How can you be National Champ and you werent even conference champ? BCS BS.

J-State Tiger

Senate Candidate #7
Man they need to get rid of this damned BCS. How is Nebraska in the championship and Colorado dropped damn near 70 points on them.

That stuff is crazy.....just like the Heisman going to a QB that threw more interceptions than Td's......

There is no way Nebraska should be ahead of Oregon.
Oregon lost by 1 point to a then undefeated Fresno State and won the Pac10. They should be playing Miami.

Actually, Oregon lost by seven to Stanford. But they do have a beef.

I will readily say that the BCS is not perfect by a long shot. But it is a whole lot better than a bunch of sport's writers voting on a national champion.

My picks for the Heisman were Roy Williams, #1, and Rocky Calmus, #2, of Oklahoma. Understand that they were defensive players, safety and linebacker respectively.

I stand corrected, it was Colorado that lost to Fresno St by 1 point. But the BCS still a bunch of crap.

Don't cry about the system now!!! I did not hear you screaming about the system when Morehouse got screwed. You people need to be consistant in your complaining.

Tweak the system after Miami bombs Nebraska!!

Consider this. Rice finished 8-4, and Hawaii is 9-3. Those two schools will not be going bowling while North Texas at 5-6 is headed to the New Orleans bowl. I have a much bigger problem with the BCS there than I do with Nebraska playing in the Rose Bowl.

The BCS has nothing to do with hawaii and north texas. and I didnt scream about Morehouse cause I dont give a fugg about D2 ball.

Originally posted by EB
Actually, Oregon lost by seven to Stanford. But they do have a beef.

I will readily say that the BCS is not perfect by a long shot. But it is a whole lot better than a bunch of sport's writers voting on a national champion.

My picks for the Heisman were Roy Williams, #1, and Rocky Calmus, #2, of Oklahoma. Understand that they were defensive players, safety and linebacker respectively.

Couldn't agree with you more. "L", since they didn't play in the Big 12 game, they were considered no more than the 3rd best team in that conference.

Colorado lost two games too many. I'm sorry, but you just can't make that game with that many losses. Unless all the BCS teams had at least two defeats, then I would understand. Despite winning the title, Colorado was a no no.

If I'm in Eugene, Oregon, I am really pissed. Talk about overlooking the Ducks. They only lost one game by 7 points. Colorado is still scoring on Nebraska.

This is the "Season of Surprises". Everyone thought that Tennessee was going to murder LSU. NOT. Oklahoma and Nebraska in the Big 12 title game? NOT. Auburn and Florida in the SEC title game? NOT. BYU undeafeated? NOT(but who gives a dayum:D ) Where the "L" is Florida St? Guess who won the ACC? The magnificent MARYLAND TERPS? WintheF?:confused:

As wacky as this season has been, I pray Miami wins. This would just kill all of this...this...this...(can't even come up with a word):(
BUT, don't be surprised if Nebraska wins.

J-State Tiger,

Until there is a playoff system put in place, the current BCS formula will have to do. You care about Colorado and Oregon getting screwed, but kick Morehouse to the curb?? I'm sure Miami, Colorado, and Oregon could care less about D-IAA football.

Bottom line: I don't care what classification of football that you play. A piece of paper or a computer can screw you. Logic is lacking in all football divisions of the NCAA.

I maybe stand corrected on Hawaii and Rice. But certain bowls are slated to take the third, fourth, fifth and to the seventh place teams out of a conference. Rice was fourth in their conference, and it hurt them. Of course how many fans a school will bring matters. Hawaii did not win their conference, and some bowls worried how many fans they would bring. Note that there are no bowls in Hawaii. Anyway, so I am interested in seeing how many fans does a 5-6 North Texas team when they play a 6-5 Colorado State team in the New Orleans Bowl.

Hawaii shoots down BYU 72-45

Associated Press

HONOLULU -- Nick Rolovich did his best to prove that bowl organizers made a mistake by passing up Hawaii.

Rolovich threw eight touchdown passes and Chad Owens scored on kickoff and punt returns as Hawaii ended No. 9 BYU's bid for a perfect season with a 72-45 victory Saturday.

"We can't do anything personally about bowls, except put on the show we did," said Rolovich, who played his final game for Hawaii. "I think people want to see us in a bowl game, but what can we do?"

BYU coach Gary Crowton agreed.

"It's a travesty these guys aren't in a bowl game at 9-3 because they're a very good football team," Crowton said.

The Warriors ended BYU's winning streak at 14 with the highest point total ever against the Cougars (12-1), who will play Louisville in the Liberty Bowl.

