I'm not a big hockey fan but...

s phi s

The One Man Band
Did anyone see the sucker punch delivered by Vancouver's Todd Bertuzzi that broke the neck of Colorado's Steve Moore? It was apparently in retaliation to an on ice hit from Moore during a previous meeting that sidelined a Colorado player for 3 games. Bertuzzi skated up behind him, grabbed his jersey, punched him in the face from behind, then rode him face-first into the ice. Moore suffered a broken neck, deep facial cuts, and a concussion and will miss the rest of the season. Bertuzzi was immediately and indefinitely suspended pending a hearing today with the NHL.

Anybody see it? What should the punsihment be? How far is too far when sticking up for a teammate?

It would be altogether the same for a baseball pitcher to retaliate for a hit batsman by throwing at a guy's head and hitting him in the face and ending his career.

I saw that!!!!!
:eek::eek:

It was lights out for that guy as soon as he got punched. He was out!!!!!

A low rent, sucker punch if I ever saw one before.
:smh::smh:

That guy who punched him will pay severely.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The punch was bad, but did he have to slam the man's head into the ice? That was the worse of it all. He should be in someone's jail.

Originally posted by JSU*Toi
I saw it on ESPN this morning... :smh: he needs to sit in someones jail for that.

ESPN even showed an interview with Bertuzzi after a similar incident occured to one of his teammates in a game a few years back. He was like, "He should pay severly. There is no place in hockey for that. The league should punish him severely."

I disagree.

There is a place in North American hockey for that. Thats all American hockey is..fight after fight after fight. When those guys go play international hockey, they dont do that. Its not "a part of the game."

You ever notice no one ever calls a hockey player a thug after an incident like this. If that had been an NBA player doing something like that, the first thing out of the commentators mouth would have been "thuggish."

The punch (from behind) was awesome, the shove into the ice was on another level. Can you imagine that feeling? And to top it off, he broke the dudes neck.

All this talk about Barry Bonds and Terrell Owens, yet this guy is not going to take half the heat those guys get in the media.

Hypocritical

I think the NHL and all of these sports writers that are bashing Bertuzi are a bunch of Hypocrites.

I mean, the guy punched the player. Granted it was a cheap shot but it's not like he high sticked-him or slashed him or used a weapon or slammed him head 1st into the boards. HE JUST PUNCHED THE GUY. And as far as the "riding him head 1st into the ice", have any of you ever ice skated? Well, I contend that Bertuzi was simply off balance as he threw the blow and the guy fell, Bertuzi was holding on and simply began to fall with him. Now the brunt of the impact for the landing was not just because of Bertuzi's weight, noone is talking about the other guys teammate who called himself trying to help but ended up just creating a pilling on effect that contributed to the whole impact of the fall. Further more, every body is treating this guy like some innocent victim. Did any of you see what he did a few weeks back to warrant this retaliation. He skated full speed and blind sided the other guy in the temple with his elbow. Knocked him out and gave him a concusion that sidelined him for three games. Now compared to one sucker punch, I would say blind siding a guy in the temple at full speed is much worse. But the differece is the injury wasn't as severe. Because this guy broke his neck and all, folks are screaming bloody murder. Imagine if he hadn't been knocked out. What if he had simply turned around and started swinging back and a brawl took place. There would have been no suspensions and the highlight may not have even made sportsecenter. but because by chance the injury to this guy was severe, now this sucker punch is such a capital crime. HYPOCRITICAL I say.

The NHL's rules allow guys to stand there and duke it out blow for blow. The refs are not to step in and stop it until somebody falls down. They sell the violence of the sport to the fans as part of its appeal. And now the powers that be want to stand up there and act so moral and holyer than thow. "Oh there's no place in the game for this type of violence" when they don't break-up fights until a guy gets knocked on his as_. HYPOCRITES I say. Every other pro sport supsends its players for fighting at all. NOT HOCKEY. Why is that do you think? HYPOCRITIES I say again. All the guy did was through a sucker punch in a game where fighting is not only acceptable, but marketed as part of the lure of the sport.

GIVE BERTUZI A BREAK !

Re: Hypocritical

Originally posted by DonTiger
I think the NHL and all of these sports writers that are bashing Bertuzi are a bunch of Hypocrites.

