I'm not a big hockey fan but...

Originally posted by northern tiger
I still don't appreciate what they did to the brother back in 2000.
McSoreley/ Brashear fiasco was a brutal one. Except that a stick was used that laid Brashaer out for a period of time. McSoreley was not only suspended but prosecuted by the Vancouver police.

There were some brutal plays in the past in the NHL. I know this won't be the last of it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Set it up like they do in college and the olympics. YOU FIGHT, YOUR KICKED OUT OF THAT GAME AND THE NEXT. I will gurantee you if these players know they will miss at least 2 games, there will be a drastic decline in fights in this sport.:cool:

DonTiger,

I have had my abundance of fights in my lifetime so far, and one thing I never did was sucker punch the other person I was fighting. That's weak. Moreso, I never broke anyone's neck doing it. Accident or not. You're trying to make it into a good clean fight which it is far from.

Originally posted by jstate83
Set it up like they do in college and the olympics. YOU FIGHT, YOUR KICKED OUT OF THAT GAME AND THE NEXT. I will gurantee you if these players know they will miss at least 2 games, there will be a drastic decline in fights in this sport.:cool:

My point is that the NHL won't do anything like this. THEY WANT PLAYERS TO FIGHT. THEY USE THE FIGHTING TO HELP MARKET THE SPORT. Why do you think ESPN highlights the fights every night?

My issue with the NHL is that they are ostracizing Bertuzzi for something that they openly condone purely becuase the severity of Moore's injuries are so dramatic. These guys are on television talking like two faced forked tounged holy men when most of them have sucker punched a guy during their career. I said before, if Moore had turned around and squared-up to fight Bertuzzi, this wouldn't even be a news story. Just another fight in the NHL glorified by ESPN.

Originally posted by Mr. SWAC
DonTiger,

I have had my abundance of fights in my lifetime so far, and one thing I never did was sucker punch the other person I was fighting. That's weak. Moreso, I never broke anyone's neck doing it. Accident or not. You're trying to make it into a good clean fight which it is far from.

I'm not trying to justify what Bertuzzi did. Where I'm from we called that a "sneak" and only sissy's would "sneak" you instead of facing up like a man and boxing.

What I am trying to do is call out all this hypocrits of the NHL pretending like they are so chivalrous. These chumps have all sucker punched a guy. Or if not sucker-punched, slashed a guy across the back of the calf or cross checked a guy from behind or something to the effect. But now these jerks get on T.V. and throw bolders at Bertuzzi like they are saints are something.

Look, I can't get on this board or on the tube and call out Vin Baker for drinking. NO I AINT NO ALCOHOLIC but I am a native of South Louisiana and have a drink or two when I dam_ well please. I'm sure most of us do. SO HOW IN THE HELL WOULD WE LOOK getting on T.V. saying "Vin Baker is a disgrace to black people. He is a drunken idiot and should be kicked out of basketball. He is this and He is that" I know I'd be the biggest hypocrite alive. Yes Baker is extreme and has let alcohol take control of his life but he is not guilty of some obscene sin againts humanity that none of us aren't guilty of either.

NEITHER IS BERTUZZI !! He's not guilty of some obscene mutation of brutality that this league doesn't see every night.

THAT'S MY POINT !

This is one man's opinion.
-----

Thursday, March 11, 2004

Bertuzzi a product of hockey's culture

By Jim Kelley
ESPN.com

The best and brightest minds in the NHL did the best they could in navigating the issues and elements relating to Todd Bertuzzi's contemptible hit on Steve Moore. In suspending Bertuzzi for the remainder of the regular season and the playoffs, and opting to re-examine whether the punishment will still fit the crime when training camps reopen, the NHL has taken a huge step in the right direction in punishing such acts.

But it doesn't really matter.

What the NHL did is what the NHL always does in these circumstances: It denies the problem is systemic. It argues that such acts do not belong in the game, are not a part of its game and should never be considered part of the game.

But that's not true.

What Bertuzzi did to Moore -- seeking him out with the intent to physically harm him, and doing so from behind -- has been a part of hockey for as long as the game has existed. It's as much a part of the culture of the game as sticks and skates and pucks.

It's also, in very large part, a Canadian thing.

Back