Rolovich, 8-1 since taking over as the starter, was 29-of-52 for 543 yards. He has passed for 20 TDs and 1,548 yards in the last three games. During that stretch, Hawaii has scored 176 points.

Owens got the rout started with his returns.

In topping the NCAA mark for combined return yards, the freshman returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown and took a punt 74 yards for another.

Owens, who came into the game ranked fourth in the nation in kick returns, finished with 342 yards -- 249 on kickoffs and 93 on punt returns. The total bettered the mark of 284 set by Tutu Atwell of Minnesota in 1997.

"I didn't have to do too much because of the blocking," Owens said. "I just had to run. I guess you could say I was feeling it."

Warriors coach June Jones said the game was Hawaii's bowl game.

"To win this one in this stadium means a lot to these guys," Jones said. "They'll never forget it. I'm proud that the kids did what they did. They played their rear ends off."

Brigham Young, which entered the game averaging 537.1 yards in total offense and 46.9 points, played without Luke Staley, the star running back who broke his leg last week.

"Any time you lose one of your better players, it's tough," Crowton said. "We didn't have him and we didn't have Brandon Doman for half the game. But you know what, I don't want to make any excuses.

"I just want to give them a lot of credit, and we need to learn from it and move forward and get ready for our bowl game."

BYU also was hampered by turnovers, with four of them leading to Hawaii touchdowns.

The sellout crowd, which chanted "Overrated! Overrated!" to the Cougars throughout the game, had barely settled in when Owens took charge. He returned the opening kickoff 64 yards to the BYU 32 to set up Rolovich's 23-yard TD pass to Channon Harris.

After BYU failed to move on its first possession, Owens made it 14-0, returning Aaron Edmonds' punt 74 yards for a TD.

The Cougars made it 14-10 on Matt Payne's 44-yard field goal and Doman's 24-yard scoring pass to Spencer Nead, but Owens put the game out of reach with his 100-yard kickoff return.

Doman, who entered the game with 3,316 yards passing, finished with 226 yards on 17 completions and two TDs. He left the game with an injury to his ribs.

Staley's absence forced the Cougars to run more plays to receiver Reno Mahe, who finished with 14 catches for 181 yards and two TDs.

"They were the better team today," Mahe said. "We just beat ourselves."

Uhhh, It's like this....

First of all, If Tennesse {Buffalo Bills} had of handled their business like they should have, then it would not have been a discussion. The BCF does piss me off, I think Oregon should be playing insead of Nabisco..but do you think that after voting Eric "No chance in the NFL" Crouch for the highest honor in college football, that the powers that be won't allow him a chance to play for the championship as a Heisman Trophy Winner. I pray that Nabisco, uhhh, Nebraska will lose by at least 20 to Miami and this BCF will be exposed for what it is..Bull Chitt Football !!!

It's absolutely crazy that a team can give up 60 points in their last regular season game, not win their conference, not even make their conference championship, and then be picked to play for the national championship. :confused:

The BCS is a joke.

Let it go, man....

Originally posted by Media Guy
J-State Tiger,

Until there is a playoff system put in place, the current BCS formula will have to do. You care about Colorado and Oregon getting screwed, but kick Morehouse to the curb?? I'm sure Miami, Colorado, and Oregon could care less about D-IAA football.

Bottom line: I don't care what classification of football that you play. A piece of paper or a computer can screw you. Logic is lacking in all football divisions of the NCAA.

Media Guy:

You need to get off your high horse bruh, cuz in reality....YOU YOURSELF weren't crying UNTIL Morehouse got screwed!

The thing with the SIAC situation is that those rules were written down previously, so there was no cause for alarm because this year's fiasco wasn't even viewed as a likely occurence

But as far as the BCS garbage....you heard cries and complaints LAST YEAR when Miami was shafted for the sake of Florida State playing for the championship.

And....you heard complaints THE YEAR BEFORE THAT when Florida State beat V Tech, but sequencing to get that matchup was atrocious!

The dislikes have been voiced for several years now. If YOU weren't LISTENING, then that's on you, but your Morehouse complaints aren't even in the same ball park as the BCS situation.

True, there is lack of logic in all levels of NCAA football, but you can't legitimately compare the two situations....

Anti-BCS supporters have been pushing for some sort of playoff system for some time now. It will take consecutive screw ups like this for the NCAA to see that they need to drop the BCS altogether...

Just like they tweaked the system last year in order to change the rules regarding "margin of victory", they'll change it next year to incorporate something regarding "conference champion or co-champion" or those teams that didn't win their conference championship don't receive as many points or whatever. Because there will be someone in the same position next year.

