BOOM returns to Hollywood

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

I KNOW WHY GRAMBLING DECIDED NOT TO ATTEND. jsu IS NOT THE ONLY BAND THAT IS WELL LIKED AND HAS DONE A SIMILAR PERFORMANCE BEFORE. BUT I AM SURE YOU KNOW THAT. LET'S NOT TURN THIS INTO SOMETHING THAT IT IS NOT.

I didn't make the comment, so I'm not the one making an issue of something that is not an issue. I just that the 2 LA schools swear that everything in band revolves around them.

Originally posted by FunkyTone_98_2

I didn't make the comment, so I'm not the one making an issue of something that is not an issue. I just that the 2 LA schools swear that everything in band revolves around them.

What the fugg are u talking about bruh?? Don't throw SU in this. I gave ya'll props so if u don't start no shat their won't be no shat!!! And ya'll wonder why nobody wants to give ya'll props.

I'm not talking about you or just this topic. Just saying whnever our name comes up it seem like someone from 1 of the 2 schools replies with "well you know we did................"

But in this particular instance it was directed at this World Famed character. Not surprised. Back when they first mentioned that they might use a band on the show I remember saying to someone "if they do use a band and it' us, we know who gonna be the first school to say something." World Famed proved me right.

I'm not talking about you or just this topic. Just saying whnever our name comes up it seem like someone from 1 of the 2 schools replies with "well you know we did................"

But in this particular instance it was directed at this World Famed character. Not surprised. Back when they first mentioned that they might use a band on the show I remember saying to someone "if they do use a band and it' us, we know who gonna be the first school to say something." World Famed proved me right.

That's not in our character to thow something like that in another band's face (unless it's GSU). the most we (SU) would do is argue about a battle or something other than that we will show much love to any band that gets an opportunity. We always throw it in GSU's face because they think that they are God's gift to marching bands.

I COULD SWEAR I SAID....

FROM WHAT I HEAR JSU DID A GOOD JOB..... AGAIN CONGRATS TO JSU. I WISH SOMEONE WOULD SEND ME A COPY OF THE PERFORMANCE.

I COULD SWEAR I SAID....

Like I said to PsychoJag I wasn't talking about you or even this particular instance. I was commenting that I knew World Famed was gonna have something to say. I saw your comments, and I am trying to find out about a copy of the tape.

Originally posted by PsychoJag

That's not in our character to thow something like that in another band's face (unless it's GSU). the most we (SU) would do is argue about a battle or something other than that we will show much love to any band that gets an opportunity. We always throw it in GSU's face because they think that they are God's gift to marching bands.
Well....,what can I say? Those of us who knows better know better. Those of us who know what it takes to promote a music program knows better to talk degrading trash. We are all in the same boat trying to accomplish the same goals. So let me send out my congrads to JSU's Sonic Boom. Even though we are bitter enemies on the grid, we are all family. Break a leg.

Say bruh all i said was the truth that we were called first and to that statement that we think we are God's gifts to band just be real GSU has paved the way for HBCU Bands.

Originally posted by World Famed
Say bruh all i said was the truth that we were called first and to that statement that we think we are God's gifts to band just be real GSU has paved the way for HBCU Bands.

Well it really doesn't matter anymore who got what call first. The end results were the Boom being viewed again on national TV and by Hollywood stars.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:
We need to stop with all this tearing down (and this is not directed towards you World Famed-- this is just in general) of ourselves. Some (not all) of this negativity I see on all these (band) boards is not "friendly smack"--- it's everyone who wants to elevate themselves and step on the neck of your fellow bands. And that's just not right. Some of ya'll want praise and glory for things that happen years ago---- but ask yourself--- are you keeping the tradition of your band--- or--- was the tradition/legacy still going strong the years you put on that uniform. Is your band even taking it to another level? If so, GREAT!!!!! :tup: We will all know, so let someone else toot your dayum horn for you!
Even the Bible speaks of this: A man who exalts himself will be humbled, and the man who humbles himself will be exalted. Some of ya'll who are so quick to look for praise or wanting someone on the outside to acknowledge your band are the main ones getting knocked down.

