Bruce Eugene and the NFL Combine

THAMES

A lot of folks on this board may not give Bruce Eugene much of a shot, but he just might fool some people. Honestly, what do you think are his chances?
-------------------------------------------

Eugene3.jpg

Bruce Eugene

GSU's 'Big Easy' working hard
Quarterback primed for NFL Combine
By Nick Deriso

GRAMBLING ? Grambling State quarterback Bruce "The Big Easy" Eugene understands what's at stake this week at the NFL Scouting Combine.

After all, since 2000 only 12 players have been selected on the first day of the draft who were not at this invite-only job interview.

The combine, as his coach has said, "is Bruce Eugene's Super Bowl."

"I'm looking at it like that," said Eugene, just back from receiving Sheridan Broadcasting's offensive player of the year award in Atlanta.
Eugene stayed away from postseason exhibitions to concentrate on preparing for the combine, which opens today in Indianapolis. At MakePlays in Phoenix, he went through a battery of drills daily that he'll see again this week.

More important for the gifted but pudgy talent is this: Eugene lost weight. A lot of it.

"Forty pounds, so far," Eugene said. "And I'm still losing." ...........

Link......
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060222/SPORTS/602220354/1006

"I'm happy to be invited. Now I get the chance to showcase my talent with the best of the best," Eugene said. "All the naysayers who think I can't play with the best, they will get a chance to see me throwing next to them. By the end of the day, I think I will change some opinions."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think that Eugene will surprise alot of scouts not only with his arm, but also with his Football Knowledge and that he is a very smart player. :tup:

wahines said:
I think that Eugene will surprise alot of scouts not only with his arm, but also with his Football Knowledge and that he is a very smart player. :tup:

COSIGN !!!!!

I think he will do well. His weight is down and i knwo he can throw the football. I just want him to get the same shot the give to eveybody else !!

I am confident he can and will impress !!!!!:jump: :jump: :jump:

wahines said:

I have to disagree! I've conducted several interviews with the kid and that is actually the one thing that I do question. I don't question his physical talent, I question his mental capacity!

i hope Bruce does well and helps his stock improve (Saints should draft him?local boy does great)...

I've always marveled at the athleticism of Bruce, even when it was later in the season and he put on the "extra padding." But in the league, strength and conditioning coaches will get him on the right path weight wise..so i'm not worried about that.

The combine folks will prod at his knee the most. Previous injuries are heavily scrutinized. But I feel those same folks will be surprised at his arm strength, the variety of throws he can make and his football IQ. They'll also look at how he did not consistenly take snaps from under center, something they worked with Byron Leftwich on when he got to Jacksonville.

His height and weight aren't prototypical by NFL standards (NOTE: If Bruce was 6-4, 260 he'd prolly be definte 1st round)...but he got the job done at *Rambli*.

I just talked to my boy who just finished interviewing Bruce Eugene this afternoon. Bruce told him he was almost 300 pounds during the Bayou Classic and that the stress of Katrina and mom's cooking contributed to his weight gain.

He also said Bruce is listed at 6 feet even, which will be the biggest knock against him, not his weight. He is at 260 and wants to get it down to 240.

Lastly, Bruce is scheduled to run the 40 on Sunday.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
team_pass_sample_61338.gif

History has dictated that multi-talented players such as Bruce Eugene could be very productive with the Steelers.

1979 said:
team_pass_sample_61338.gif

History has dictated that multi-talented players such as Bruce Eugene could be very productive with the Steelers.

But the Steelers aint in need of a young Qb.... hell they may more interested in Hatcher from Gram. If the Steelers go for a Qb it may be Michael Robinson from Penn State since he can play WR and with Randle El being a free agent, that might be the move for them. Bruce would be better served getting drafted by a team like the Raiders which he may be a good fit.

JR said:
But the Steelers aint in need of a young Qb.... hell they may more interested in Hatcher from Gram. If the Steelers go for a Qb it may be Michael Robinson from Penn State since he can play WR and with Randle El being a free agent, that might be the move for them. Bruce would be better served getting drafted by a team like the Raiders which he may be a good fit.

There is also Reggie McNeil who could fill this role for the Steelers. But if Bruce is out there or if he goes undrafted, I think he would be a great player for the Steelers. I don't follow the Raiders, I am a Steeler's fan. I look at Kordell, Hines, and Randle El, who are versatile players who can play other positions. Whether Bruce Eugene can fit this role, I don't know, but Bruce is a player who deserves a chance.

1979 said:
There is also Reggie McNeil who could fill this role for the Steelers. But if Bruce is out there or if he goes undrafted, I think he would be a great player for the Steelers. I don't follow the Raiders, I am a Steeler's fan. I look at Kordell, Hines, and Randle El, who are versatile players who can play other positions. Whether Bruce Eugene can fit this role, I don't know, but Bruce is a player who deserves a chance.

I am a life time Steelers fan and Bruce does not have the versatility or speed to play a role on the Steelers team. Bruce is a QB only. He runs a 5.3 in the 40. He is not a Kordell, Randle El, Hines Ward type, all who played Qb in college but had the athletic ability to play WR. I mean what other position would Bruce play that could benefit the Steelers or any team besides Qb? Also even at QB, with them having Big Ben at 23 years old and a veteran in Charlie Batch backing him up.. I doubt Bruce would ever see the field with Pittsburgh. That's why I said Michael Robinson of Penn State would be a better fit because he has played WR and Qb and can do both well. Nah I seriously doubt Bruce is a good fit for Pittsburgh. Now the Raiders could use Bruce. Their offense is better suited for him. With Collins being run out of town and the backups being inept, maybe Art Shell and the Raiders would draft Bruce. Even his hometown Saints would be a choice. Although it looks like Sean Payton will draft Leinert. Denny Green might take a look at Bruce. All depends what happens with Free Agency and if Bruce impresses at the combine and loses more weight. I wish him luck. He is a nice kid.

Reggie Mc Neal probably will not have to play WR in the NFL. He is a sleeper in my opinion. So is DJ Shockley of Ga. Should be interesting. Stranger things have happened in the draft. Remember there are alot of Qbs we are overlooking that will get drafted.........like Omar Jacobs of Bowling Green. That kid can flat out throw it too.

JR said:
I am a life time Steelers fan and Bruce does not have the versatility or speed to play a role on the Steelers team. Bruce is a QB only. He runs a 5.3 in the 40.
I don't think that 40 time is correct.

Eugene unoffically ran a 5.08 forty at the combine today. I was hoping that he would have ran faster. He looked in good shape and alot of fat looked to be gone.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
I don't think that 40 time is correct.

Even if he runs faster......Bruce probably with that knee would not be running around too much in the NFL. He would get killed. He is a passer and he is best suited standing behind a good offensive line and throwing the rock like Marino did. Now his quick feet and nimblenes will serve him well when he has to escape. But to try to make him into some type of multi-purpose player aint happening and it aint fair to him. Hopefully he gets a chance with a good team that has an OL.

Back