AAMU -vs- Oakland in play in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jax1906 said:
2 Things:

2. To HE!! with this so called play in game. Everyone knows that was instituted to keep the HBCU's from upsetting the "Power Schools."(Remember Coppin State??) We need to come together and ban this play in game once and for all.

That play-in game was not designed to keep HBCUs down. Ronhamp said it best its all about Tourney Invites for the big schools. The more schools that you have and the deeper they go, the more cash the conference gets. The reason why we have been to the Play-in game 3 out of 4 years is due to scheduling. All of our schools are not putting themselves in good positions to win. Think of how UAPB was pimping themselves a couple of years ago. I know that we need the money games, but we can not continue to make every (over exaggerated) non-conference game a money game. We need to do a better job scheduling so that we can win games and improve the overal RPI of the SWAC. Thats how you insure that we are not in the Play-in game.

wbishop3 said:
That play-in game was not designed to keep HBCUs down. Ronhamp said it best its all about Tourney Invites for the big schools. The more schools that you have and the deeper they go, the more cash the conference gets. The reason why we have been to the Play-in game 3 out of 4 years is due to scheduling. All of our schools are not putting themselves in good positions to win. Think of how UAPB was pimping themselves a couple of years ago. I know that we need the money games, but we can not continue to make every (over exaggerated) non-conference game a money game. We need to do a better job scheduling so that we can win games and improve the overal RPI of the SWAC. Thats how you insure that we are not in the Play-in game.

You made some valid points, but IMHO I can't help but to be a little cynical about the whole thing. You maybe right about why the play in game was instituted, but think about the timing of it. Remember when Coppin State upset #2(then) South Carolina ? They upset one or 2 more teams as well iin that same year. I think that was in Spr 95 , 96 or could have been 97. Either way, shortly after that, the play in game was instituted and who had to play in those games the majority of the time? Either a SWAC or a MEAC school.

:shame: on the ncaa!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Lets not forget about Hampton a couple of years ago.

We need to get rid of this goofy play-in game.

I actually don't mind the play in game. What it does show is the influence that major colleges have over the whole system. I don't believe that any of them are worried about any small school HBCU or PWC upsetting them. They want more of their teams in, its about money. Just like the BCS is trying to squeeze out the mid-major conferences from the big pay day.

As far as the play in game, when we as a conference decide that we have had enough of playing in it and actually put effort behind our hoops then we won't have to deal with it. But it is going to take all ten of us to do it. We can no longer afford playing Div II, III, and NAIA schools, that brings the RPI down. Just like we can't afford 5,6,7 money games. Back when I worked at A&M, when we first moved over, Pettaway did that but he quickly realized the effect that it has on the team. It demoralizes them. Thats why he only does around 4 true money games now, even those are calulated (i.e. Texas A&M and Georgia this year).

I believe that we should start having inter-conf games with the meac. How about a SWAC-MEAC Challenge likd the ACC-Big 10 over christmas or Thanksgiving.

If you think that it was created to keep us down then prove them wrong and prove that we deserve to be in that 63. No more Jarvis Chritians, Tougaloo, and the likes.

Robber said:
Don't let the record fool ya. They played some good MAJOR conference teams close.

none of us are fooled... we know their conference is probably tougher than teh SWAC..... and I heard they have legit big men.... we MUST force turnovers... if we get into a half court/slow game we will be in trouble. Also the team with the losing record has always won the play in game :(

Ronhamp said:
But when you see a player such as O.B. Trotter (Mentally tough, smart, and talented) and Joe Martin (Undersized but not Under-Talented), it's make me proud to be a SWAC Alumnus.

I'M ROOTING FOR U - DAWGS!!!!! Play your game and see what happens.

(co-sign)X:________________

THAT is what makes me proud to be a SWAC alum! When players such as these come through this conference, it really makes me proud! AAMU DESERVED to be the SWAC champ w/ the talent coupled w/ coaching <b>this year</b>. :tup:

Good luck Dawgs! I'll be glued to ESPN 2night.

From what I have been told they are strongest where we are weakest (post) but their guards are not very good, advantage bulldogs. should be a good game.

we are gonna have to get Marshall & Scott in foul trouble!

2162.jpg

2155.jpg

Yes they are bigger but they are not nearly as quick based on what I saw Sunday. Keep the pressure D on them, force the turnovers and convert them. Crash the boards on both ends...

