2015-2016 Swac & Meac Band #'s predictions

It's been said yall have done alot of recruiting so it's expected that your band should grow in size too. I'm hoping so cuz we need more consistent powerhouses outside of the main two. I Wana see TxSU back to their bigger size as well and I'm hoping AAMU grows in size too. They had a nice sound last season.

We'll see about SOD, I'm watching A&M as well, they had a very disciplined sound last year. With a little more size and power they could be nice. Good foundation they are building there.

Some arrangements won't sound right if there are no highs.
While I do think sections need to focus more on the cake of the sound, nothing wrong with a little icing. It has been too much icing lately, I can't say that regarding JSU last year though. They rarely screamed especially early in the season and left me wanting on some songs. Some of the hate trumpets get is jealousy imo, nothing is like the sound of the trumpet.

I agree about the highs. Only one person would scream throuout the beginning and midseason in the Boom and he was the only upperclassmen screamer that did it correctly. The directors at JSU have stopped students from screaming until they've learned to do it correctly. Folks get excited, lose their minds and sound foolish then mess up the sound of the whole band when screaming i.e. MAAB.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It's been said yall have done alot of recruiting so it's expected that your band should grow in size too. I'm hoping so cuz we need more consistent powerhouses outside of the main two. I Wana see TxSU back to their bigger size as well and I'm hoping AAMU grows in size too. They had a nice sound last season.
TXSU ain't getting bigger anytime soon. Houston is struggling on the high school band scene, and they no longer have that pipeline to New Orleans that they enjoyed in 2005-2008. Only way they get bigger is if they managed to nab some recruits from other areas. I think Talladega has cut into their recruiting pool too.

Last edited:
TXSU ain't getting bigger anytime soon. Houston is struggling on the high school band scene, and they no longer have that pipeline to New Orleans that they enjoyed in 2005-2008. Only way they get bigger is if they managed to nab some recruits from other areas. I think Talladega has cut into their recruiting pool too.

I can see what you mean. I feel like they have the potential to get out and do some hard recruting, they're just not taking advantage of it like other schools. TC ain't been around long and if they've gotten the size they are now I feel as if these other schools shouldn't have problems either unless it's just funding which I'm guessing so. I don't like making assumptions about others programs so I won't go into all that.

I can see what you mean. I feel like they have the potential to get out and do some hard recruting, they're just not taking advantage of it like other schools. TC ain't been around long and if they've gotten the size they are now I feel as if these other schools shouldn't have problems either unless it's just funding which I'm guessing so. I don't like making assumptions about others programs so I won't go into all that.

Well the thing about T.C. Is they're set up to where the band is literally the focal point of the institution. They have no football team or any other major program blocking them. I think it's impressive how much they've progress in such a short time towards how much they've progressed in numbers, in their travels, and their recruiting. However I hope Miguel can establish an identity for them and stat Honda should be a wake up call for them ... They're a parody of southern... And jsu. I mean I can't stand southern, but I respect them and understand you can't out southern southern.

I think t.c. Will continue to increase in size.... Their b-tones over power their band so I'll be looking for trombone and trumpet increase and strength this season from them.... They need to find a signature sound man and stop over blasting it sounds horrible, and can they please get better arrangers ? Their current one is slaw as hell.... Middle schools could execute those arrangements.... Give me more technical peices that challenge your musicality amoung your players.... I mean this is college for Christ sake not band for the loud mentally challenged... Just my 2 cents though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

Not only that. But Houston kids still will bypass TxSU and head to SU in a heartbeat. And over the years, the Dallas kids have been coming to SU in numbers. Not to mention just Texas kids in general with Carl Collins down there in Beaumont sending kids back to SU.

New Orleans got too many Juke alums as directors for them to steal too many kids from SU. If they can get in school at Southern. Then they are coming.

Bands can recruit all they want but if they don't have money for scholarships.....

That is true. More than ever now. But it doesn't stop kids from wanting to go. I think all band directors face limitations on scholarships. So you hope the kid can get in otherwise. This why my KKPSI frat chapter alumni bruhs and Human Jukebox Alumni are giving back to SU Band program. We have to do so to maintain these days. Folks be on here laughing at bands and money things. But our schools are not in the business to fund these huge programs. So it will be up to the alums to help with that kind of stuff. You will not find a band director at any HBCU that is not complaining about money from their administration to pay staff and give scholarships along with buying/maintaining instruments.