Now, I love all my SWAC schools... even Southern! :D (just kidding.)
I want to see ALL of us get maxium exposure out there!! If Grambling gets a spot on national TV or if Southern is featured in some big magazine, I'm just as proud as if that was my own school (because #1, it's a HBCU and #2, it's in the SWAC, MY conference!)

The past is good to reflect and build upon, but I live in the present and look to the future. So come football season 2003, ya'll need to bring it and keep the ball rolling on what HBCU/SWAC bands are truly about!

Roi

SOME PEOPLE HAVE A HARD TIME GIVING PROPS TO ANOTHER BAND.

WE DID A WAY TO KEEP UP WITH HISTORY. MANY FACTS ARE BECOMING HIS -STORY.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE A HARD TIME GIVING PROPS TO ANOTHER BAND.

WE DID A WAY TO KEEP UP WITH HISTORY. MANY FACTS ARE BECOMING HIS -STORY.

I hear what you're saying, Machiavelli, but if they don't give you your props--- don't worry about it. If your band is really doing well, you'll get your recognition in "due season." You can't force people to see what you see or force them to appreciate and acknowledge what you want them to. Much of this stuff is opinionated anyway--- talk about who's the greatest. Facts come in when your band is being recogized for this or is being featured in that. That's when your credentials speak for you; you (speaking generally) don't have to keep throwing it in someone's face.

I can argue all day long that I think the Sonic Boom is the best band in the world, but that's only my opinion. And my opinion is no greater than the next person.
The problem I see is where people are putting down one another's bands and setting their band on a high horse. And then getting upset AND DISRESPECTFUL when someone doesn't see things as they do. When actually there's room for improvement in everyone's band.
Friendly smack is one thing, but just flat out ALWAYS putting down another school ALL the time is just a bunch of negative mess, in my opinion--- especially when we're all in the same conference.
This is just me, and ya'll don't have to like me, but I like to see unity and building up of one another. Not that ol' slave mentality of "field knee-grow" vs. "the house knee-grow."
Please, don't get me wrong!! Ain't nothing wrong with smack among bandsmen, but when there is heat on this board--- then that's when it's getting too ridiculous. And I'm not necessarily talking about this particular thread; I'm talking about a number of posts I've seen over a period of time from this site and other band-related boards.

Originally posted by CriTAUcal

Well it really doesn't matter anymore who got what call first. The end results were the Boom being viewed again on national TV and by Hollywood stars.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:
We need to stop with all this tearing down (and this is not directed towards you World Famed-- this is just in general) of ourselves. Some (not all) of this negativity I see on all these (band) boards is not "friendly smack"--- it's everyone who wants to elevate themselves and step on the neck of your fellow bands. And that's just not right. Some of ya'll want praise and glory for things that happen years ago---- but ask yourself--- are you keeping the tradition of your band--- or--- was the tradition/legacy still going strong the years you put on that uniform. Is your band even taking it to another level? If so, GREAT!!!!! :tup: We will all know, so let someone else toot your dayum horn for you!
Even the Bible speaks of this: A man who exalts himself will be humbled, and the man who humbles himself will be exalted. Some of ya'll who are so quick to look for praise or wanting someone on the outside to acknowledge your band are the main ones getting knocked down.

Now, I love all my SWAC schools... even Southern! :D (just kidding.)
I want to see ALL of us get maxium exposure out there!! If Grambling gets a spot on national TV or if Southern is featured in some big magazine, I'm just as proud as if that was my own school (because #1, it's a HBCU and #2, it's in the SWAC, MY conference!)

The past is good to reflect and build upon, but I live in the present and look to the future. So come football season 2003, ya'll need to bring it and keep the ball rolling on what HBCU/SWAC bands are truly about!

Roi
Amen I'm down with all that. Well said.

Back