As they mentioned on the Sports Reporters, even if they decide to do away with the BCS, it will be years before it happens because of all of the agreements that have been signed. And, the big boys are not about to get rid of their "money-maker". There are too many hands in the pot and too many people that stand to lose money.

Unfortunately, the BCS is "run" by the conferences. This year it's the ACC; previous years it was the SEC. There's nothing the NCAA can do about it unless schools from membership registers an official complaint with the National Office and they get it put on the agenda for discussion. But, it still has to go through the conferences. The only thing the NCAA does is certify the bowls and they've already put a moratorium on the number of bowls because there are dang many...

NO matter how you do it, there will probably be at least 3 or 4 schools that will have a good arguement on why they should be in the championship game. There is no way around that short of a playoff, but even in 4 team playoff, what about that 5th team that got left out but feels they should be included. Same problem. Who would be the 4 teams this year? Another big arguement. The NCAA basketball tournament takes 64 teams and every year their are still teams whining. Look at Moorehouse this year (and Media Guy whining). You can't avoid it. Until there are 3 undefeated teams, they all lost it on the field, and you can't just get hot at the end (like in basketball) and win it all, EVERY GAME COUNTS (wake up, Colorado). I don't think it is worth breaking up the bowl structure for. (I love bowl week)

Originally posted by J-State Tiger
Man they need to get rid of this damned BCS. How is Nebraska in the championship and Colorado dropped damn near 70 points on them.

IT IS NOT THE BCS, IT IS THE CONFERENCE, SOME CONFERENCES HAVE RULES ABOUT THIS (SEC ACC BIG EAST), IF YOU ARENT THE
CONFERENCE CHAMPS YOU CAN'T PLAY FOR THE TITLE.

JT and Lewis make some good points.

Sure, the big boys set up a system to crown the national champ. But it is more about the money than anything else. LSU's win over Tennessee get them about $10 million more dollars.

I do not think that the BCS is perfect. Oregon and Colorado may have more of a right to go to the Rose Bowl than Nebraska. After all both are conference champions. But what about Maryland and Illinois? Like Oregon they are one-loss teams that are conference champs.

When Tennessee beat Florida State in the Fiesta Bowl, Ohio State, a one loss team, lost to Michigan State late in the season. Should have Ohio State been in the Fiesta Bowl instead of FSU? They were a great one-loss team.

Lewis is right to talk about basketball. In basketball there are teams that are angry about being left out of the tournament. Some conferences get six teams into the tournament, and it causes an uproar. Some coaches do not think that a team that is under .500 in their conference has any business in the NCAA tournament.

Consider these. When Georgetown won the national title, Virginia, a final four team, entered the tournament at 17-11. Their getting in caused a lot of controversy; but it cooled when they got to the final four. About two or three years ago, Florida State got into the tournament when some said that they should not have. But they lost in the first round.

But as everyone is piling on the BCS, one must understand that college football has always been a mess in deciding a national champ. About four times Penn State has tied for the best record in the country and were not voted number one. About three of those times there were undefeated. Remember 1994?

In 1977 when Penn State finished 10-1, Alabama destroyed Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. I saw the destruction myself in person. Alabama was ranked number two, and I think that Penn State was number four. (Michigan was number three and lost to Warren Moon and Washington in the Rose Bowl.) But the Golden Domers of Notre Dame with Joe Montana defeated Heisman trophy winner Earl Campbell and Texas 38-10. The 'Horns went into the game at 11-0. The Irish were number five at the beginning of the day and were voted national champions the next day. Did number two move up after winning and number one lost? No. So while the Tide fans were saying "ROLL TIDE ROLL" in New Orleans, they were saying some very unkind words the day after the bowls.

In 1983 the state of Alabama was again denied. Nebraska and Texas finished the regular season at 11-0. The 'Huskers were ranked number one while the Horns were at number two. On a fluke play Georgia beat Texas in the Cotton Bowl. (Georgia won by getting a lot of fumbles during those years.) Miami, rated number four, played Nebraska in the Orange Bowl later that night. While Bo Jackson and Auburn, ranked number three, defeated Michigan in the Sugar, Miami at the same time beat the Huskers 31-30. Did number three move up after winning while numbers one and two lost? No, Miami was voted number one at the end of the season. Again some college football fans in Alabama were saying some unkind words about the polls.

