JSU football team loses 2 key components

Prodigy

Boss
July 9, 2002

JSU football team loses 2 key components

By Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Jackson State will be without starting receiver Michael Goss and backup quarterback John Flen when it opens the season Aug. 31 at Southern Miss.

Goss, an 11th-round selection by the Boston Red Sox in June, will miss the season to play professional baseball. Flen is transferring to Tuskegee.

"It's going to be tough," JSU offensive coordinator Darrell Asberry said. "I don't know how I'm going to replace (Goss). I guess one of those young guys is going to have to step in. He wants to play football real bad. We talked about it and I told him he had to look at what was best for him.

"I was hoping (Flen) was going to come back, but I don't think that's what he wants to do. He could've helped us out this year."

Goss, a junior from Louisville, led the Southwestern Athletic Conference in kickoff return average (28.9 yards per return) and also had 19 catches for 254 yards and three touchdowns. There's a possibility Goss could return to play football at JSU in 2003, Asberry said.

Goss recently signed with Boston and is currently playing for the Lowell Spinners in Lowell, Mass., a Class A team in the Red Sox system. He couldn't be reached for comment.

Flen, a sophomore from Avondale, Ga., split time with Brian Green last season as Robert Kent's backups. Flen emerged as the No. 2 quarterback this spring while Green sat out with an injury.

Flen, who saw limited action a year ago, threw for 239 yards and three touchdowns in the spring game.

"I looked at it like a business move," Flen said. "Looking at it, Kent's got two more years and I've got three more years. And one year wasn't going to cut it. I didn't feel like sitting around and waiting.

"I hate to leave Jackson State. I made some good friends while I was there, and it's no disrespect to the coaches. I just felt like it was time for me to go."

JSU's other quarterbacks include Green and incoming freshmen Jeremy Lee of Harrison Central and Elijah McDonald of Morton.

Flen is very smart and so are his parents. This was a good move for him. He would have played a lot more this year but he would have never taken Kent's job.

From what we saw in the Spring game, the kid was ready. We told you all for the last couple of weeks that he was the third best QB in the SWAC. I just wish a SWAC school had picked him up. He is going to kill the SIAC.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Tigerpride

I just wish a SWAC school had picked him up.

TP,

Going to another SWAC school (or any I-AA school) would have kinda defeated the purpose because he would have had to sit out a year. By transferring to a Div. II school he can play immediately, and that is apparently what the young man is looking to do.

Flen is very smart and so are his parents. This was a good move for him. He would have played a lot more this year but he would have never taken Kent's job.

From what we saw in the Spring game, the kid was ready. We told you all for the last couple of weeks that he was the third best QB in the SWAC. I just wish a SWAC school had picked him up. He is going to kill the SIAC.

TP,
Flen would have had to sit out a year if had transferred to a SWAC school like Lionel Hayes did when he left SU for GSU because we are bll 1-AA and it was not moving down(well it was for Hayes ~snicker~) sorry I couldn't resist. But since Flen is transferring to Tuskegee who is D-2, he can go play right away without having to wait. Plus since he is from Georgia, he is close to home. I guess Bama State will find out all about Flen when they play TU.:D

...and Goss needs to move on.

And why is this? Goss was selected in the 11th round. Now I could understand if he went in rounds 1 - 5 but 11? In the earlier rounds the money and signing bonuses are decent but the 11th?

Was his decision made due to grades or him not able to coexist with Hughes?

I hope the brother wasn't listening to an agent.

I really hated to lose Flen, but Goss can go....no problem there. His position was shakey anyway. I wish him the best.

I agree.

We have a guy from Provine High School, that in my opinion, is way faster than Goss. I think he'll step in and fill the shoes on the kickoff returns. I think his name is McGlinchy. Can someone confirm or clarify this for me.

And I'm really impressed by this kid, Lee, from Harrison Central. I'm sure by the start of the season he'll be the #2 QB.

His name is McGinty. He is much faster than Goss and should do well at kick off return. Dude runs a sub 4.3.......

Goss' job was already solidified by McGinty, Cletis Gordon, Mike Johnson and Mario Young

Well I, for one, I think that Goss will be missed. He led the league in KO return average for crying out loud. McGinty may be fast, but he is VERY small and if he doesn't lead the ENTIRE SWAC in KO return yardage, then you can't say that he has filled Goss' void.

Now from a slot stand point, I'm positive that one of those other guys will step up and offset Goss' departure.

Prod

I know we're on the same team here. But Goss didn't break any tackles to get those yards on kickoff returns. Heck, he's just as small as McGinty. Maybe a tad bit taller.

It was his sure speed that got those yards. He ran 20 yds before the kickoff coverage even got there.

So that's why I am saying McGinty will fill the void. Speed kills my brother! That's all I am saying.

