Jackson Water Crisis

This is really bad:

Every few months, scientists issue a report on parts of the world that are no longer habitable. Usually, the areas listed will suffer from extreme temperatures or drought. U.S. regions have started to appear on these lists. The reason often is flooding, although drought is a hallmark of future trouble in parts of the Southwest, including Nevada and California. Floods already have killed a number of people this year. The most recent of these have been floods in Tennessee and Kentucky. The incidents have caused hundreds of millions of dollars and taken lives.

Dangerous floods now are expected in parts of Mississippi. The mayor of Jackson, Mississippi, recently told residents of parts of the city to “get out now,” according to CNN. The city faced a similar problem in February 2020. As is often the case, areas that are dangerous because of extreme weather go through the same catastrophe over and over. Other examples are wildfires and portions of the Atlantic coast and Gulf of Mexico that are hit by hurricanes.

Climate scientists see no reason to believe the problems in these deeply troubled areas will ever improve. That means residents will never get any relief from these dangerous and unpredictable situations. Water levels have risen steadily along some American coasts and will never drop again. Wildfire areas will suffer from drought that will never go away.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
The governors of Mississippi have been punishing Jackson for running white people away (used to be majority white) and being a predominately black city that refuses to give up full control of prized resources within the city (like the airport which is the largest in MS) to state leadership (klansmen w/o hoods). For decades they have refused to provide Jxn with the proper resources and support hence the water crises and other serious issues plaguing the city ... turning Jxn to an almost Third World country.

I just read that Jxn could possibly be without reliable water indefinitely so I'm thinking how will this impact JSU (academics, athletics, recruitment, homecoming, etc)? This is so sad but Jxn I feel is damned and will continue on a downward spiral. JSU is like the only bright light about Jxn but I wonder how long will that last giving the major ridiculousness happening around it nowadays. I just couldn't image living in a capital U.S. city without reliable water smh. Prayers for Jxn and get out if you can.

Last edited:
Can the Corp of Engineers do anything? Seems like you could dam up something or bring in a better filtration system to get more drinking water. I doubt this happened without a warning smh

Can the Corp of Engineers do anything? Seems like you could dam up something or bring in a better filtration system to get more drinking water. I doubt this happened without a warning smh

State wouldn't help with this either.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

State wouldn't help with this either.
My birth home is in Neshoba County, Northeast of Jackson. And where the Pearl River begins (Nainya Creek). 30 years ago, they had a plan to build a reservoir on the border of Leake Count and Neshoba, it never happen. Than the Easter flood of 79 happen which put the Coliseum with water up to it's top. Still nothing was done and Jackson was majority white at the time. IDK.
When I read in news, a few days ago, that water was over the highway in Neshoba county, I knew right than, Jackson may be in trouble.

Either they are overexaggerating the issues or the people of Jackson are they can't leave for whatever reason. I'm not really seeing a mass exodus of people out of Jackson or shut down .... I just read Jackson High School sports are expected to continue.

I'm not understanding how the largest city in the state is able to operate without reliable water. And also read that the governor has his own personal water system at his mansion in Jackson.

Last edited:
Either they are overexaggerating the issues or the people of Jackson are they can't leave for whatever reason. I'm not really seeing a mass exodus of people out of Jackson or shut down .... I just read Jackson High School sports are expected to continue.

I'm not understanding how the largest city in the state is able to operate without reliable water. And also read that the governor has his own personal water system at his mansion in Jackson.

If I was a coach and had to play in Jackson I would not field my team.

If I was a coach and had to play in Jackson I would not field my team.
Same. I don't know why people in Jackson are being so nonchalant about non-reliable water ... they saying no baths, no brushing teeth ... like if I was in Jackson I would sell everything and leave the whole state! I guess they're so used to dsyfunctional living, this ain't much of a surprise. Jackson get it bad almost in everything (high crime, mostly bad schools, lack of resources, bad streets, flooding prone, etc) so that's why I root for JSU when they not playing us ... for many Jackson residents it's the only thing that makes them enjoy life in Jackson.

Same. I don't know why people in Jackson are being so nonchalant about non-reliable water ... they saying no baths, no brushing teeth ... like if I was in Jackson I would sell everything and leave the whole state! I guess they're so used to dsyfunctional living, this ain't much of a surprise. Jackson get it bad almost in everything (high crime, mostly bad schools, lack of resources, bad streets, flooding prone, etc) so that's why I root for JSU when they not playing us ... for many Jackson residents it's the only thing that makes them enjoy life in Jackson.
I mean, that sounds all well and good requesting folks leave, but 23 percent of the city falls below the poverty line. And with the state of the housing and rental market everywhere, it would be difficult to find affordable housing for most people in this position.

Where are they going to go. Think of Houston after Hurricane. I was here for Ike and Harvey. I didn't go anywhere. I needed to protect my property for one. And I had bottled water. Didn't shower for several days, just a wash off with the water I had stored. Got through it. And I am sure it is overexaggerated some, especially when the news reporters get involved. That is their job to get everyone excited and talking.
Just like when a little disturbance is out in the Gulf. Weather people get all excited....scare people.

I mean, that sounds all well and good requesting folks leave, but 23 percent of the city falls below the poverty line. And with the state of the housing and rental market everywhere, it would be difficult to find affordable housing for most people in this position.
I understand that but poor people move all the time. Shit when I graduated college I moved states with less than $200 to my name. I stayed with family until I could get on my feet and moved out with 4-5 months with my own apt
Where are they going to go. Think of Houston after Hurricane. I was here for Ike and Harvey. I didn't go anywhere. I needed to protect my property for one. And I had bottled water. Didn't shower for several days, just a wash off with the water I had stored. Got through it. And I am sure it is overexaggerated some, especially when the news reporters get involved. That is their job to get everyone excited and talking.
Just like when a little disturbance is out in the Gulf. Weather people get all excited....scare people.
I'm hoping they can leverage technology to make for a better transition in a new state. You can rent a room online for a couple hundred bucks a month .... I've seen it .... how you start is not necessarily how it's gonna end.

And one of the reasons I left Houston after college was hurricanes and flooding ... you asking for trouble living that close to the gulf. I went to "higher grounds" and haven't had to deal with any major flooding or strong hurricanes/tropical storms since. I know seafood is great and rent is lower than average along the gulf but it's just not worth the trouble to me b/c you just never know when the next big storm is gonna hit

The governor is telling people not to use the water and residents in the city are posting photos and videos online about what the water situation is at their homes, but you're blaming the media for trying to "get everyone excited?" Nah, it's bad. Maybe some people can cope better than others, but nobody is exaggerating.

I understand that but poor people move all the time. Shit when I graduated college I moved states with less than $200 to my name. I stayed with family until I could get on my feet and moved out with 4-5 months with my own apt
You could afford to do that as a college kid because you likely didn't have a job that you could just up and leave, kids, rent, or a mortgage pay like the majority of the folks in Jackson do.

Last edited:
You could afford to do that as a college kid because you likely didn't have a job that you could just up and leave, kids, rent, or a mortgage pay like the majority of the folks in Jackson do.
I'm well aware of that but the bottom line is strategize to leave. If the white folks want Jackson back let them have it! Jackson ain't really serving the black community anyway ... it's a huge struggle to live there for the average black person. There's only 1 Walmart in the whole city, most neighborhoods don't have grocery stores, the crime is outrageous, the police dept is overwhelmed, water ain't never working, low economic growth in the city, very few opportunities in the city, black home ownership is lagging. And they don't have to leave right away, but within 1-2 years is doable.

Back