Let's not forget 1993 when Notre Dame beat Florida State in South Bend 31-24. In a way the score was not that close. Then the Golden Domers lose to a very good Boston College team the next week. FSU begs the pollsters not to punish them after a late season loss. Note that late season losses usually cost teams a national title. But it did not this time. After being outcoached and out-played by Nebraska, FSU wins the Orange Bowl and was voted number one. Notre Dame, another one loss team, finishes number two. A bumper sticker read: NOTRE DAME 31, NATIONAL CHAMPIONS 24.

I am sorry for being long winded. And these are not the only examples. But I stated this to show that division 1-A college football has a messy way of deciding their national champion. Until there is a playoff, there will always be the arguments. Even after a playoff, there will be some more.

Great post EB!

I don't ever recall a bigger mess than this year though. I just can't get over a team which lost their last regular season game 60-35 is picked to play for a national championship. :confused:

btw, Tenn. has a gripe too. Even though they tanked the SEC championship, they should have gotten the BCS bid over Fla.

Tell it like it t-i-s EB !!

You're right about the UT gripe Mighty Hornet, but I can't get mad. I think the Citrus Bowl will be a better game. The money's gonna be there regardless(albeit 10 Mil less).

I'm also glad that BYU took an 'L' so they won't have a gripe. If they would play some-damn-body, they wouldn't be in the mess they were in.

I think that Colorado would've been the best fit to challenge Miami. Oregon just didn't impress me. They would get torn out of the proverbial frame.

So after these contracts with the BCS run their course, I'm sure the playoff folks will have more ammunition.

It can still get messy if somehow Nebraska beats Miami. They will automatically be the BCS champions, but someone else could be the AP champion since Oregon is ranked #2 and Nebraska is ranked #4, they are like that in the coaches poll too. If Oregon wins and Nebraska wins, there is no way that Nebraska jumps over Oregon to be #1 in that poll.

Playoff is only cure for BCS woes
By Mel Kiper Jr.

Following LSU's upset of Tennessee in the SEC championship game, the major flaws of the BCS have come front and center for the entire college football world to see.

Had there been the anticipated Tennessee-Miami matchup in the Rose Bowl, the BCS proponents would have been pounding their chests once again, emphatically telling us how the present formula is the ideal way to decide the national champion.

All along, their arguments had little if any merit. They have told us how college football is the only sport where the regular season is truly critical and every game matters.

Another argument against a playoff is that the format would be far too taxing on the players. But if I'm not mistaken, BYU and Fresno State played 13 regular-season games and several teams finished with 12 games.

Oh, really. Then how can Colorado dominate Nebraska 62-36 and win the Big 12, yet somehow lose out to the Huskers for a spot in the Rose Bowl?

The BCS supporters will argue that Colorado has two losses and Nebraska just one. My feeling, though, is that head-to-head competition, especially late in the year, should trump everything.

In addition, Colorado's win over Texas in the Big 12 championship should all but erase the Buffaloes' loss to Texas at Austin on Oct. 20. And way back in late August, their heartbreaking 24-22 loss to a talented Fresno State squad only occurred after the Buffaloes opted to throw the football (resulting in an interception) instead of kicking what could have been a game-winning field goal.

Sure, Nebraska has just one loss, but the Cornhuskers also played a much easier schedule than Colorado. Before their one-sided loss to Colorado in Boulder, the 'Huskers had gone on the road just three times, facing 4-7 Missouri, 3-8 Baylor, and 3-8 Kansas.

Colorado, on the other hand, played five regular-season games away from Folsom Field. Four of the teams had winning records, and the Buffaloes' victory over a vastly improved 4-7 Oklahoma State Cowboy squad came less than a month before OSU upset Oklahoma in Norman.

Another argument against a playoff is that the format would be far too taxing on the players. But if I'm not mistaken, BYU and Fresno State played 13 regular-season games and several teams finished with 12 games.

In the NFL, I have always believed that the teams playing their best football in mid-to-late November have the best chance to reach the Super Bowl. In Division I-A football, teams need to peak right away and maintain that consistency throughout the season, from beginning to end. With one slip-up, a team's chance for a national championship could be over.

Is this a fair or even a realistic expectation? Considering the demands of football, I don't think so. With injuries so critical in football, it would be great to see a team beset by physical problems over a three-to-four-game stretch still know it won't be eliminated from the championship equation if it remains competitive.

And what about a Cinderella story in college football like we've seen in college hoops with the likes of Villanova and N.C. State? In the present system, it probably won't happen. However, with an eight- or 16-team playoff, unsung teams would be afforded the opportunity to go toe to toe with college football's elite.

BCS supporters will say a playoff will put the remaining bowl games in serious jeopardy. How is that accurate? - Isn't everything right now centered solely around the Rose Bowl and who is playing for the national championship?

