I'm calling out Rambling and it's punk arse Coach Melvin Spears!!!!

The game should have been postponed. The fact that every hotel, apartment, available room that is within a 10 hour drive from N.O. is being taken by the people displaced is reason enough alone. There is no way a coach should want to occupy a hotel room in a time like this. The same goes for buses, planes, helicopters, etc.

The federal government siezed the chartered plane that UAPB was to use to get back to Pine Bluff this past weekend. They had to take a bus home from Chicago. If this disaster is affected logistics as far north as Chicago, you know its happening in places near NO.

I think it was selfish on Spears part.

Get Ready said:
Spears has a point, but the forfeit thing is taking it a bit too far.
And this stuff about the season being over after the classic is bull too. You can play that game after the classic.

Exactly!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Da_Sperm said:
The game should have been postponed. The fact that every hotel, apartment, available room that is within a 10 hour drive from N.O. is being taken by the people displaced is reason enough alone. There is no way a coach should want to occupy a hotel room in a time like this. The same goes for buses, planes, helicopters, etc.

The federal government siezed the chartered plane that UAPB was to use to get back to Pine Bluff this past weekend. They had to take a bus home from Chicago. If this disaster is affected logistics as far north as Chicago, you know its happening in places near NO.

I think it was selfish on Spears part.

Sperm,

Keep in mind that the game was schedule to be played in Alcorn. We were prepared to leave Grambling early that morning and return after the game, so the hotel issue is a moot point (for us that is).

My problem is the folks at Alcorn want to say that it just wouldn't be right to play this game, but yet took the time to examine all of the options that were availiable. Grambling was willing to play the game at Grambling and still give Alcorn the gate...Alcorn said no. Then it was said that game would be played on Sunday at Alcorn, but Alcorn changed its mind. We were willing to do all of the above. Then Alcorn says finally says they are not going to do it because it wasn't the right thing to do at all...so why take the time to even discuss it if this is all about Katrina?

And you know what the biggest problem is?

VOWELS

This is the second biggest damn COWARD in the SWAC. A lot of problems could be solved if he would just stand up and make a damn bold meaningful statement. The leadership in the SWAC is soooo poor. What a wonderful world it would be if there was just some leadership at the top of the SWAC.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
SHAME on Melvin. SHAME , SHAME , SHAME :smh: :smh:
The game, originally scheduled for last Saturday, was called off by ASU officials ? despite negotiations to move kickoff to another day or even back to Grambling.

"Our commissioner offered to pay their way to play here. We offered the gate, and they still didn't show up," said Spears.

A new date has been tentatively set for the Saturday between the Bayou Classic and the conference championship game.

"We're not playing after the season is over with," said Spears. "They refused to play, so we are not going to play. We will file for forfeit. Postponement is when neither team can play. We could."

Alcorn State coach Johnny Thomas was just as adamant that his team was right to stay home in the wake of Hurricane Katrina's destructive aftermath.

Even late last week, many players ? and Thomas himself ? still hadn't been able to reach relatives in the storm's path, he said.

"It doesn't matter if we make it up or not," Thomas said. "Certainly, I would love to play Grambling and that's something that the SWAC office and our presidents and ADs will have to decide. Whatever they decide is fine with me. Family members' lives are more important than a damn football game."

Spears was unswayed.

"We have just as many kids from New Orleans on our team as they do. As a matter of fact, we've got more," he said. "We've got to play these games.

"Don't make any excuses about coming over here."

Mike said:
I understand both sides, but I think you guys are leaving out some things that could have made a difference in the game being played in either city.

That being getting there.

No one knew whether there was trees or electrical line down on the way to and from either campus. Mainly in Mississippi, Would you risk putting student athletes in a situation where they possibly could've been strained or harmed for a football game? What would you tell the parents of those players if a tree had fallen on their bus going to a game that could've been played at a later date? How do you explain that you were bussing some kids to a game through storm damaged areas and something happened to them?

I think Spears should drop it and work with the SWAC Office to figure out how this can be resolved. It's not like we are at the end of the season yet. We just got a week under our belt with 12 to 13 more to go. Who knows, neither school could be in contention at the end of the season and this wouldn't even matter if that comes to be fact. Just let it go......

:smh:
What will be A&M's excuse?

