Jackson State's head coach Tomekia Reed interview with the Basketball podcast

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Y’all need to give your new coach her own thread.

As I observed Tomekia do her job, it appears to me she relied on the input of her assistant coaches. I thought hiring Tomekia’s top assistant would have been a good option.

Looking at the new coach conference record at Bama A&M she is not that bad. Taking into the consideration the facilities at A&M, she did do more with less.

Y’all need to give your new coach her own thread.

As I observed Tomekia do her job, it appears to me she relied on the input of her assistant coaches. I thought hiring Tomekia’s top assistant would have been a good option.

Looking at the new coach conference record at Bama A&M she is not that bad. Taking into the consideration the facilities at A&M, she did do more with less.
A&M has a brand new arena - nice campus - city that's a destination area - she had enough lol

Tomekia Reed received a sizeable raise when she left Jackson State on April 25 to become the women's basketball coach at Charlotte.

Reed signed a five-year, $1.5 million deal to coach the 49ers, according to a copy of the contract the Clarion Ledger obtained through a public records request.

The annual average of $300,000 is more than double the $135,000 she made annually at Jackson State under a four-year contract that expired March 31. A source told the Clarion Ledger on April 2 that Jackson State was preparing to offer Reed a four-year, $1 million contract to remain as coach.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
reed-impact-500x800.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said in one of my previous post....when one of my fellow posters said it wasn't about the money.💰
It may not have been "just" about the money...but she sure is getting more of it.
With 6 figure bonus potential...

The way budgets are right now at our ( HBCU) schools....It would seem reckless to pay that kind of money without a guaranteed return. And with the way the portal is right now....There may never be a guaranteed return because of roster turnover every year...

As I said in one of my previous post....when one of my fellow posters said it wasn't about the money.💰
It may not have been "just" about the money...but she sure is getting more of it.
With 6 figure bonus potential...

The way budgets are right now at our ( HBCU) schools....It would seem reckless to pay that kind of money without a guaranteed return. And with the way the portal is right now....There may never be a guaranteed return because of roster turnover every year...
As stated several times before. Her leaving at the very last minute was NOT about MONEY. You're on the outside looking in. Furthermore that contract has an extra year so of course it would be higher than her new contract offer at THEE

Last edited:
I was just talking to some friends about this the other day. For a SWAC University what’s the return on paying someone this type of money in women’s basketball? Ok so is paid this Charlotte salary and goes undefeated in the SWAC 5 straight years then what? What is your return on investment? We cant say that going undefeated is putting butts in the seat. Jackson State was 6th in SWAC women’s basketball … attendance averaging 1180 people a game. Someone help me out.

I was just talking to some friends about this the other day. For a SWAC University what’s the return on paying someone this type of money in women’s basketball? Ok so is paid this Charlotte salary and goes undefeated in the SWAC 5 straight years then what? What is your return on investment? We cant say that going undefeated is putting butts in the seat. Jackson State was 6th in SWAC women’s basketball … attendance averaging 1180 people a game. Someone help me out.
Charlotte's women's team averaged 800 fans per home game last year. What is the ROI for them paying Reed her current salary?

Hes possibly the same guy that ran out of swac page on Facebook when folks didn't agree with him 😆 🤣 😂

But to answer your question she brought national attention to the program and JSU that we haven't seen (for whatever that's worth to you). Monetarily the program paid for itself so it wouldn't negatively impact our budget either way. Not quite sure how much revenue post season tournament games yields but eventually(I think) she'd win a couple. Sponsorships could have also been an avenue for the program/coach as well... as the popularity of the program increased. We paid CP over 300k a year but he made well over 1 million in Sponsorship money.

Back