2024 Olympic Track and Field Schedule

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
A distant memory
Dave Wottle was a beast.

Look at how fast they ran the 800m even in 1972.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHid-nC45k

They were not slow in 1984 either.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpiA13XjOi8
I always love that Dave Wottle race and the stories behind him in that moment.

The 800 is what I used to run in high school and college. Even though I had some success, I never mastered it. It was so frustrating as it is such a tactical race. You need everything be it sprinter speed and endurance plus the smarts to know when to lay back and conserve and when to kick. Years after I've ran, my mind sometimes wonder off into how many more races I could have won if I had just strategized and/or held on to what I was doing a little better.

For the most part and from my observations, the Kenyans are so naturally gifted in this event proven by their performances over the years, including those born there but have ran for other countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: EB

Subscribe to the HBCU Sports Newsletter

* indicates required
I always love that Dave Wottle race and the stories behind him in that moment.

The 800 is what I used to run in high school and college. Even though I had some success, I never mastered it. It was so frustrating as it is such a tactical race. You need everything be it sprinter speed and endurance plus the smarts to know when to lay back and conserve and when to kick. Years after I've ran, my mind sometimes wonder off into how many more races I could have if I had just strategized and/or held on to what I was doing a little better.

For the most part and from my observations, the Kenyans are so naturally gifted in this even proven by their performances over the years, including those born there but have ran for other countries.

I still do this about my final two races in high school on my way to the state finals in the 4x400 and what I should have done differently

Back