I mean, the guy punched the player. Granted it was a cheap shot but it's not like he high sticked-him or slashed him or used a weapon or slammed him head 1st into the boards. HE JUST PUNCHED THE GUY. And as far as the "riding him head 1st into the ice", have any of you ever ice skated? Well, I contend that Bertuzi was simply off balance as he threw the blow and the guy fell, Bertuzi was holding on and simply began to fall with him.

Uuuh dude...I stopped reading right there. That dude drilled his head into the ice. No need in playing Johnny Cochran for him...he did it and he meant to do it.

He should show up in court like Micheal Irvin with a mink on and tell the judge to kiss his ass cause he meant to do it.

Legal?

Originally posted by Robber
DonTiger,

Moored didn't blindside Betuzzi's teammate. It was a legal check.

A legal check to the temple of an opposing player that's not looking. OK

That's legal !

Even sadder commentary for the hypocracy of this witch hunt if you can blindside a man in the temple and it be considered legal.

Re: Re: Hypocritical

Originally posted by Get Ready
Uuuh dude...I stopped reading right there. That dude drilled his head into the ice. No need in playing Johnny Cochran for him...he did it and he meant to do it.

He should show up in court like Micheal Irvin with a mink on and tell the judge to kiss his ass cause he meant to do it.

O.K.,

The severity of the fall to the ice is debatable and up to ones own perception. I didn't see it as malicious. Whichever the case though, is this so drastically out of line for hockey violence.

GR, do yo not believe this to be a dog and pony show of hypocracy by the NHL? Was what he did so much more serious than any of the other 4,000 hockey fights the league markets every year by not supsending the culprits or ESPN glorifies every night by showing the highlights?

DT

I really dont care about hockey, but that was a low blow. Usually hockey FIGHTS are man on man, fair fights. But this was premeditated and cowardly.

Re: Legal?

A legal check to the temple of an opposing player that's not looking. OK

That's legal !

Even sadder commentary for the hypocracy of this witch hunt if you can blindside a man in the temple and it be considered legal.
You really need to look at the video of Moore's check on Nazlund. Nazlund had the puck, dude. If you got the puck you might wanna keep an eye on players coming straight at you. Moore made a legal check, playing the man with the puck. Nobody told Nazlund to skate blindly with his head down. The league looked at it and ruled it legal. Nazlund admitted he shoulda had his damn head up. Moore did nothing wrong.

Understood

You really need to look at the video of Moore's check on Nazlund. Nazlund had the puck, dude. If you got the puck you might wanna keep an eye on players coming straight at you. Moore made a legal check, playing the man with the puck. Nobody told Nazlund to skate blindly with his head down. The league looked at it and ruled it legal. Nazlund admitted he shoulda had his damn head up. Moore did nothing wrong.

You make a valid arguement Robber and I tend to agree with your assessment of Nazlund.

My point is still the same though man. The NHL markets this type of violence. It is hypocracy to crucify Bertuzzi for something that wasn't glarringly out of bounds.

In response to Moore's "legal" check. The NBA calls that a flagrant foul and folks have gotten suspended for it. Not the NHL though! In the NHL, it's a "legal" check.

Hypocracy !

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Re: Re: Hypocritical

GR, do yo not believe this to be a dog and pony show of hypocracy by the NHL? Was what he did so much more serious than any of the other 4,000 hockey fights the league markets every year by not supsending the culprits or ESPN glorifies every night by showing the highlights?
In the usual hockey fight, the players "man up" and come at the guy they wanna fight from the front. You challenge, and then drop your gloves. You're a punk for sucker punching a guy from behind. And then to drive his head into the ice is pathetic and criminal, if you ask me.

Bertuzzi was all over Marty McSorley's ass when McSorley hit Donald Brashears in the head with his stick, KO'ing Brashears immediately. ESPN kept showing Bertuzzi talk about how classless McSorley was and how the league really need to punish him. And now his azz is punching folk from behind and breaking necks.

Re: Understood

You make a valid arguement Robber and I tend to agree with your assessment of Nazlund.

My point is still the same though man. The NHL markets this type of violence. It is hypocracy to crucify Bertuzzi for something that wasn't glarringly out of bounds.

In response to Moore's "legal" check. The NBA calls that a flagrant foul and folks have gotten suspended for it. Not the NHL though! In the NHL, it's a "legal" check.

