Are We Rooting For or Against Hampton and North Carolina A&T?

Hampton, North Carolina A &T, and TSU all made their decision based on their specific needs not to be in HBCU conference. From a competitive stand point how many HBCUs are consider in the top 25 in their respective sport and division level of play? In football the Celebration Bowl has been a financial success, but from a competitive stand point how many winners of the celebration bowl would have a realistic chance of winning against any of the top 25 teams in FCS football?

I'm a huge Trei Oliver guy & I've seen the highlights where NC Central dominated #25 New Hampshire who ended the season #13 & advanced to the 2nd round of the FCS playoffs( 2022). You've beaten a 2 conference loss Elon ranked #25. N C A&t beat several FBS schools & #8 Jacksonville State (ended the season at #6) . I just kept it in NC. Did the PWI'S give you your much desired pat on the head for beating them?

Last edited:
Same reason fans at Alabama don't have the same interest when they play schools they don't align with

But Tennessee state leadership has something stuck in their brains about what they want to be but how they didn't see it when the white enrollment they had during the merger plummeted- they don't want to be with you so go where your wanted

Kenn Rashad needs to be banned at least ninety days for this mess.
Look, gott dammit, all I care about is the forgiveness of Jarrett's sweet mother. I think she has forgiven me.

My school is in the Big Dance for the first time ever. And I'm dancing right now (doing the crip walk), trying to get my ass to Dayton to see my Tigers beat some Bobcat ass so we can face Zach Edey.

At this very moment, Kenn Rashad doesn't give two shits about Hampton or A&T or their feelings.

It gives "we is tired boss" vibes but considering the other posts on this thread, it's not shocking
Harriet Tubman had to deal with that crap. She pulled her gun on many slaves who wanted to turn around & go back to the Big House & the warmth of masters embrace. I can't & won't convice them if they want to go back . I'll still always cheer for them if they manage to win anything.

What's weird is people who need constant validation of others . Eddie Robinson , Ben Jobe, Frank Gaither , Fred Hobdy, Roger Cador, Pete Richardson & all of those worthless wins & Conference Championships as "bottom feeders". FAMU fan you're free to go get your validation from others & I'll cheer for you just like I do TSU, A&T or Hampton.

If you don't need validation from others, why participate in any NCAA sponsored championship? Those white folks are the "others" you reference right?

I'm a huge Trei Oliver guy & I've seen the highlights where NC Central dominated #25 New Hampshire who ended the season #13 & advanced to the 2nd round of the FCS playoffs( 2022). You've beaten a 2 conference loss Elon ranked #25. N C A&t beat several FBS schools & #8 Jacksonville State (ended the season at #6) . I just kept it in NC. Did the PWI'S give you your much desired pat on the head for beating them?
I am not looking for validation from PWIs, but I want to see HBCUs being the best in whatever division they are in. I was raised and grew up with people who played during segregation and had no problem pointing out in public, during their playing days, to the local media how the white schools were afraid to play them and the schools would challenge white schools to games on a regular (this happen in North Carolina). In the city I grew up in there is still a stigma around the high school that I went to because it is now majority black. The coach, who is a black man, let his players speak on the field by beating down schools and they have been imrpvoing every year that he has been the coach at the school. This year they made it deep into the division playoffs.

This year North Carolina Central lost to Richmond, which who lost to Morgan earlier in the year, in the playoffs and Coach Trei Oliver specifically played down being in the playoffs. It is one thing to down play it because of the financial aspect and the outside experience, but I would of thought Coach Oliver would want to prove a point by beating PWI schools in the playoffs to fight against the narrative of HBCUs not being able to do so on a regular top FCS\FBS schools whenever they play them. It would be similar to how Jack Johnson, in boxing, would mock his white opponents during his fights in order to prove a point that black boxers was equal or better than their fellow white boxers and should not be view as less than.

I never said that HBCUs could not beat PWIs, but I would like to see it happen on a regular basis season to season in order to become the normal. As you specifically stated HBCUs have a history of beating PWIs, FCS and FBS, but outside of FAMU, the team that won the playoffs, none could stake the claim to being the best in the division. My view point is based on being competitive across the board and if an HBCU school plays a PWI I want to see them win and if they don't at the very least not get a beat down.

As far as your statement about claiming that I want a pat on the head from PWIs, I am going to take the high road here and just say when does wanting to see HBCUs to be viewed as top tier teams in their divisions based on their play on the field by actually beating PWIs schools that are viewed as putting out successful teams year after year. I want to see a day when the black players on those PWIs, FCS and FBS, schools don't see playing HBCUs as a easy win and that the money games against the bigger schools is seen as easy money by the HBCUs ( getting paid to beat up on PWIs).

Man, the comments in this thread.🤣🤣🤣

Just in case anybody isn't clear about it, the reason to play in the 2024 NCAA Tournament is because each game/pay-unit is a 2 million dollar payday win or lose.
Does this money goes to the particular school in the tournament or is it split between the school and the conference?

Split..and it aint a great amount unless you have a good run in the tournament. It's always been funny to me though how folks pick and choose what they get mad at. The same folks that will say A&T and Hampton killed the MEAC will ignore the 2 other schools that left because of where they ended up. No one wants to just say it but that's what it is. What's always confused me is, if no one cares about playing white folks, why do so many hold that dream of moving up to FBS as a conference? Who you gonna play? lol.

Or does the CB then just change from an FCS bowl to an FBS bowl? Also, no one ever wants to talk about how horribly the MEAC was run and then act outraged when teams look elsewhere. Where else should they have gone... the SWAC? And stretched the conference from Virginia to Texas? The travel would've been even worse than the MEAC. Now, the thing that actually matters is athletically, and I do mean all sports, are they in a worse conference than they left? Then ya can't really be mad.