Get Ready said:
And this stuff about the season being over after the classic is bull too. You can play that game after the classic.
We aren't going to play a game the week before the SWAC Championship game and risk injuries....

What? Who says you are going to the SCG?
This is a damn shame, this is why there is a commissioner. He is suppose to stand up and make policy in these situations. This guy has to be the worst leader in the world....well except Bush.

Antroy said:
That's exactly what I'm saying, Mike. They know that there are some small roads between Alcorn and Vicksburg. There's no telling what could have been laying on those roads. They are over here talking about provisions were made for us to play the game at Grambling.
Off top, you would have to find buses to get Alcorn to Grambling. Just about every bus company was trying to get people out of New Orleans.
Number 2, you would have to find gas to fuel the buses. There has been a gas crunch, in case you Rambling people haven't noticed.
Number 3, for us to go to Grambling, we would have had to cross the bridge in Vicksburg. At that time, there was no telling what kind of damage, if any, was done to that bridge. I would think that Alcorn was looking out for you all when they made this decision. I would have been scared as heyell to cross that dayum bridge.

And even if all of that fell into place, where would the football team stay? Somebody mentioned Arkansas. You must be out your rabbit arsed mind!! Why would I stay in Arkansas for a game that's going to be played in Louisiana? It doesn't matter because I can guarantee that you would have run into problems with two of those three points I mentioned above.

Antroy he is a little advice use this....www.mapquest.com

Get Ready said:
This is a damn shame, this is why there is a commissioner. He is suppose to stand up and make policy in these situations. This guy has to be the worst leader in the world....well except Bush.
WE will be there and you know it.... If SU wasn't made to play UAPB last year then I don't think we should have to bend over backwards twice just to play Alcorn.....

G-Man75 said:
What will be A&M's excuse?

We have fuel?
We have hotel rooms?

We don't want GSU to come up with an excuse not to play. We are ready to kick your butts. We have not forgotten about all these displaced Americans, and we are going to do our part and take care of them. Our doors have been opened, and when you done all you can do for now, we should move forward and continue providing support.

MightyDog said:
We have fuel?
We have hotel rooms?

We don't want GSU to come up with an excuse not to play. We are ready to kick your butts. We have not forgotten about all these displaced Americans, and we are going to do our part and take care of them. Our doors have been opened, and when you done all you can do for now, we should move forward and continue providing support.
I guess we will have to wait and play Washington State...... I'm sure they won't try to duck us..... If this was a suspect Grambling squad or last year these games wouldn't be in question....... Besides Katrina is a good crutch.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Spears said the conference office, as well as Grambling, offered to pay for Alcorn to come to Grambling on Saturday instead. Spears said Grambling even offered to give Alcorn State all of the money from the tickets sold.

Get Ready said:

No he's right, the season is over after the classic

Get Ready said:

Speaking of weak leaders, maybe Culberson and Bell can intervene on the conference behalf and make things right. It is not like their energies are being utilized to correct the deficiencies of what is called jsu football. If Bush is the worse leaders in the world, then Culberson and Bell should be his cabinet members. :lol:

G-Man75 said:
WE will be there and you know it.... If SU wasn't made to play UAPB last year then I don't think we should have to bend over backwards twice just to play Alcorn.....

There is an entire city HOMELESS and JOBLESS and about 10,000 DEAD all withing the past 10 days. Was having the game being played this past Saturday that important?

G-Man75 said:

The rules are different this year with having to play all the teams in the conferance. Since SU isn't involved in this mess he will show some "aguacote".

Well if the season is over after the Classic, yall can just stay yall ass at home when someone else from the West represents in the SCG. Thats what a REAL commissioner would say....but ours cant be found for comment right after a conference call. This fool is hiding under a table somewhere avoiding calls like Martin from A&M. He leaves the conference teams that both have valid points to battle over an issue that he could solve in a few minutes with one mandate.

Alcorn and Grambling, play after that classic and thats that.

damn i don't see why people blowing this up bigger than what it really is. it's gonna get solved sooner or later: biatching is not gonna change shat. Spears is just probably piiiiissssed because he gave offers and alcorn didn't accept, fustration makes you say things you really don't mean. Black people seem to love mess and blow things up and make them seem colossal, just hold on to your panties and see what happens.

Back