Hypocracy !
Hockey is football on ice skates. Making body checks are well within the rules and expected. It's illegal to check a man from behind, though. And it's especially bad to check a man from behind against a wall. Check's from behind are one of hockey's version of "flagrant fouls".

Comparisons

Hockey is football on ice skates. Making body checks are well within the rules and expected. It's illegal to check a man from behind, though. And it's especially bad to check a man from behind against a wall. Check's from behind are one of hockey's version of "flagrant fouls".

Just like the analogy of the NBA's Flagrant fouls, the NFL has unecessary roughness for bashing or elbowing or kicking or sticking a player in the head that is not in a position to defend himself (see all the penalties on DB's for doing this or roughing quarterbacks penalties or illegal head slap penalties).

My point is that all other sports govern excessive violence and fighting much more stricter than hockey. Imagine the fines and suspensions if Ray Lewis took off his helmet and squared-up to fight Terrell Owens. Those guys would still be sitting out today. But the NHL doesn't even eject fighters from the game permanently. Hell, the refs are instructed NOT to break-up fights by rule unless someone get's thier as_ knocked down. This is glorifying thugishness.

My point is not to commend or applaud Bertuzzi for what he did, my arguement is "JUST SHUT-UP" to all the hypocrites in the NHL that are so appauled that this happened. O.K., he sucker punched the guy. Now, do you think this is the 1st time someone has ever been sucker punched in a hockey game? Hell, do you think it's the 1st time this month someones given a cheap shot? That's Naive to Believe man. The severity of the blow is what's bringing this heat. If Bertuzzi was weaker and his blow wasn't so devastating, we wouldn't even be discussing it at all sucker punch or not. But because he knocked the guy out with the blow, now its a national issue.

Answer me this Robber....and be honest.

If Moore had turned around and squared-up, would there be an outrage? Would there be a talk of supsensions or cheap shots? Would this be even something that anyone would notice the next morning?

Honestly now Robber....... I think not.

Re: Comparisons

Answer me this Robber....and be honest.

If Moore had turned around and squared-up, would there be an outrage? Would there be a talk of supsensions or cheap shots? Would this be even something that anyone would notice the next morning?

Honestly now Robber....... I think not.
Naw, there wouldn't be an outrage. I don't think the outrage would be so bad if the guy hadn't broken his neck. Hockey does promote and allow fighting. But the way Bertuzzi acted, it violated the "unwritten rule". Other sports are much better at policing fighting.

Sneak attacking anyone in any situation is a cheap shot. If I come behind you and crack your skull, it's a cheap shot. But if I walk up to you and tell you I'ma crack your skull, it ain't a cheap shot if I do it. It's a fight I started and it's wrong. But it ain't cheap.

Re: Re: Comparisons

Naw, there wouldn't be an outrage. I don't think the outrage would be so bad if the guy hadn't broken his neck.

That's all I'm saying man. The way these guys are getting on T.V. talkin' just makes me sick man. O.K., come to Moore's defense. Call Bertuzzi out. But don't sit-up there all pompus with your nose in the air like the guy didn't do something that many many players have done every year. The punishment doesn't fit the crime man. Punish the guy for what he did, not for the severity of the outcome. If Bertuzzi doesn't knock Moore out with that punch does that make it less of a cheap shot. Well according to your arguement a cheap shot is a cheap shot just the same. If Moore had turned around and squared-up top fight, it would be just another hockey fight right? No fines, No suspensions.

Hypocrites !

That was a cheap shot and dude should be suspended for the remainder of this season and all of next season.

Originally posted by cat daddy
That was a cheap shot and dude should be suspended for the remainder of this season and all of next season.
True about the rest of the season. But what about the playoffs? Bertuzzi could miss the first round or the entire playoffs. Either way the Canucks chances of making the finals are slim with him gone.

As for next season, not sure if there will be a next season.

Originally posted by CSU*NJ
True about the rest of the season. But what about the playoffs? Bertuzzi could miss the first round or the entire playoffs. Either way the Canucks chances of making the finals are slim with him gone.

As for next season, not sure if there will be a next season.

Oh I think he should not be allowed to play during the playoffs either.

This was a very BOGUS act. There was no excuse for it. He could have gotten a CLEAN good square hit on him with in the context of the game if he wanted to. They get presented with plenty of oppurtunities. Hockey is not that bad of a sport if you know the rules. Its kinda fun. Don't ask me how I know.

Back