Jackson State's head coach Tomekia Reed interview with the Basketball podcast

Charlotte's women's team averaged 800 fans per home game last year. What is the ROI for them paying Reed her current salary?
Absolutely nothing…. But I said that to say this….. we have to start supporting these winning programs even more…. No knock on any of the real fans… but I simply dont see how a woman who has ran through the SWAC multiple years doesnt play in front of a sold out arena each home game. What she did for that program is no different from what Staley did for USC.

Absolutely nothing…. But I said that to say this….. we have to start supporting these winning programs even more…. No knock on any of the real fans… but I simply dont see how a woman who has ran through the SWAC multiple years doesnt play in front of a sold out arena each home game. What she did for that program is no different from what Staley did for USC.
USC was competing for and winning national championships with Staley. That sort of success will galvanize a fanbase. And no matter how good JSU was under Reed (and they were great), they would not reach that level of achievement simply because of a talent disparity.

Also, you have to look at the SWAC basketball fan base as a whole. No matter how successful a team is (men or women), it doesn't lead to a consistent explosion in attendance. There are few sold-out games anywhere in the league.

USC was competing for and winning national championships with Staley. That sort of success will galvanize a fanbase. And no matter how good JSU was under Reed (and they were great), they would not reach that level of achievement simply because of a talent disparity.

Also, you have to look at the SWAC basketball fan base as a whole. No matter how successful a team is (men or women), it doesn't lead to a consistent explosion in attendance. There are few sold-out games anywhere in the league.

Totally agree with you… that’s WE ALL have a problem…. Also why im saying I personally dont see the need to pay a woman’s head coach in this conference 300k… I just dont see a return on it.

no matter how good JSU was under Reed (and they were great), they would not reach that level of achievement simply because of a talent disparity.

The above talent disparity is why I somewhat understand SWAC fans apathy . No matter how many conference titles you win they are just 1st rd. Tournament fodder( One tourney win both men & women's since 1985 , excluding "play in"). I was a very apathetic fan once myself so I can somewhat understand considering our best Black talent has abandoned the Conference. I appreciate the young people that do want to come play here though & I try my best to support them. Even if some athletes have settled for our schools & are looking for something "better".

no matter how good JSU was under Reed (and they were great), they would not reach that level of achievement simply because of a talent disparity.

The above talent disparity is why I somewhat understand SWAC fans apathy . No matter how many conference titles you win they are just 1st rd. Tournament fodder( One tourney win both men & women's since 1985 , excluding "play in"). I was a very apathetic fan once myself so I can somewhat understand considering our best Black talent has abandoned the Conference. I appreciate the young people that do want to come play here though & I try my best to support them. Even if some athletes have settled for our schools & many are looking for something "better" in the portal.

Back