Based on the things you've told us over the years and how inaccurate they were, why should we believe you about this dude.

Remember you said Daniel Guy would be a first round pick...you told us that TC Taylor was better than Michael Vick...you told us that JState would win the SWAC (yall ain't "smelt" a divisional championship)...you said Kent would be Offensive MVP (not with 21 int's a season).

You're credibility in suspect at best. No I'm not gonna lie...you're credibility is comical. The fact that he passed for 239 yards in your spring game means nothing. Your defense got shredded like Enron documents by every team you played. Hell, I bet Gunn at Annie Mae had his best passing day against that weak defense. Hell, maybe the dude wanted to go somewhere that knows how to beat Bama State!

Well given that we lost our 4 year starter at QB and his backup, this is good news in Golden Tiger land. My understanding is that he will battle with another transfer for the starting job.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
...you told us that JState would win the SWAC (yall ain't "smelt" a divisional championship)...
LOL @MikeBigg
Originally posted by MikeBigg

You're credibility in suspect at best. No I'm not gonna lie...you're credibility is comical.
LOL even harder @MikeBigg

Mike

Thank you for those laughs. I needed that after this work day.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
. . . . hmmmmmm . . . . let's see. According to ESPN.Com, in John Flen's illustrious career, he has completed a staggering 5 passes for a mind-blowing 34 yards on an astounding 19 attempts with a jaw-dropping 1.8 yards per attempt .

WOW

Cancel the Heisman, this man is in like "Flen".

John Flen
Quarterback | #17 | Freshman | Roster

Height: 6-2
Weight: 210 lbs.
Hometown: Avondale Estates, GA
Totals Passing Rushing
SEASON RECORD CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG TD
2001 7-4 5 19 34 26.3 1.8 0 0 41.3 10 -24 -2.4 1

2001 Game Log Passing Rushing
DATE & OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG TD
9/1 Howard Win 27-17 1 3 10 33.3 3.3 0 0 61.3 2 -15 -7.5 0
9/22 @MVSU Win 66-36 Did not play
9/29 @Alabama A&M Win 26-14 Did not play
10/6 Alabama St Loss 61-58 Did not play
10/13 Southern Win 24-21 Did not play
10/20 Gram St Loss 30-16 Did not play
10/27 Ark-PB Win 14-9 2 7 12 28.6 1.7 0 0 43.0 3 10 3.3 0
11/3 NC A&T Loss 42-35 Did not play
11/10 @PV A&M Win 38-20 1 1 6 100.0 6.0 0 0 150.4 1 1 1.0 1
11/17 Alcorn St Win 52-28 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0.0 1 -3 -3.0 0
11/22 @Tenn St Loss 64-33 1 4 6 25.0 1.5 0 0 37.6 2 -14 -7.0 0

2000 Game Log Passing Rushing
DATE & OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG TD
9/2 @Howard Win 34-16 Did not play
9/9 Tex South Loss 19-15 Did not play
9/16 @Tenn St Win 42-39 (OT) Did not play
9/23 @Southern Win 13-10 Did not play
10/7 @Alabama St Loss 35-24 Did not play
10/14 MVSU Win 64-20 Did not play
10/21 @Gram St Loss 33-30 Did not play
10/28 @Ark-PB Loss 48-41 Did not play
11/4 Alabama A&M Win 34-28 (OT) Did not play
11/11 New Haven Win 38-37 Did not play
11/18 Alcorn St Win 30-14 Did not play

Deuce,

I don't remember anyone touting him to win the heisman. He's inexperienced, he's young, as I'm sure your next QB will be. Like I said he's not going to just waltz in on the starting job at TU. He's going to have to fight for it.

TigerPride, GIT READY

YEA YEA YEA, Are you smiling Now :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Alcorn will be in Birmingham, told you didn't I

Originally posted by CATMENDUE2

. . . Alcorn will be in Birmingham . . .

Unless you are coming to see COLEBLOODED FOOTBALL, I wouldn't make my reservations just yet.

Deuce,

You probably said the same thing when QB Cedrick Dupree and TE Marquez Thomas transferred to Tuskegee from Alabama State two years ago. Both of them came back to Montgomery, Alabama and beat Alabama State in 2000 and 2001. As a matter of fact, the last TD pass from Dupree to Thomas was the winning touchdown in the 2001 game. Dupree and Thomas went 23-1 after they left ASU. They are wearing two championship rings each. There have been no championship rings in football at ASU in 11 years.

Originally posted by TUSports

You probably said the same thing when QB Cedrick Dupree and TE Marquez Thomas transferred to Tuskegee from Alabama State two years ago.

No TU Sports,

I did not say that when those two young men transferred.

When they transferred, both of them were pretty much proven commodities, especially Marquez Thomas.

I'm just giving the facts.

Back