Is TSU-Prairie View the best hbcu rivalry across all swac sports?

the band fan

Baseball Fan
Before y'all chastise me and call me names - is tsu and pv the best overall rivalry in swac sports based on interest across the board?

It's the highest attended football game for both schools at their stadiums normally

It's the highest attended basketball annually in the swac when it's in Houston and probably the best pure event hands down - at pv it's their best game but seating has limited who can see it

In baseball macgregor park is jam packed normally when both teams play...Same situation in softball and volleyball (game drew well on a Monday despite it being moved to a neutral site)

Both schools have high attended track meets

-----

I laid out the metrics to go by based on 30 years of being there and seeing how it works in Louisiana also so don't give me any flack and trying to argue using football numbers only and trying to say it's like that across the board cause we know it's not once football ends

I mentioned at least 6 sports

Before y'all chastise me and call me names - is tsu and pv the best overall rivalry in swac sports based on interest across the board?

It's the highest attended football game for both schools at their stadiums normally

It's the highest attended basketball annually in the swac when it's in Houston and probably the best pure event hands down - at pv it's their best game but seating has limited who can see it

In baseball macgregor park is jam packed normally when both teams play...Same situation in softball and volleyball (game drew well on a Monday despite it being moved to a neutral site)

-----

I laid out the metrics to go by based on 30 years of being there and seeing how it works in Louisiana also so don't give me any flack and trying to argue using football numbers only and trying to say it's like that across the board cause we know it's not once football ends

Well, I can't speak for all sports, but the TSU/PVAM rivalry in track and field is the stuff of legends.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

-----

Is enough known about the rivalry between BC & FAMU to determine anything?

He said All sports.... All sports is a stretch when you consider the word ALL... lol

I dont think the football rivalry is really ALL THAT for TxSo-PV.
I would probably have to go with the BAMAs on this one. JSU-Alcorn basketball used to be SUPER LIT! Not a seat in the house in a hot azz gym.
A&T vs NCCU could be another one but I would need the experts to chime in.

Also, you have to put words into perspective here. The word is RIVALRY. Do the BAMAs hate each other?
JSU and SU probably have the MOST vitriol for each other in ALL sports...including band, dominoes, hop-scotch, water polo, etc...

Hate does not mean a rivalry.....

In football GSU and SU may have one of the largest rivalries because we literally have parents like my mom and dad where my mom went to GSU and my dad SU. The funniest stuff is my two cousins who went to Morehouse and Xavier. They always feel left out of the beef.

It was so bad one Bayou Classic the family went to eat at the Chop House in NOLA and my uncle who went to SU only made reservations for the family members who went to SU. My aunt went to GSU....she was .38 HOT!!!

It's a sport by sport thing....

I'm talking about more than football which makes it a true rivalry where there's interest across the board -

numbers don't lie and several folks on this board have seen it up close not affiliated with either school

For football IMO, I will always say JSU vs SU. That is the definition of a true rivalry. It's about as pure as it gets when it comes to that one. I have been to alot of football games, HBCU and PWI. BoomBox is a top tier rivalry.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Well, I can't speak for all sports, but the TSU/PVAM rivalry in track and field is the stuff of legends.

A little off topic, I saw PV & TXSU doing their thing in the U of H indoors a few days ago. S.U. represented as well. I believe up next is the SWAC indoors (expecting jsu & Bama St to be in the mix).

I think we have to define rivalry. As far as football I believe SU-JSU “hate” each other more than AAMU-ASU. With us it’s justA big family reunion. Most Black families in the state have family members between both of the schools. There is no “fighting” or altercations between fans just good old fashion ish talking then kichin it after the game. Basketball USE to be crazy before the recent changes to neutral and pre covid before Elmore was renovated and seats were taken out. It will get back up there.

Valley/JSU at Valley in the old New Gym was the best atmosphere in the SWAC hands down. Even up until a few years ago when the bottom fell out from under basketball, we still packed out the new New Gym.

I saw Tre Johnson come into the old New Gym and shoot the cover off the ball as well as us during our 17 game winning streak in the final days of the New Gym

He said All sports.... All sports is a stretch when you consider the word ALL... lol

I dont think the football rivalry is really ALL THAT for TxSo-PV.
I would probably have to go with the BAMAs on this one. JSU-Alcorn basketball used to be SUPER LIT! Not a seat in the house in a hot azz gym.
A&T vs NCCU could be another one but I would need the experts to chime in.
Man the Aggie Eagle Classic was a great rivalry. Especially when NCCU's football team started closing the gap on A&T.

Also, you have to put words into perspective here. The word is RIVALRY. Do the BAMAs hate each other?
JSU and SU probably have the MOST vitriol for each other in ALL sports...including band, dominoes, hop-scotch, water polo, etc...
Not hop scotch LMAO

I'm talking about more than football which makes it a true rivalry where there's interest across the board -

numbers don't lie and several folks on this board have seen it up close not affiliated with either school

I know...that's why I said it depends on the sport.....two schools overall.....it's impossible in the SWAC. Our families are so diversed when it comes to educations at various SWAC schools.

The answer to your question is an unequivocal No. The TSU/PV basketball rivalry is not the biggest in attendance annually. If memory serves me correctly, just last year the SU/GSU game, played in BR, drew more than 7300 fans, the largest attendance that year for a SWAC basketball game.

Last edited:
The answer to your question is an unequivocal No. The TSU/PV basketball rivalry is not the biggest in attendance annually. If memory serves me correctly, just last 0year the SU/GSU game, played in BR, drew more than 7300 fans, t he largest attendance that year for a SWAC basketball game.
Was it really 7300? Lol tsu and pv have been standing room only with people to prove it

Back