Early Reports, Nash MVP

He wins it this year ONLY because he won it last year. Think about it... they are basing it off the fact that he had better stats this season than last.

John Stockton is someplace pissed that he never got one.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
jag4life said:
He wins it this year ONLY because he won it last year. Think about it... they are basing it off the fact that he had better stats this season than last.

That is amazing that Stockton never received the MVP. Hard to believe.

AAMU Alum said:
That is amazing that Stockton never received the MVP. Hard to believe.

Stockton, just happened to be the co-star on the team, that's all. That's the history of the NBA.

He was to the Mailman, what Jamal Wilkes was to Rick Barry in Golden State, what Elvin "Big E" Hayes was to Wes Unseld, what Pippen was to Jordan, what McHale was to Bird, what KJ was to Barkley (when he got to Phoenix), what Worthy was to Magic, what Dumars was to Isiah, and what Kobe was to Shaq.

It might not be fair, but it's the way the NBA rolls.

NICE

jag4life said:

Interesting post. I tend to agree with your Nash assesment. He was the safe choice as well. He lost 3 good players and his stats went up. So there you have it. Now as far as Stockton is concerned, he played during the era of Bird, Magic, Jordan, Olajuwon, David Robinson, his team mate Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Isiah Thomas, Clyde Drexler and the list goes on. Kind of hard to win a MVP with them kind of Hall of Fame players playing at the same time. If Stockton was in his prime now with how watered down the league is.........he would probably win.

Maybe now some of you will realize how the NBA has fallen.... No way Nash wins a MVP back then with those players playing. Just like you said ........see Stockton. Even though I do think Nash deserves it this year. Lebron and Kobe were my top choices. Kobe must have been motivated by the reports that Nash will win. Because he played well last night. 29 point and 10 assists. Now those are numbers he should strive for all the time. I wonder will he pull an Olajuwon whenn Dave Robinson won the MVP and Olajuwon should have and he promptly dismantled big Dave in that series between the Rockets and Spurs. That was an arse kicking. LOL.

I know some of you will disagree with me, but I can't see why he shouldn't get the award. Of course, Kobe led the league in scoring, but look how many opportunities he has to score. Lebron had a hell of a year (triple-doubles & playoffs), but everybody in the Eastern Conference except Detroit, Miami, and NJ sucks. Nash deserved it last year, and his stats got better and they still won their division without 3 starters from last year's team (Q-Rich, Joe Johnson, and Amare).

D-NICE said:
Stockton, just happened to be the co-star on the team, that's all. That's the history of the NBA.

He was to the Mailman, what Jamal Wilkes was to Rick Barry in Golden State, what Elvin "Big E" Hayes was to Wes Unseld, what Pippen was to Jordan, what McHale was to Bird, what KJ was to Barkley (when he got to Phoenix), what Worthy was to Magic, what Dumars was to Isiah, and what Kobe was to Shaq.

It might not be fair, but it's the way the NBA rolls.

NICE

Good Points Nice.

Nah man... Kobe and LeBron both have Jordan and Magic-like numbers respectively. You can't say what you said about those old guys putting up numbers and now say it is any different now.

I really believe that Super 8 should have been MVP this year. He helped a very subpar team make it to the playoffs and he's making the players around him better. He's even getting ole Phil to coach a little bit. Kobe got hosed this year.

jag4life said:
Nah man... Kobe and LeBron both have Jordan and Magic-like numbers respectively. You can't say what you said about those old guys putting up numbers and now say it is any different now.

But those cats played against arguably better teams and better competition. Them dudes had to earn it every night. I know you don't agree. But I just don't think the NBA is better than what it used to be. The players were more seasoned because they had been to college and were not projects coming out. Jordan and Magic were also winning championships as well. Not just barely making the playoffs. I mean do you really think the big men now are better than Olajuwon, Ewing, Robinson in their prime? Olajuwon would kill these boys now. Just aint the same. Its not because I am old school either. Because I think in the NFL their young stars are much better than the old heads were. That's a league that gets it. Compare the NFL draft and how deep it will be versus what the upcoming NBA draft is going to look like........SMH.

JR said:
But those cats played against arguably better teams and better competition.

Well how about not naming any MVPs? Nash had to play against the same dudes as Kobe and LeBron.

And Big men now are not better than those guys...but the PFs now are better. It is just cyclical. You names 3 big men who just happened to be playing at the same time.

I wasn't mad last year that Nash was the MVP......but this year the MVP should she Kobe!

35 per game....

jag4life said:
Well how about not naming any MVPs? Nash had to play against the same dudes as Kobe and LeBron.

And Big men now are not better than those guys...but the PFs now are better. It is just cyclical. You names 3 big men who just happened to be playing at the same time.

I will agree that the PFs have changed their game from the McHale's, Worthy's, Malone's and such to the Garnett's, Duncan's, Dirk's. They have more range and are probably more skilled than the old guys. But I still think the league is overall worse for talent and team play than before. Maybe this one year in school rule will help. I like Lebron and I think Kobe is a great player. Both of those guys could have played in that era and been great players. But some of these so called all-star players would have been second tier players back then. The league now seems to be more developmental than it used to be. Just my opinion.