That is true. More than ever now. But it doesn't stop kids from wanting to go. I think all band directors face limitations on scholarships. So you hope the kid can get in otherwise. This why my KKPSI frat chapter alumni bruhs and Human Jukebox Alumni are giving back to SU Band program. We have to do so to maintain these days. Folks be on here laughing at bands and money things. But our schools are not in the business to fund these huge programs. So it will be up to the alums to help with that kind of stuff. You will not find a band director at any HBCU that is not complaining about money from their administration to pay staff and give scholarships along with buying/maintaining instruments.

Speak the truth and stop typing all this PORK! Dowell Taylor got about almost everything he asked Dr. Meyers for. New expensive uniforms, practice field, new director's tower and scholarships. Dr. Sanford was/is recruiting students to give scholarships to. She even sent emails to alumni (not just band alumni, all JSU alumni) requesting funds to buy new wind suits for the band. Before you type, know what you are talking about or just shut up.

Last edited:
Speak the truth and stop typing all this PORK! Dowell Taylor got about everything who asked Dr. Meyers for. New expensive uniforms, practice field, new director's tower and scholarships. Dr. Sanford was/is recruiting students to give scholarships to. She even sent emails to alumni (not just band alumni, all JSU alumni) requesting funds to buy new wind suits for the band. Before you type, know what you are talking about or just shut up.

Maybe those "barber shop guys" from Jackson hadn't updated him yet on the happenings around these parts. Lol

Not only that. But Houston kids still will bypass TxSU and head to SU in a heartbeat. And over the years, the Dallas kids have been coming to SU in numbers. Not to mention just Texas kids in general with Carl Collins down there in Beaumont sending kids back to SU.

New Orleans got too many Juke alums as directors for them to steal too many kids from SU. If they can get in school at Southern. Then they are coming.
Yeah they got that influx from New Orleans because of Katrina, but those New Orleans dudes are coming to SU and JSU(Karr has a JSU director), and the ones that don't qualify for either go to Talladega now. And you're right, Texas has been deep in our band for a while. Have several Juke BDs out in Dallas, the Beaumont/Port Arthur area is SU territory now and Houston has always been ours.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Speak the truth and stop typing all this PORK! Dowell Taylor got about everything who asked Dr. Meyers for. New expensive uniforms, practice field, new director's tower and scholarships. Dr. Sanford was/is recruiting students to give scholarships to. She even sent emails to alumni (not just band alumni, all JSU alumni) requesting funds to buy new wind suits for the band. Before you type, know what you are talking about or just shut up.
Calm down, that's all good for JSU, but there are at least 20-30 other HBCU band programs that don't have it like that.

Maybe those "barber shop guys" from Jackson hadn't updated him yet on the happenings around these parts. Lol

The Barber shop guys could care less about the band. LOL. They are all about the ball team. If I mention band to them they just roll their eyes and say them mofos don't know when to stop playing or sit down. You know kind of like Get Ready says on this board about the bands playing too much.

Speak the truth and stop typing all this PORK! Dowell Taylor got about almost everything he asked Dr. Meyers for. New expensive uniforms, practice field, new director's tower and scholarships. Dr. Sanford was/is recruiting students to give scholarships to. She even sent emails to alumni (not just band alumni, all JSU alumni) requesting funds to buy new wind suits for the band. Before you type, know what you are talking about or just shut up.

I wonder if I call Dowell up right now and ask him his thoughts about getting everything he wants all the time from JSU administration. I wonder if he will say I never had to battle with them to get what I wanted. You really think he would say that. LOL.

Like I said, NO HBCU BAND DIRECTOR will say he got everything he wanted from their administration. Whether it's instruments, uniforms, scholarships or even travel budget to go to every AWAY game. Meyers may be supportive of the band, but it does not mean she just writes a blank check for them to do whatever they want. They still have a budget. Sheesh.

The other thing about my post was it wasn't even directed at JSU. You came in hear bumping your gumbs like I need to tell JR that JSU don't have the same issues with band funding as the other HBCUs do. Seemed a little personal.

Last edited:
"state of the union" for the jukebox?! Hahahahahaha!!

You lol @ something that makes no sense to laugh at. Are you that clueless? The dude is doing the job he should be. Maybe if some of the SWAC ADs thought like Haymer they would get more money to help promote their schools sports teams and force the commish to sign better uniform deals instead of that crap we get from Russell.

Sometimes JR talks so much, he reminds me of a ventriloquist doll sitting on someone's knee. lol

View attachment 3594

Good thread gone to crap by the usual I need to insert something personal in there. Sheesh. Man, do you cats work in corporate or just some any ole type of job. Never seen such folks like some of you bicker over nothing. This wasn't a thread about JSU. And you didn't even attend the school. So what's your issue? Besides being a jerk?

Sometimes JR talks so much, he reminds me of a ventriloquist doll sitting on someone's knee. lol

picture-11.png

Back