Any team in this country would fully accept getting beaten to sleep every other week if they could get into the SEC or the Big 10 vs the conference that they're in right now. They get more opportunities by default and you can now recruit on their level with the right staff.

Does this money goes to the particular school in the tournament or is it split between the school and the conference?
The NCAA sends the payments to the conferences. Conferences vary in their approach to distribution to member schools.

In the SWAC the tournament team gets a greater percentage than the other member schools of the conference. I don't recall the exact split, but I think it's a 40/60 tournament team to conference split if the the conference doesn't need it to pay bills. Fortunately, the SWAC has been in good enough shape the last several years to send the money untapped.

Last edited:

It gives "we is tired boss" vibes but considering the other posts on this thread, it's not shocking
I have a serious question for HU and NCAT - How long will it take for these schools to be relevant in Football, Men's Basketball and Women's basketball in this new conference. What are the expectations of the universities family?

Timetable is to be competitive in most sports within 5 years. Still good things happening in athletics now.

WBB finished tied for 3rd with an overall record of 20 - 11. They will host WNIT game on Friday.

MBB - Finished 6 of 13 in 2023. New coach and 14 new players finished 11 of 13 this season. They were actually in 3rd place before injuries took their toll. Future looks bright.

Football Finished 1-10. Imo, that was due to parting ways with Sam Washington and effects of NIL/Transfer portal.

Baseball - Currently 15 - 5 and second best record in the conference behind #21 Campbell. Ranked #1 amongst HBCU'S.

Mens Tennis - 10 - 1 / Women's Tennis 3 -2

Mens Indoor Track finished 2nd

Of, course none of this matters if we don't get football back on track. Unfortunately I think it will take all 5 years and perhaps beyond for that to happen.

** By the way, Hornets just hired a helluva offensive coordinator in Chris Barnette.
I have a serious question for HU and NCAT - How long will it take for these schools to be relevant in Football, Men's Basketball and Women's basketball in this new conference. What are the expectations of the universities family?

Man, the comments in this thread.🤣🤣🤣

Just in case anybody isn't clear about it, the reason to play in the 2024 NCAA Tournament is because each game/pay-unit is a 2 million dollar payday win or lose.

2 million / 12 schools is 167k per school on a 50 / 50 split.

So apparently 167K is enough money to stay within the NCAA and deal with all the disrespect

Last edited:
2 million / 12 schools is 167k per school on a 50 / 50 split.

So apparently 167K is enough money to stay within the NCAA and deal with all the disrespect
I'm not sure what your point is. You all left the MEAC not the NCAA right?

What disrespect are you talking about? I thought you all left the MEAC for the Big South based off of findings from a feasibility study?

Was disrespect from the Big South the reason for the sudden departure to the CAA? Is the conference tournament team/ conference split better in the 14 member CAA than it was in the 13 member MEAC, and even smaller member Big South you all departed from recently?

I can't nor do I speak for anyone else on this board, but I could care less about the reason NCAT or Hampton left the MEAC. I wish the two of you well. My point is and remains, as my earlier post infers, the reason to play in the tournament is to help the bottom line at our schools, regardless of conference affiliation.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your point is. You all left the MEAC not the NCAA right?

What disrespect are you talking about? I thought you all left the MEAC for the Big South based off of findings from a feasibility study?

Was disrespect from the Big South the reason for the sudden departure to the CAA? Is the conference tournament team/ conference split better in the 14 member CAA than it was in the 13 member MEAC, and even smaller member Big South you all departed from recently?

I can't nor do I speak for anyone else on this board, but I could care less about the reason NCAT or Hampton left the MEAC. I wish the two of you well. My point is and remains, as my earlier post infers, the reason to play in the tournament is to help the bottom line at our schools, regardless of conference affiliation.

My question was addressing the conversation about HBCU's and the NCAA. And how it was said on this thread that A&T and Hampton are searching for the approval of white people.

Was previously discussed how the NCAA treats and looks at HBCUs as inferior.

So my question was if the NCAA disrespects HBCUs so bad , if its just about getting white validation , when why not leave the NCAA.

Then you responded and said , 2 million is the reason to stay

Which is why i asked is 167k for your school enough to deal with the evil white NCAA that other on the thread are talking about

Because of underfunding, 167K helps a lot of our member school's bottom lines. Your focus should be on the cause and not the result.
Right, and the amount continues to grow each year and the distribution amount varies according to conference affiliation.

Using GSU as the latest example, the total amount earned is now guaranteed to double due to their win last night. I'm hoping for a miracle during their next game to see the total earnings triple.

Last edited:
Right, and the amount continues to grow each year and the distribution amount varies according to conference affiliation.

Using GSU as the latest example, the total amount earned is now guaranteed to double due to their win last night. I'm hoping for a miracle during their next game to see the total earnings triple.
Plus 1

My question was addressing the conversation about HBCU's and the NCAA. And how it was said on this thread that A&T and Hampton are searching for the approval of white people.

Was previously discussed how the NCAA treats and looks at HBCUs as inferior.

So my question was if the NCAA disrespects HBCUs so bad , if its just about getting white validation , when why not leave the NCAA.

Then you responded and said , 2 million is the reason to stay

Which is why i asked is 167k for your school enough to deal with the evil white NCAA that other on the thread are talking about
Not enough to make a serious difference for sTu but for some SWAC schools it is a nice bump.

Last edited:
Back