2022-23 Bowl Game Attendance

Interesting...since the SWAC and MEAC postseason bowl game with each other is so well attended, what if we allowed the 2nd and 3rd place finishers do the same thing. I mean, if there is more money out there for our own institutions, why not?
Well, both the MEAC and SWAC still value the possibly of qualifying for the FCS playoffs as evidenced by FAMU trying to position itself to be in the postseason this year.

Also, the SWAC commish has gone on record in saying that it would be ideal if the conference could have representation in the Celebration Bowl and the playoffs.

And I don’t know whether either conference would pursue — for now — another bowl game for the conference runner-ups because there’s a chance that second place team could get an at-large bid.

The SIAC and CIAA participate in the postseason, too. So that would have to be worked out.

Last edited:
Well, both the MEAC and SWAC still value the possibly of qualifying for the FCS playoffs as evidenced by FAMU trying to position itself to be in the postseason this year.

Also, the SWAC commish has gone on record in saying that it would be ideal if the conference could have representation in the Celebration Bowl and the playoffs.

And I don’t know whether either conference would pursue — for now — another bowl game for the conference runner-ups because there’s a chance that second place team could get an at-large bid.

The SIAC and CIAA participate in the postseason, too. So that would have to be worked out.
If FAMU had not won the inaugural 1-AA playoff game, or won a game or two in the playoffs during the Billy Joe years, I wonder would their continued push would be as strong. Again, I was initially pushing playoffs for all HBCU too, but being older and knowing a little more behind the scenes about the financial situations that some schools are in, I'm more for what works best for us, branding it, and taking it to the next level. Those low attendance numbers and the many losses or failed attempts from HBCUs participants (for various reasons) to advance consistently just stands out and again why I say let's focus on what benefits HBCUs the most.

FCS Championship game didn't even sell out the soccer stadium...
What's their #, Fi? As a fan of either, I'd be pissed that two neighboring state schools had to travel 1000+ miles away for a game.

Edited: 18,603 was the attendance; capacity at the soccer venue is now 18,700, down from the 22K they once had. They reported 99% capacity.

Last edited:
Interesting...since the SWAC and MEAC postseason bowl game with each other is so well attended, what if we allowed the 2nd and 3rd place finishers do the same thing. I mean, if there is more money out there for our own institutions, why not? Make it a continual battle of the two conferences. The SIAC and CIAA could follow suit...

Note, when I was younger, I definitely did not see it this way (going to a Bowl game instead of the playoffs), but again I whatever is more feasible for our institutions with regards to finances.

Have to have sponsorships. People tend to forget that the Celebration Bowl is propped up by ESPN

What's their #, Fi? As a fan of either, I'd be pissed that two neighboring state schools had to travel 1000+ miles away for a game.

Edited: 18,603 was the attendance; capacity at the soccer venue is now 18,700, down from the 22K they once had. They reported 99% capacity.

This is showing the capacity of the stadium at 20,500, so they only had 88% capacity.

1673268715559.png

Attachments

• 1673268615004.png
    1673268615004.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 0
That game was standing room only. I saw it on tv and there was not an empty seat visible

You know by watching TV they don't show the entire stadium only certain shots. I'm going by the official count that was turned in on the stat sheet.

Back