Are We Rooting For or Against Hampton and North Carolina A&T?

I have a serious question for HU and NCAT - How long will it take for these schools to be relevant in Football, Men's Basketball and Women's basketball in this new conference. What are the expectations of the universities family?

I have a serious question for HU and NCAT - How long will it take for these schools to be relevant in Football, Men's Basketball and Women's basketball in this new conference. What are the expectations of the universities family?
TSU has barely won 4 or 5 Conference Championships in those 3 sports combined in the past 40 years . They are staying the course despite that. From.what I've heard about Hampton especially , I don't think expectations matters as long as they are associated with certain non HBCU schools.

TSU has barely won 4 or 5 Conference Championships in those 3 sports combined in the past 40 years . They are staying the course despite that. From.what I've heard about Hampton especially , I don't think expectations matters as long as they are associated with certain non HBCU schools.
I can't even remember when TSU won the OVC in football or basketball. Definitely not since 2000. The OVC did not elevate TSU ... they are perennial losers in the OVC .... they are worse than Valley in the SWAC

Yup. To wish ill on them because they took a different path is some crab ninja shit.

I think the question is how does that path improve you. Same with some of these other teams.

Look at the Depaul in basketball.
No coach since 1997 has left with a winning record. 3 winning records in 19 years. 14 in 20 years before the move. The women have benefitted. They got their first losing record in Big East last year.

Tennessee State has done NOTHING since Lindsay Hunter left.

What good is moving if you are going to be the bottom feeder every year?

For all the many MANY flaws of the SWAC and MEAC-at least you know going in-you could win it all.

The only thing working in both school favors is many of the powerhouses in basketball have left. However Hampton has the smallest enrollment of all those schools but a higher endowment than UNC Willington (who the only remaining powerhouse in basketball.)

Not going to root against them but they both got a long road to go.

Yup. To wish ill on them because they took a different path is some crab ninja shit.
Blacks thinking that getting next to certain folks or their schools or their neighborhoods is an inherently better path is some real deep seated "ninja" stuff too. But I understand centuries of conditioning. I wish the very best to all HBCU'S. Most here seem indifferent & stated a few facts.

I think the question is how does that path improve you. Same with some of these other teams.

Look at the Depaul in basketball.
No coach since 1997 has left with a winning record. 3 winning records in 19 years. 14 in 20 years before the move. The women have benefitted. They got their first losing record in Big East last year.

Tennessee State has done NOTHING since Lindsay Hunter left.

What good is moving if you are going to be the bottom feeder every year?

For all the many MANY flaws of the SWAC and MEAC-at least you know going in-you could win it all.

The only thing working in both school favors is many of the powerhouses in basketball have left. However Hampton has the smallest enrollment of all those schools but a higher endowment than UNC Willington (who the only remaining powerhouse in basketball.)

Not going to root against them but they both got a long road to go.
Almost every HBCU athletic team is a bottom feeder in almost every sport. Don't let us beating each other and crowning a champ fool you. Y'all hate them because they don't want to stay bottom feeders the way we doing it. That's weird.

Almost every HBCU athletic team is a bottom feeder in almost every sport. Don't let us beating each other and crowning a champ fool you. Y'all hate them because they don't want to stay bottom feeders the way we doing it. That's weird.

What's weird is people who need constant validation of others . Eddie Robinson , Ben Jobe, Frank Gaither , Fred Hobdy, Roger Cador, Pete Richardson & all of those worthless wins & Conference Championships as "bottom feeders". FAMU fan you're free to go get your validation from others & I'll cheer for you just like I do TSU, A&T or Hampton.

Last edited:

Again, you're talking about conference championships. Our conferences are literally ranked at the bottom in every sport. The college athletics landscape has changed a lot in the last 20 years. There's a difference between needing validation from others and trying to maximize your potential. You really think what we've been doing for the last 40 years is a success story? We're getting left behind. So yeah I'm not gonna shit on the next school for trying something different. Good luck to all of them that have gone a different path. I really do hope it works out for someone and maybe creates a potential path and blueprint for the rest of us.

Again, you're talking about conference championships. Our conferences are literally ranked at the bottom in every sport. The college athletics landscape has changed a lot in the last 20 years. There's a difference between needing validation from others and trying to maximize your potential. You really think what we've been doing for the last 40 years is a success story? We're getting left behind. So yeah I'm not gonna shit on the next school for trying something different. Good luck to all of them that have gone a different path. I really do hope it works out for someone and maybe creates a potential path and blueprint for the rest of us.
It's unfortunate that you feel that the accomplishments of someone like Roger Cador are near worthless because he didn't do it in the OVC/ CAA . Keep that centuries old " blueprint" to get validation. What's the point of all of this( HBCU's) otherwise?

With all due respect, but this is a very weird post.
Forget HiU, TnSU, and A&T for a moment. How would you rate HBCU athletics against other D1 conferences? Lets say you've compiled that rating every year for the last 30 or 40 years. Would that rating be trending upward or downward? Do you think the SWAC as a whole is closing the gap in quality of play in our major sports vs other D1 conferences?

On a football specific note, do you think beating a MEAC team in a bowl game is a major accomplishment?

Hampton, North Carolina A &T, and TSU all made their decision based on their specific needs not to be in HBCU conference. From a competitive stand point how many HBCUs are consider in the top 25 in their respective sport and division level of play? In football the Celebration Bowl has been a financial success, but from a competitive stand point how many winners of the celebration bowl would have a realistic chance of winning against any of the top 25 teams in FCS football?

Back