Basketball Times

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
18976_256.jpg

Advocate file photo by MARK SALTZ
Rob Spivery was 129-136 as head basketball coach at Alabama State before being hired at Southern

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
Advocate sportswriter

The Rob Spivery Era starts with one of the biggest challenges the Southern men's basketball program has ever faced.
Second-ranked Texas.

On the Longhorns' home floor, the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

"It's a helluva way to open up a season," said Spivery, whose team did not have a preseason exhibition game. "What I'm interested in seeing is how our players will react to the level of competition as well as the environment, the atmosphere
Read the story

bluedog said:
The Rob Spivery Era starts with one of the biggest challenges the Southern men's basketball program has ever faced.
Second-ranked Texas.

On the Longhorns' home floor, the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

"It's a helluva way to open up a season," said Spivery,
damn, you su people have got Spivery cussing already.
:lol::lol:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MACBFAC said:
Dayum that's a first lol!!!! Spivery is known for his laidback demeanor

The pressure on the bluff will do that. :lol: It is not a place to be for the faint of heart. I wish him luck.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=472 border=0 xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=left>[font=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif]Claborn helps ASU, Jackson to first win
[/font]
Special to the Advertiser

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="100%">
<!-- SIDEBAR --><!-- BODY TEXT OF ARTICLE --><!--ARTICLE BODY TEXT-->[font=Arial, Helvetica, San Serif]LARAMIE, Wyo. -- A record-breaking performance by Alabama State forward Akeim Claborn helped head coach Lewis Jackson get his first career win as the Hornets outlasted Coppin State 68-67 in the Black Coaches Association Invitational at Arena-Auditorium on Tuesday.

Claborn, a senior forward, scored 22 points -- including the game-winning layup with 17 seconds remaining -- and grabbed a BCA Invitational-record 17 rebounds for the Hornets (1-2).

"I haven't played for the last couple of years, so I've been real hungry, working hard and wanting to take care of business," said Claborn, who missed most of the last two seasons with knee injuries but averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds during the tournament.

For Jackson, the win takes pressure off the team -- and him -- heading into a month-long road docket that begins Sunday at Alabama.

"It's good to get this over with," Jackson said. "With nine games away from home, you wonder when it's going to happen. But this was a game we were capable of winning."

The game was tight the entire way, with neither team leading by more than six points. But when the Eagles' Darryl Roberts scored with 32 seconds remaining, the Hornets trailed 67-66 and were out of timeouts.

[/font]​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

No. 2 Texas too much for Southern, 89-56

18981_256.jpg
<!--
<mdw if exist="email_addy">/stories/111605/sou_jags001.shtml
Special to The Advocate

-->AUSTIN, Texas -- New Southern University men's basketball coach Rob Spivery was realistic about his chances in his first game on the Jaguars bench. A trip to second-ranked Texas to open the season will have that effect on a coach.

As it turned out, Spivery's expectations were on the mark as his team struggled over the final 30 minutes of the game in an 89-56 loss in the opening round of the Guardians Classic.

Southern will play Sacramento State, a 52-49 loser to Samford, in the consolation of the Austin regional at 5:30 p.m. today. The game will be televised on ESPNU.

"I knew, and the coaches knew, what we were up against," Spivery said. "The players may not have known it, but it's tough coming in here in an environment like this against a team like this.
document.gif
Read the story

GRAMBLING ? The Grambling State Tigers officially opened the 2005-06 season with a 88-70 victory Tuesday over the Texas College Steers at Memorial Gym.

The Tigers were led by senior guard Brion Rush who started his final campaign with his first career triple-double as he posted 22 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists.

Soph. guard Andre' Ratliff had 18 by connecting on 6-of-10 3-pointers along with seven rebounds, four assists and two steals. Senior guard Donte' Gordon had a career high of 17 points on seven of eight field goals, six assists, five rebounds, three steals and one blocked shot.

Texas College was led by sophomore guard Mario Kersey who had 20 points by connecting on nine of 18 field goals along with five assists and one rebounds.

