A Little Something for the ALCORN and GRAMBLING fans

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
So SU won as well? Damn. This says that Alcorn only had offense.

BYW...where is Kendrick Nord now?

Knord played in Amersterdam back in the late 90's. I remember seeing him on one of the teams playing wide receiver. I think he played in the NFL and Arean league also. I saw Tyrone Jones a few years ago playing in the Arena league.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
So SU won as well? Damn. This says that Alcorn only had offense.

BYW...where is Kendrick Nord now?
SU won in 93, Alcorn won in 94. McNair completed a bomb with about 20 seconds left in the game for the winning TD. SU ran the kickoff back to the Alcorn's 18 yard line. A penalty was called on Alcorn so they had to kick it again, and SU ran it back to the Alcorn's 10 yard line but time had expired. Alcorn's defense and special teams were horrible.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
Dude did yall see the crowd!!!! Man...

Robber I think we were standing next to each other cause I kept bumping in to this dude who was about 6'2'' looking at the Golden Girls.
Thats every week on SU's campus. I remember in 93 when SU played McNair. The student section was fill at 4:00:eek:, and the stadium at 5:00 for a 7:00 start. I remember Charlie Ward,Warrick Dunn,Doug Williams, and others stars being on the sidelines. The local TV station interviewed Ward after the game and him mentioning he never witnessed a better QB in his life. He said McNair should win the heisman. Ward also spoke highly of SU's home crowd, and gave complements on how they were into the game. I remember seeing him at the after party. I could tell how he was looking, he had never been around that many beautiful black women in his life. It was interesting that Ward's sister later attended SU.

Storm96 said:
I was there too.

Me TOO

Still the best football game (college, pro or high school) that I have ever seen. The electricity in the stadium, the excitement, the entertaining style of play.

What a game !!!!!

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
Trust.McNair made defenses look bad. SU had a great D in 93, lead the nation, but McNair made SU look bad,real bad be we won the game.

I went to the 94 game at SU. It was our bye week or something if I'm not mistaken.

Good game as well.

buckwheat1911 said:
Grambling had a big Offensive line back then also.

Grambling had a <b>VERY, VERY STRONG</b> o-line back in the gap! Could move fraking mountains, man. :read: Now? They want'em big (for zone blocking/pass blocking) but they ain't strong or STRONG looking (checkout these current frames lol). Also, checkout how these "currents" walk up to the line whereas back in the gap, those guys were damn near SPRINTING to the line to get set and when they set, there was gonna' be some helmet-to-helmet contact commencing! :nod:

Gott DAYAM I'm ready for football season to start!

That game along with the Southern/Alcorn Games during the McNair era were classics. I got excited reading about them online and watching highlight shows. How great it would be if ESPN, BET, The Black Family Channel were to rerun those games again.

Also, who could get excited about the Mississippi Valley Games during the Jerry Rice era?

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
Was that when E'Vinski Davis was the center?

I'm not certain of the names DSN. But what we all DO know is that GSU had a MANSTER O-Line and some MANSTER type wing-backs back in the gap! :nod: :bowdown:

The linemen (trenchmen) made those squads go back in the gap! :nod: That's the TYPE O-Line that we could wish we could have! :smash:

Robber said:
I remember arriving at the stadium, buying my ticket and not paying attention to where I was walking. When I finally got my bearings, I was standing in the midst of the Golden Girls, who were beginning to line up to enter the stadium. I musta spinned around for about 5 minutes just looking at those golden ARSES.

They were nice ARSES :swink:

That was a good game one of the best. I believe the best game was '83 Valley and Alcorn.(Rice Vs. Sir Issac Holt)

cat daddy said:
He was gone by 94.

You're right he was in Law School by that time. I know that he was one of the few to actually get a B.A. and Master ALL while playing. His last season the following May he graduated with a MPA.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Great video. Those were the end of my high school days, but I remember being a fan of Black College Football.

I almost forgot how much fun those players used to have with those end-zone celebrations. Now days there woulda been a whole lotta penalties......LOL

Games like this one is why Alcorn and Grambling should always play the first game of the year. I was at this game. We were hurt that night. We just knew that we were going to go into Grambling and come out with a win. Even when we were behind with time running out, we still believed.

That just made my football itch worse.

................I can down from Memphis,only to find a sellout and had to stand on top of the hill and watch.

Panthro said:
Grambling had a <b>VERY, VERY STRONG</b> o-line back in the gap! Could move fraking mountains, man. :read: Now? They want'em big (for zone blocking/pass blocking) but they ain't strong or STRONG looking (checkout these current frames lol). Also, checkout how these "currents" walk up to the line whereas back in the gap, those guys were damn near SPRINTING to the line to get set and when they set, there was gonna' be some helmet-to-helmet contact commencing! :nod:

Gott DAYAM I'm ready for football season to start!
To me our o-line is in better shape than in the Rob era.

Croft84 said:
That was a good game one of the best. I believe the best game was '83 Valley and Alcorn.(Rice Vs. Sir Issac Holt)

That 1983 game made me truly fall in love with SWAC football. I had never seen that many black people at a sporting event in my life. And the crowd was electric. Alcorn State and Valley were both ranked high in the Division
I-AA poll. Matter of fact, Alcorn leaped to No. 1 in the country after beating Valley. Alcorn's defense was poppin' heads that night. I picked Alcorn but many in my family picked Valley to win.
By the way, Nord was an underated player.

truthteller said:
I made the game too. I was a freshman at Alcorn State that year. Traffic was horrific.

what up boy...I can't believe you got time to read this

Back