With a playoff system, additional bowl games that are part of the process would draw tremendous support. And the teams not involved in the playoff would still be striving to finish as high in the rankings as possible and gain momentum heading into the offseason.

While it may seem like I am constantly bashing the BCS, that's not really true. I have said all along that the BCS is the best-case scenario outside of a playoff system. But it does have serious flaws. And I'm not talking just about the BCS formula. The polls also have their share of problems, ones I have highlighted in articles throughout the year.

The foremost problem is the timing of when the polls are released. How can any coach or member of the media be expected to analyze and evaluate 25-35 games by Sunday afternoon? For a more accurate poll, it shouldn't be released until the Thursday or Friday before the start of another great weekend of college football.

Well, folks, I have concluded my tirade for the week. The one thing that makes me smile through all of the controversy is that the BCS has sparked an energized debate and created a tremendous amount of interest in college football. While I will keep screaming for a playoff, I will also try to remind myself that any system is subject to scrutiny.

Ntelekt,

You are still missing the friggin point. I guess Colorado and Oregon fans are whiners too. The BCS and the SIAC guidelines were in place before the season started. No one is disputing that. It's a shame that a team has to get screwed to find a flaw in the system. Nebraska and Tuskegee are benefitting by the current guidelines. Hopefully, the BCS will allow only conference champions to compete in the National Title game. The SIAC needs to rewrite their tiebreaker procedures. Championships should be decided on the field(head to head).

Media Guy,

This topic has nothing to do with DII Football but even if it did, I don't think that anyone on these boards feel that Morehouse should go to the PB. TU has the tougher schedule and regardless of what Fort Valley did, if that scenerio was NOT in the guidelines, then it was still a 3-way tie and TU wins.

ummm Time Out folks

I think its overkill to say that if you dont win your conference, you shouldn't play for the national championship. It's very possible that the 2 best teams could be in the same conference. Say, the big 10 (I hate that conference, but its easier to use them to make the point) If Illinois and Michigan play early in the season, Illinois wins the game. If Michigan goes 10-1 and Illinois doesn't lose any more big 10 games, but loses to Alabama State :D and another noncoference game, Illinois will still be big 10 champs and 10-1 Michigan is ineligible. :confused:
What if all the conference champions have at least 2 losses.

It's about the Money.......

Nebraska will play for the National Championship because they're a bigger draw than Colorado and Oregon. Nebraska has a bigger following, and the BCS folks know it. And ABC knows it too. They'll bring more fans and more prople will watch the game, because of Nebraska's reputation. And Nebraska's reputation is bigger that Miami's, and the networks and the other 'powers that be' will always want two well-known teams playing for the Title. And even though Nebraska gave up a bus-load of points to Colorado, they couldn't not chose Nebraska. They would've loved Florida, but when Tennessee beat them, that ruled them out. So Nebraska was the 'best' choice of the choices they had...

But I hate the BCS also. It's a joke. I just wish BYU had beaten Hawaii, so they'd have an argument about being the 'other' undefeated team.

But a playoff system is needed, and here's my idea about it. Right now, according to USA Today, there will be 34 Bowls this year.....TOO MANY DAYUM BOWLS!!!!!!!
Anyway, here's my playoff system. Tell me if this makes sense to you guys:

There are 12 Div-1 conferences. Take the 12 conference winners and rank them 1-12. Then rank the 2nd and 3rd place teams, and rank them against each other, and take the top 24. That makes 32 teams. Now you have a four-bracket system. Let the teams play a playoff, with each game being a Bowl Game. And let the division finals and Championship game be the 'BCS' bowls. That's a total of 31 games. So the National Champion would play in five games. Five Bowls. And the other 3(the ones left out) Bowls could be matchups between the top D-1AA schools and leftout D-1A schools.

You'd have your true champion based on a playoff system (no polls), and you'd still keep all your Bowls. And the money would be ridiculous. Just think....Let's say Miami wins the Championship in this scenario. They would've played in five Bowl Games. That's five payoffs. Not only would they make a killing, but the Big East would make a killing also..........

I think that's what needs to happen. It would have the same effect as the NCAA Basketball Tournament. You'd have a Final Four and everything.......

Taylor,
I would love to see a playoff but 5 games to win the championship is a lot.

I don't think there will be much changing though. There is absolutely too much money tied into the bowl system for it to be tinkered with that much. But some of these lowly bowls need to be canned. Who in their right mind wanna go to a bowl game in Boisie, Idaho? :(

Back