Plenty of new faces for LSU-Southern game

19012_256.jpg
<!--
<mdw if exist="email_addy">/stories/111805/sou_bask001.shtml
Advocate sportswriter

-->On another campus or with another player, today might just be the first day of a promising college basketball career.

For Tasmin Mitchell, though, it's not just any campus. And from all indications -- and certainly from the reputation he's developed along the way -- Mitchell is far from just another player.

LSU launches its 2004-05 season today when Southern University travels across town for a 7 p.m. showdown at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center.

New faces will be the theme for both teams. The Tigers' roster includes seven new players and two redshirt freshmen. The Jaguars also have seven new players and are led by first-year coach Rob Spivery.

And while all of the newcomers have incentive to get off on the right foot, nobody will be watched and scrutinized as closely as Mitchell.
document.gif
Read the story

FIVE SIGN WITH LADY LION HOOPS

By Blake Drehle/OF THE COMMERCIAL STAFF
Thursday, November 17, 2005 8:24 AM CST

First-year University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff head coach Danny Evans has confirmed a first in Lady Lions? basketball history: The signing of five recuirting targets for the 2006 season.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0 hspace="4"><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=cutline></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
A pair of Mott Community College (a junior college in Flint, Mich.) standouts highlight the signings.

Deloris Hughley, a 5-foot-7 shooting guard, and Candice Ward, a 5-8 point guard, were added. The Flint natives were integral parts for Mott, which finished 23-7 before eventually losing in the NCJAA Division II?s Sweet 16 national tournament last season.

Hughley was a second-team junior college All-American as a freshman, averaging 25.2 points per game, second most at the D-II level. She hit 78.9 percent of her free throws while averaging 4.3 rebounds per contest.

Ward proved effective at point guard her freshman season. She averaged 6.2 assists and 7.9 rebounds per game, while scoring 12.3 points a contest.

this game just hit me in the face. I didn't know It was today, and I planned on going to the race-track in Erwinville today, but I will not be going, and I don't wanna go to the game because of the traffic. Does anyone know how much are the tickets? :nod:

Riley-Smith, SU just trying to right ship

<!--
<mdw if exist="email_addy">/stories/111905/sou_joe001.shtml
Advocate sportswriter

-->
The feeling is coming back to DeForrest Riley-Smith.

Then again, here's the hard part. He wants everything to come back in a hurry and play with a similar ferocity and passion and ease. But then he realizes he has to let the game come to him.

Riley-Smith's plight echoes that of his new team, Southern University. The Jaguars are 0-3 under new coach Rob Spivery and have taken two double-digit poundings on the home floors of two power teams, 89-56 at No. 2 Texas on Tuesday and 84-56 at LSU on Friday.

Southern is trying to right itself after five straight losing seasons and a coaching carousel. And though the lumps they've taken so far have been understandable and pretty much predictable, that doesn't make them any easier.
document.gif
Read the story

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Hot shooting powers TSU
Brown, Walker on target as Tigers top Jarvis Christian
By W.H. STICKNEY JR.
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Being thrown from a horse's back is made even worse when it's impossible to climb right back on and give it another go.

The Texas Southern Tigers, after missing out on the SWAC tournament despite a six-game winning streak to close the 2004-05 season, got their first chance to soothe the wound Friday night, and made the most of it.

Courtenay Brown came off the bench to fire in 11 first-half points and senior Sean Walker scored a game-high 23 as TSU disposed of Jarvis Christian 100-66 at the H&PE Arena.

Brown, a junior college transfer and one of many newcomers, keyed a brilliant shooting display by the Tigers, who were 10-of-22 from 3-point range in handing the Bulldogs, an NAIA member, their first loss in four games.

Coach Ronnie Courtney was pleased with the win, and said what happened last year is in the past.

"To get out on this floor and work with some young men who are willing to work feels really good," he said. "The atmosphere this year is different, the attitude is different. The overall attitude of the coaches is different. The focus is different.

"So it's a different kind of feeling for me and I'm excited about the season. I'm ready to get it going."

