2008 Honda Battle of the Bands SUCKED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NCCU is a BAND with a DIVERSE program who won't let people lock them into a mode. And like your parents tried to tell you, people of color have to be able to do what is both culturally comfortable and what is completely opposite - and do it better than anybody else.

I told the narrowminded on these boards that very when NCCU was selected by Florida State's Marching Chiefs to stand in for them last year during football season. When you are builiding a marching band program today and TRYING TO PREPARE YOUR GRADUATES TO GET THE AVAILABLE JOBS IN THE MUSIC EDUCATION MARKET, YOU MUST GIVE THEM PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE IN MULTIPLE STYLES: SHOWBAND, HIGH-STEP, AND CORP. IF YOU DON'T, THEN YOU ARE CHEATING THE STUDENTS.

Off my soapbox.

......you through? Okay :tup:

Uh BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!......BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mannnn gone somewhere wit that BS. Diversity? you'own know nuthin bout me. Me and over 60000 other folks whatn' feelin that isht. You talkin like what HBCU's do (Showstyle) aint good enough; like we gotta do what the crackers do to please them.

Diversity (bandfield level) my ssa!

"Snake"

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

....wait a minute? Did you hear this????

When you are builiding a marching band program today and TRYING TO PREPARE YOUR GRADUATES TO GET THE AVAILABLE JOBS IN THE MUSIC EDUCATION MARKET, YOU MUST GIVE THEM PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE IN MULTIPLE STYLES: SHOWBAND, HIGH-STEP, AND CORP. IF YOU DON'T, THEN YOU ARE CHEATING THE STUDENTS.[/B]

....what principal or whoever is doing the hiring care about what marching style a person can do? Of all the music educators I know, aint nam one done said that getting the job depends on some isht like that. Thats some of the wildest isht I done heard in a minute.

These cartoon characters I tell'ya. smh

"Snake"

....what principal or whoever is doing the hiring care about what marching style a person can do? Of all the music educators I know, aint nam one done said that getting the job depends on some isht like that. Thats some of the wildest isht I done heard in a minute.

That's pretty much what I said.......don't get me wrong, it's nothing wrong with being diverse; however, being more familiar or experienced with one style doesn't cheat you out of future positions. :tup: I can go down a list of folks I know personally that has only known ONE style (showstyle) and had no problems becoming BD's and instructors. :nod:

well I liked the NCCU show... I get bored seeing the same... entrance, fanfare, drill, concert/dance, dance routine theme shows. It was something different.

well I liked the NCCU show... I get bored seeing the same... entrance, fanfare, drill, concert/dance, dance routine theme shows. It was something different.

..aint nuthin wrong with that.

It still didnt kick know zza though :lol: And never will in black kingdom.

But d@mn CJ; they had on silver shoes.

LOL

"Snake"

So you're saying, NCCU is the present day version of what Miss. Valley State used to be in the early 1980?s?

Heck no. Valley was no joke in the 80s and they stayed strictly to their style. Was no mixing at halftime. The did their corp drills. Play their spanish style music(we played much of it in HS) and did their thing. You could respect Valley. Plus they were big and a beautiful sound. I will not even mention how thorough their drummers were. You can see it in BCCs Drum line who is instructed by a 80s Valley alum Pedro Orey.

Vette, I think the TBS/KKY section seats were horrible. If thats where they are gonna have us sit next year, I won't be buying from them...lol...those were the worst.

But I must say...I really enjoyed Txsu at the honda...the rest of the bands were boring...especially NCCU...I just couldn't get in to it.

Vette, I think the TBS/KKY section seats were horrible. If thats where they are gonna have us sit next year, I won't be buying from them...lol...those were the worst.

But I must say...I really enjoyed Txsu at the honda...the rest of the bands were boring...especially NCCU...I just couldn't get in to it.

Yo, Sniper, who did y'all get the TBS/KKY tickets from?

I didnt even realize Honda was Saturday until I passed it on the way to Atlantic Station to get drunk. I knew I wasnt goin when I saw the lineup though.

Battle of the Bands 2008
by Flavor450.com

atlanta, georgia 1/30/2008 04:12 AM GMT (FINDITT)

Flavor450.com the nations original hip hop internet radio station was privileged to cover one of the biggest events in Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU). The feeling in the air was one of pride, healthy rivalry, and nervousness, as many of the finest HBCUs entered the Georgia Dome for the Fifth Annual Honda Battle of the Bands. Top HBCUs including Tuskegee, Texas Southern University, Virginia State, Bethune-Cookman College, North Carolina Central, Shaw, University of Arkansas @ Pine Bluff, and many others geared up for what many would call the highlight of the band season.

The excitement in the air was partly due to the entrenched rivalries between participating bands, despite the absence of keynote players such as Florida A&M, Prairie View A&M, and Hampton University. The Battle of the Bands offers top bands the opportunity to perform in front of thousands of fans. As any HBCU band competition, there was no shortage of surprise acts, bright costumes, beautiful dancers, and entertaining skits. The Texas Southern marching band, also known as the ?Ocean of Soul?, earned a standing ovation when they commanded the field with precision stepping and comical skits involving Superman and Batman. The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff and North Carolina Central also hosted entertaining performances, led by their swift moving and precision stepping dance teams. Biff Barker and G.C. of Flavor450.com were fortunate enough to catch up with the lovely ladies of the University of Tuskegee dance team back stage for a quick interview.

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=34789&cat=2

Really? I kinda liked them cause the view was just right. :nod: I guess that explains why everyone was so quiet. :lol:

I did not see you guys way up in the NOSE BLEED section till after the Honda. I remember that in 2007....Near the dj booth

You guys where on the bottom level I think.............
I wanted to get some pictures of you guys....

But I had to work with the Honda staff to upload pictures to the server.............

Heck no. Valley was no joke in the 80s and they stayed strictly to their style. Was no mixing at halftime. The did their corp drills. Play their spanish style music(we played much of it in HS) and did their thing. You could respect Valley. Plus they were big and a beautiful sound. I will not even mention how thorough their drummers were. You can see it in BCCs Drum line who is instructed by a 80s Valley alum Pedro Orey.

Exactly. :tup: And I've seen footage of Valley back in the 80's. Good shat!! :nod: :nod:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
See, it wold have helped UAPB a lil bit if the song was actually out down here. I have NEVER heard it on the radio. And I see they used Grady High School band in the video. We were all in the stands like, Franchize? We thought they were dead? LOL

Well I know the song is out in Birmingham, Ala.... cause the station 95.7 Jamz played it faithfully, when I went there a few weeks ago, however, in Atlanta, we probably just not feelin it. Every city plays their own select music, whether it is popular or not. Just like the north doesn't play alot of souther hip hop, and the south does not play alot of northern hip hop. That's just how it is.

I did not see you guys way up in the NOSE BLEED section till after the Honda. I remember that in 2007....Near the dj booth

You guys where on the bottom level I think.............
I wanted to get some pictures of you guys....

But I had to work with the Honda staff to upload pictures to the server.............

The view was good, I'll give them that. But, I actually liked the seats we always had on the 1st level. TBS/KKY WERE always crunk in that section. But eh....maybe next year. The view was excellent.

PART 2...2008 Honda Battle of the Bands....

as stated before......

I really did not like that quick tribute to Dr. Greggs............
Nothing was mention at the HBCU Banquet that Friday night...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back