Gotta go with King James for MVP this year..............taking nothing from Nash or the others.

This young cat has done more to lift his TEAM and TEAM-MATES to another level than ANY other player in the NBA this year.:nod:

He truly makes players around him better......................look at his team-mates stats.

Nearly all are in double figures is point's, rebounds, etc., with him running the offense.

This guy is Magic Johnson in Micheal Jordans body.:nod: :flamethro

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
staggalee83 said:
Gotta go with King James for MVP this year..............taking nothing from Nash or the others.

This young cat has done more to lift his TEAM and TEAM-MATES to another level than ANY other player in the NBA this year.:nod:

He truly makes players around him better......................look at his team-mates stats.

Nearly all are in double figures is point's, rebounds, etc., with him running the offense.

This guy is Magic Johnson in Micheal Jordans body.:nod: :flamethro

Lebron is definitely on his way to being the best player in the NBA. Once he learns how to play defense he will be the best player. Kobe is still the best overall player.....just selfish is his only problem. But LeBron is closing ground in a hurry. LeBron had my vote as well, followed by Kobe, then Nash, then Dirk. I have no problem with Nash winning though. He played his arse off this year.

LeBron is bigger than Jordan could have ever dreamed of. He has more of a Magic Johnson body in terms of height but he is damn near as strong as Malone.

jag4life said:
LeBron is bigger than Jordan could have ever dreamed of. He has more of a Magic Johnson body in terms of height but he is damn near as strong as Malone.

There were players back then stronger than MJ. MJ was quicker and could hang in the air longer than LeBron. Plus he played defense better. He came from NC knowing how to play defense. LeBron still has to learn how. I wouldn't compare Jordan and LeBron anyway. 2 different type of players. LeBron is an more athletic version of Magic. He isn't as flashy as of a passer as Magic was but he definitely has great passing skills. Also I think LeBron has to work on his post game. One thing about MJ and Magic and even Bird. They could back you down in the post and score close in. LeBron still needs to work on that to take advantage of the mismatches and to adjust when his outside shot is off. Don't get me wrong LeBron is a bad boy and he may end up being one of the greatest to ever play. I don't know if he is almost as strong as the Mailman was in his prime. Power Forwards back then were real men and not skinny like they are now.

NASTYNUPE said:
I really believe that Super 8 should have been MVP this year. He helped a very subpar team make it to the playoffs

If that's the criteria, then why not give the MVP to Ron Artest? I mean how bad was Sacremento before he got there? They were 12 games under .500, and left for dead, then he comes along, and all of a sudden they're holding teams to fewer points, they're scoring more, and they finished a game behind the Lakers for the 7th seed.

He doesn't come along, they're a lottery team. I'm not knocking Kobe, because he had a great year, but this wasn't his year, it's hard to give somebody an MVP award who's team is barely over .500 fighting for a playoff spot, especially when he's clearly not head, and shoulders better than everybody else.

NICE

jag4life said:
I think players are physically stronger now than in the past...just like in ALL othe r sports.

We will to agree to disagree. Alot of the NBA guys come to league under developed physically more than ever before. Especially since most leave school early. You have a select few who come to the league with NBA bodies. LeBron and D. Wade come to mind. You had a lot of muscle bound bodies back then because the game was more physical. The NBA rules have taken that out of the game to increase the scoring. I don't see a lot of Rick Mahorn's, Karl Malone's, Otis Thorpe's, Xavier McDaniel's, Dale and Antonio Davis's, Charles Oakley's. You had some enforcers back then. Even Tim Hardaway was cut and he was a PG. I really just don't see all these strong bodies out there. There are some, just not as many. Of course with the new rules they don't have to be. Football is a different animal. Those kids are in school for at least 3 years and hitting the weights. Plus the nature of the sport is very physical. No comparison. Baseball........well we will see now that these supplements are under fire. Of course they have the minor leagues where their players can get stronger and develop before we see them on the next level.

Kobe should have won it. He is the only Candidate that doesn't have and current or past All Star on his team and that also goes for every team in the playoff in the west and the top 4 in the east.

jag4life said:
PLUS Sacrament has Bibby AND Shareef Abdur Raheem

....even with Bibby, Abdur Raheem, and don't forget Stoiakovic (sp) Sacramento was 12 games under .500 not going anywhere. Don't confuse me, I'm not saying Artest is the MVP, but if one is going to base taking a subpar team to the playoffs, then you have to look at the job Artest did when arriving in Sacramento.

Truth be told, Bibby is overrated. The only reason he's relavent is because he had a great series against the Lakers, but other than that, what has he done?

NICE

I'm just saying...whose criteria is right or wrong? When people use the excuse about Nash not having Stoudamire, it is cool, but it is not relevant when it is used for Kobe or LeBron.

Back