TSU heads out for a five-game road trip that includes stops at Wichita State and Illinois.

The Tigers do so with some momentum.

A trey by Brown in the final minute of the first halt staked TSU to a 42-28 lead. With Walker and another JC transfer, forward Ike Count, firing in 3s in the first three minutes of the second half, the Tigers went on a 26-8 run to pull far in front.

Houston native Demarion Crite, the Bulldogs' leading scorer at 24 per game, was held to five points.

19029_256.jpg

Tigers roar past Southern </MCC HEAD>

<MCC SUBHEAD>Freshmen Mitchell, Thomas impressive in LSU's 84-56 win </MCC SUBHEAD>

<MCC BYLINE1>

By RANDY ROSETTA
</MCC BYLINE1><MCC EmailAddy>rrosetta@theadvocate.com

<MCC BYLINE2>Advocate sportswriter
If there was a perfect scenario that LSU coach John Brady could've drawn up before his team began its 2005-06 season on Friday, it might've gone something like this: Win the game easily but leave plenty of room for improvement and teaching.

Turned out that scenario was exactly what Brady and the Tigers conjured up against Southern University at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center. Sparked by the impressive debuts of Tasmin Mitchell and Tyrus Thomas and the predictable steady contributions from veterans Glen Davis and Darrel Mitchell, LSU breezed past the Jaguars 84-56.

http://2theadvocate.com/images/111905/19029_256.jpg

Southern's early road show rolls into College Station </MCC HEAD>
<MCC BYLINE1>
By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
</MCC BYLINE1><MCC EmailAddy>jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com <MCC BYLINE2>Advocate sportswriter </MCC BYLINE2>

<MCC STORY>Maybe there should be coffee instead of a sports drink in that cooler next to Southern's bench.

The 0-3 Jaguars, who will play their fourth game in six days when they play at 7 p.m. today at Texas A&M, may need a good jolt or two.

After all, first-year SU coach Rob Spivery bemoaned his team's sluggish play against LSU on Friday. The results -- getting outrebounded 55-23 in an 84-56 snoozer of a game -- spoke for themselves.

"I think (the busy schedule) had an effect on us (Friday night)," Spivery said. "We did not play with any energy, any life tonight and it might have been a result of the road trip we just got off (Thursday). "It's disappointing, very disappointing. We didn't seem to have the legs. We didn't seem to have the reaction we've been seeing in practice and in the first two ballgames."

Lewis rallies SU women past NW State in opener </MCC HEAD>
<MCC BYLINE1>
By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
</MCC BYLINE1><MCC EmailAddy><MCC BYLINE2>Advocate sportswriter </MCC BYLINE2>

<MCC STORY>Fredrieka Lewis hadn't played a college basketball game in 11 months. She'd missed the last week and a half of practice with an illness that led to three trips to the emergency room. Saturday morning's walkthrough was her first team function all week. And she didn't even enter the game until 12 minutes had gone by.

She's still worth the wait.

Southern turned to the 6-foot-4 sophomore center down the stretch and Lewis responded, scoring 10 of her 14 points in the final six minutes, to rally the Jaguars past Northwestern State, 67-56, on Saturday at Seymour Gym.

"To be honest, I didn't plan on playing her," Southern coach Sandy Pugh said. "I didn't know what her conditioning level was. I didn't know what she was going to be able to bring to the table. But I'm glad I made the decision to go ahead and put her in, because she definitely came up big for us." Southern (1-0) faced its biggest deficit, at seven points, when Lewis, with three fouls on her, went to work. The sophomore, who missed most of last year with an ankle injury, had the game's next nine points, going 3-for-4 from the field and 3-for-4 at the free-throw line to start a 14-0 run.

Harvard 69, Alabama State 56

CHICAGO -- Jessica Holsey and Laura Robinson scored 18 points each to lead the Crimson (1-1) over the Hornets (0-2) in the consolation game of the DePaul Invitational. ASU lost 81-59 to UNLV in Friday's semifinals.