A&M is getting major pub up in these parts. Most folks don't know ANYTHING about AAMU - not even where it is - even though all the papers have run a fact box. I had to pull over last nite on my way home to call in to a local sports talk show just so they could stop the kekeeing about "Where is Normal, AL? They are taking the Pups much too lightly I think...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
pbla said:
It's gonna be Obie Trotter and Marshall battling out in points.
AAMU yall better put some tight D on Marshall. He is truly cold. UMKC saw him 3 times this year and he torched them all three times. But yall should beat them because he is about all they have.

History!!

The so called first round "play-in" game was instituted because of the then 16 member WAC split into two conferences of the WAC and Montain West Conference in 1999. At the time there were questions on how long the Mountain West would have to serve a probation period (think it end up being just one year basically the transition year), unlike the current mandate of like six years on the book. The big time program of Utah helped in that regard.

The NCAA Division I Basketball Committee decided they would provide the additional automatic bid and bring it to 32 automatics conference bids issued, which still under the NCAA rules that states that no more than half the field can be given automatic bids to any NCAA tournament was a go. But, it did not want to reduce the number of at-large bids 33 it had current been awarded for the tournament. So, here comes the field of 65 and the first round "play-in" game which would affect the lower RPI ranked institutions and conferences.

DAHILL said:
MH dont pay Mr. SWAC no attention lol... sometimes he let pride overshadow reality... our guards are SWAC good.... but hell they couldnt outplay Tenn States .... they shut all of our guards down....UNC's walk ons would be stars on our team.

Once again, CJ you show blatent disloyalty to your school. Unlike most people on here who happen to have a little thing called school pride, you act as if you are hatin on your own team, like you didn't even go to A & M. You do it in the band room, you do it on ********, Hell you even do it on the fifth. At least if ASU folks know that they are lacking in some area, you fa sho' won't hear it out of their mouths. Southern and Gram folks, too.

Respect the fact that these men worked hard this season. Sure they had a few of what Pettaway would call "Dumb losses." But the fact of the matter is we have the rest of the SWAC behind us and you're taking credit away from where credit is due. I'm going to leave you with a quote that I left my boyfriend this morning as text message before the team left for shootaround:

"Great athletes are born from the womb, but champions are born from within. You have been blessed with immense talent and immeasurable tenacity to achieve your dreams. Fight like a warrior and celebrate like a conqueror, for you are the master of your domain."
-Mignon Williams

To Marcus, shake the haters off, boo!!! Love ya, miss ya, can't wait for you to bring home that ring (SWAC ring that is......or anything slightly smaller, Platinum, Princess cut, size 7, Tacori or Simon G maybe??? :ebrow: )

1 fynediva '02 said:
Once again, CJ you show blatent disloyalty to your school. Unlike most people on here who happen to have a little thing called school pride, you act as if you are hatin on your own team, like you didn't even go to A & M. You do it in the band room, you do it on ********, Hell you even do it on the fifth. At least if ASU folks know that they are lacking in some area, you fa sho' won't hear it out of their mouths. Southern and Gram folks, too.

Respect the fact that these men worked hard this season. Sure they had a few of what Pettaway would call "Dumb losses." But the fact of the matter is we have the rest of the SWAC behind us and you're taking credit away from where credit is due. I'm going to leave you with a quote that I left my boyfriend this morning as text message before the team left for shootaround:

"Great athletes are born from the womb, but champions are born from within. You have been blessed with immense talent and immeasurable tenacity to achieve your dreams. Fight like a warrior and celebrate like a conqueror, for you are the master of your domain."
-Mignon Williams

To Marcus, shake the haters off, boo!!! Love ya, miss ya, can't wait for you to bring home that ring (SWAC ring that is......or anything slightly smaller, Platinum, Princess cut, size 7, Tacori or Simon G maybe??? :ebrow: )

like I said earlier its a difference between pride and REALITY.... If AAMU played UNC... of course I would be cheering for AAMU...... do I think AAMU would win.... HELL NO.... and anybody from AAMU tells you they think AAMU would beat UNC they would be lying through their teeth. How is that hating on my own school. DONT EVER question my school pride.

DAHILL said:
like I said earlier its a difference between pride and REALITY.... If AAMU played UNC... of course I would be cheering for AAMU...... do I think AAMU would win.... HELL NO.... and anybody from AAMU tells you they think AAMU would beat UNC they would be lying through their teeth. How is that hating on my own school. DONT EVER question my school pride.

As an alumnus of AAMU, I BELIEVE that AAMU can win.

Winning comes from the MIND FIRST!!!!
Lets go Bulldawgs. Its 5:55 and IM HYPED!!!!!!!!

LETS GO DAWGZZZZZ!!!!

:flamethro KILL THE GRIZZLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shoutout to that dude #10 M. Jones reppin them Mighty Jaguars of James Oliver Johnson High School!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back