2015-2016 Swac & Meac Band #'s predictions

THEESwacProphet

THEE SWACs Neighborhood Prophet
Ite band heads it's that time of the year again, and band season is approaching with new staff changes , a new year, and new opportunities. So my question is simple, if you had to guess or if you heard something on the streets , how many band members are expected to increase or decrease the following programs for the 2015-2016 band season overall and by sections?

Tnsu ????
Txsu ????
Grambling ????
Southern ????
Jackson State ????
AAMU ????
Uapb ????
Talledega ????
BCU ?????
ASU ??????
FAMU ?????
Pvamu ??????
Alcorn ??????
Mvsu ??????
And any others I left out. If you can provide YouTube links to band camps and reveal days as they come between now and August that would be great.! Let the smack and bragging begin my fellow band heads... I'm all ears ...!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I've heard Jackson state is expected to have 60-70 trumpets and 25-30 baritones from other online blogs who either are alumni or active currently on campus.

60 trumpets? Sheesh..

Wasn't it around 55 of them last year?
They really need it for balance though, all those Fhorns and baritones y'all had last year, the trumpets still had trouble at times.

I bet Bama st is going to be huge as well

They really need it for balance though, all those Fhorns and baritones y'all had last year, the trumpets still had trouble at times.

Yea they had 50 last year and needed another 10-15 because those fhorns and baritones were swallowing them up lol!!

Yea they had 50 last year and needed another 10-15 because those fhorns and baritones were swallowing them up lol!!

Well the problem was half of them were freshman and Taylor didn't let them scream if they didn't hit those notes with precision. Now that the freshman are broke in. I think the trumpets will be very strong this year for jsu. Especially adding 10-15 more of them.

Which is unusual for JSU trumpets. Normally they are one of the more dominant sections in the Boom. The home area has always produced good trumpet players. I wouldn't expect anything less than a good section. Baritone is becoming a more popular instrument. I can remember when only a few bands had great baritones. Now it seems like a lot of them have some. Same with F Horns.

Which is unusual for JSU trumpets. Normally they are one of the more dominant sections in the Boom. The home area has always produced good trumpet players. I wouldn't expect anything less than a good section. Baritone is becoming a more popular instrument. I can remember when only a few bands had great baritones. Now it seems like a lot of them have some. Same with F Horns.
You are exactly right. Trump funk always has been one of the most dominant sections . They probably would have been stronger in any other band last year but it was too much heat coming from behind them in the boom lol!

Well the problem was half of them were freshman and Taylor didn't let them scream if they didn't hit those notes with precision. Now that the freshman are broke in. I think the trumpets will be very strong this year for jsu. Especially adding 10-15 more of them.

It was a little more than half. Last year was one of the biggest freshman trumpet sections to come through JSU so this year they should be heard alot more with that first year out the way as stated earlier. As of now, they do have alot of freshman on the list coming in that have already registered and paid for band camp so they will be a little bigger. It's good the band's budget got increased again this year cuz they need it with all these kids coming. They have a whole band from Jackson alone coming in and you know they always have out of state kids from everywhere so that merge might be something to see.

It was a little more than half. Last year was one of the biggest freshman trumpet sections to come through JSU so this year they should be heard alot more with that first year out the way as stated earlier. As of now, they do have alot of freshman on the list coming in that have already registered and paid for band camp so they will be a little bigger. It's good the band's budget got increased again this year cuz they need it with all these kids coming. They have a whole band from Jackson alone coming in and you know they always have out of state kids from everywhere so that merge might be something to see.

Yup lol jsu brass alone about the size of some people whole bands...! but they need to re-establish that balanced sound they had in 2013. They were bringing heat but it was all sections putting in that work! Man speaking of brass .... Southern ? I heard yal expecting a lil increase from last year... Is this true?

they need to re-establish that balanced sound they had in 2013. They were bringing heat but it was all sections putting in that work! ....

Little got a plan for all that this year so don't worry. He is now focused more so on trumpets and trombones and balancing everything out this season because of the strong btone & mello sections. He knows those two sections gone come regardless so he'll probably do some reconfiguring as far as brass goes to fix the sound as it should be. You'll see the changes this season. Little is a very smart man/musician and an even better band director.

when I heard them in the spring they sounded stronger, so they sound like they growing up. All those Fhorns & Batones them boys got to

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
... and Taylor didn't let them scream if they didn't hit those notes with precision. ...
Well, he didn't do a great job of stopping them. I am all done with the screaming stuff. I haven't heard a SWAC band in 30 years that did it correctly.
No, not one. No exceptions.

Word on the street is southern might be on that 230-250 size. Haymer stated on the jukebox YouTube Chanel they are expecting well over 160 freshman signed up for band camp in the coming weeks.... Thoughts?

Well, he didn't do a great job of stopping them. I am all done with the screaming stuff. I haven't heard a SWAC band in 30 years that did it correctly.
It's hard to please you in much of anything band related these days. Can you throw in ONE compliment every now and then?

Word on the street is southern might be on that 230-250 size. Haymer stated on the jukebox YouTube Chanel they are expecting well over 160 freshman signed up for band camp in the coming weeks.... Thoughts?

I think he will keep 192 on the field. Doc always said that was the perfect size with the right folks. We did it for one game in 86. LOL. I think Nate will have 230 in the band. But not on the field. You need competition for those spots on the field.

I think he will keep 192 on the field. Doc always said that was the perfect size with the right folks. We did it for one game in 86. LOL. I think Nate will have 230 in the band. But not on the field. You need competition for those spots on the field.

That'll be a good size for SU. I kinda feel like Nate might have them a little bigger maybe 250 or so. I'd like to see how they'll be around thay size which I know would be crazy. Especially with those nice arrangements and the intensity they can bring.

What alcorn looking like this year. I'm expecting them to have a slight increase as well a lil increase here and there in certain sections but around the same size... Do you know anything?

That'll be a good size for SU. I kinda feel like Nate might have them a little bigger maybe 250 or so. I'd like to see how they'll be around thay size which I know would be crazy. Especially with those nice arrangements and the intensity they can bring.

It would., however, I would like to see southern bring back some old uptempo songs... There were a lot of ballads and popular tunes written, which was great and made them fan favorites, however I want different tricks for su in the stands like that queens balled they played the first game was good keep going that direction in the stands too. Also on the field they need smoother transitions and maybe some skits on the field to ... To add entertainment value. Section wise keep challenging and strengthening them tubas... I'm not a fan of the white horses cause I like lows and building a foundation for your band but I will say them brothers and sisters play their ass off on those parts.! Trombones can be stronger they weren't always consistent.. But I digress.

What alcorn looking like this year. I'm expecting them to have a slight increase as well a lil increase here and there in certain sections but around the same size... Do you know anything?

I don't yet, but I'm expecting the same

Some arrangements won't sound right if there are no highs.
While I do think sections need to focus more on the cake of the sound, nothing wrong with a little icing. It has been too much icing lately, I can't say that regarding JSU last year though. They rarely screamed especially early in the season and left me wanting on some songs. Some of the hate trumpets get is jealousy imo, nothing is like the sound of the trumpet.

I don't yet, but I'm expecting the same

It's been said yall have done alot of recruiting so it's expected that your band should grow in size too. I'm hoping so cuz we need more consistent powerhouses outside of the main two. I Wana see TxSU back to their bigger size as well and I'm hoping AAMU grows in size too. They had a nice sound last season.

Back