EVANS EYES COMPETITIVE SEASON
Danny Evans is a competitor.And the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff first-year head coach wants to bring that mentality to the Lady Lions basketball program.

?This is my first head coaching job at the Division I level and I?m very excited,? said Evans, who is originally from Flint, Mich. ?We?re going to try to bring a winning attitude to this atmosphere.

?I?ve seen a lot of winning, and hopefully that will rub off on my team. We have worked really hard in getting them prepared for the basketball season.?

Evans, who replaced Angela Daniels, worked the last two seasons as an assistant coach at Southern University. He helped coach the Jaguars to a SWAC tournament championship in 2004.

Golden Lions return experience to 2006 season
Four returning starters would make any coach optimistic about the upcoming basketball seasonAdd three returning lettermen and the reaction University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff head coach Van Holt expresses is complete satisfaction.

And why not? The Golden Lions are determined to build on last season?s accomplishments.

?Experience should be one of our strong suites,? Holt said. ?Right now they?re playing extremely well as an unit, hopefully that won?t change during game time.?

South Florida rumbles past Alcorn

From special and wire reports

TAMPA, Fla. ? James Holmes scored 21 points and Solomon Jones 16 Friday night to lead South Florida over Alcorn State 69-52 in both teams' season opener.

Melvin Buckley had 13 points and McHugh Mattis had 11 for the Bulls, who are 16-2 all-time in season openers played at home.

South Florida led 31-20 at halftime. Clifton Douglass trimmed Alcorn State's deficit to 49-44 on a 3-pointer with 7:19 remaining in the game, but that was as close as the Braves got down the stretch.

Delvin Thompson led Alcorn with 18 points, and Douglass finished with 11.

Delta State 102, Miles 68

CLEVELAND ? Jeremy Richardson scored 27 points and Jasper Johnson 20 to carry the Statesmen (2-0) in the State Farm Classic. They play Lane tonight at 8.

It was Miles' season opener.

Southern's early road show rolls into College StationBy JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
</MCC BYLINE1><MCC EmailAddy>jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com

<MCC BYLINE2>Advocate sportswriter </MCC BYLINE2>

<MCC STORY>Maybe there should be coffee instead of a sports drink in that cooler next to Southern's bench.

The 0-3 Jaguars, who will play their fourth game in six days when they play at 7 p.m. today at Texas A&M, may need a good jolt or two.

After all, first-year SU coach Rob Spivery bemoaned his team's sluggish play against LSU on Friday. The results -- getting outrebounded 55-23 in an 84-56 snoozer of a game -- spoke for themselves.

"I think (the busy schedule) had an effect on us (Friday night)," Spivery said. "We did not play with any energy, any life tonight and it might have been a result of the road trip we just got off (Thursday). "It's disappointing, very disappointing. We didn't seem to have the legs. We didn't seem to have the reaction we've been seeing in practice and in the first two ballgames."

Texas A&M throttles Southern </MCC HEAD>
<MCC BYLINE1>
By JONATHAN WALL
</MCC BYLINE1><MCC EmailAddy><MCC BYLINE2>Special to The Advocate </MCC BYLINE2>

<MCC STORY>COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Southern University became part of Texas A&M history Sunday night, as the Jaguars found themselves on the losing end of the second largest home-opening defeat in Texas A&M history, 88-44.

"A&M is a very good, tough defensive team that gets after you all over the court," first-year Southern coach Rob Spivery said. "We couldn't get into any offensive sets all night because they literally took us out of them by forcing us to make mistakes and poor decisions."

Poor decisions by the Jaguars were the main reason the team couldn't get anything going in the first half, as the Aggies forced 14 Southern turnovers with a type of hard-nosed defense Spivery hadn't seen from Texas or LSU.

"This was by far the best defensive team I've seen so far this season," Spivery said. "Texas and LSU were good teams, don't get me wrong, but A&M plays a defensive style that we weren't accustomed to." The defensive style A&M played held Southern to a season-low 20 points in the first half. The only bright spot for Southern in the half came in the form of five points each from senior guards Chris Alexander and Alvin Mott.

Back