow won't tell you.

Like I said before, all of this is based on colonialism and how white men wanted the western world to function to preserve the white population.

54 percent of black men are childless and single, and 30 percent are married. That means 16 percent of black men father 73 percent of black kids. I bet if you did a poll on this board you find these stats to be true, and the majority of those who have kids either had them when they were married or are still married.

54 percent of black men are childless and single, and 30 percent are married. That means 16 percent of black men father 73 percent of black kids. I bet if you did a poll on this board you find these stats to be true, and the majority of those who have kids either had them when they were married or are still married.
Yes. In the black fathers group, married or used to be married folks be having 1-2 kids. Some of never been married dudes have 7-8+

And many states make it illegal for couples who are not married to live with each other. That's why that 70 percent fatherless home number folks like to cite is bullshit when it lacks context. Plus, studies have shown that Black fathers who don't live in the home are more active in their kids' lives than white men. Again, something Larry Elbow won't tell you.

Like I said before, all of this is based on colonialism and how white men wanted the western world to function to preserve the white population.

Oh...so he's correlating crime with unwed birth rates instead of poverty so the government doesn't have to be responsible for the conditions they created. And because Black folks have a high %, it's another way to not provide resources to the Black community.

As all can see from this thread, it has been a multi-faceted attack on the black family…..that continues to persist. Some of the horrible exchanges between black men and women I see online and the warped ideologies sometimes make me very sad…..And the great Satan, culprit of it all and his minions that we see everyday, even if it’s on the news in our respective living rooms rejoice and continues to sow hate, deception and confusion.

Yes. In the black fathers group, married or used to be married folks be having 1-2 kids. Some of never been married dudes have 7-8+

Well who targets them?
The same women who will dismiss that data about black men being more active in their kids lives than any other race.

The issues with guys like Elders and guys like him and a certain party-they NEVER EVER go beyond the surface of data. While trying to blame everything on Democrats.

Of that 16% sperm donors father 73%-why is no one trying to pull of data on those men?

How many are unemployed? Drop outs? kept away from their kids by the court and the mother? criminals?

And how many are the pretty boy (with the good hair because he's mixed)? The stud of the hood that every girl lines up to get with? Then we get cases where one guy in the hood is the father of 8 kids who all live within 3 blocks of each other?

I got two cousins who have 17 kids between them. One has nine and his brother got 8. I also know a chick who actually went to A&M that has 7 kids. She makes great money. Actually is a software engineer. She just loves street dudes.

I got two cousins who have 17 kids between them. One has nine and his brother got 8. I also know a chick who actually went to A&M that has 7 kids. She makes great money. Actually is a software engineer. She just loves street dudes.
Lol. U know how it be. I dont judge them tho cause i loved me some hoodrats back in the day man. After a few slashed tires man, i knew i need to leave that alone

We also gotta get rid of folks like Sexyy Red & Sukihana out here putting out music. I know you old folks don't listen to music today, but these two young ladies are doing real damage to this young generation. These young ladies love them. I mean these girls make Too Live Crew seem like Church boys. They got all these young ladies "Going to Pound Town" and talking about getting head and drilled out.

Last edited:
Back