Rookies from the Southwestern Athletic Conference will make their preseason debuts with NFL teams this weekend.
Defensive back Qua Cox got things started when the Indianapolis Colts faced the New York Jets Thursday while receiver Lee Doss of the Washington Redskins saw action against New England Patriots.
The night cap featured the Seattle Seahawks traveling to the Denver Broncos. Tight End Rashaun Allen enters his first season with the defending Super Bowl champions. Rob Smith (Oakland Raiders) and Isaiah Crowell (Cleveland Browns) will each play Friday and Saturday night respectively.
Isaiah Crowell (RB – Alabama State)
– Crowell completed his career ASU with 1,963 yards rushing on 329 carries. He scored 30 touchdowns and averaged 5.9 yards per carry. His rushing yards are the sixth most in Hornets history while his 180 career points scored have him tied for fifth. He was named All-SWAC the last two seasons and SWAC Newcomer of the Year in 2012.
Qua Cox (DB – Jackson State)
– Cox ended is his career with 145 tackles (102 solo), 10 interceptions, 40 pass deflections, 4.5 tackles for a loss and three sacks. He was named All SWAC while leading JSU to back-to-back championship game appearance.
Rob Smith (DT – Jackson State)
– Smith ended the 2013 season with 37 tackles (10 solo) and 3.5 tackles for a loss including 1.5 sacks. In one season at JSU, he helped guide the Tigers to the 2013 SWAC Football Championship.
Lee Doss (WR – Southern)
– Doss helped SU capture the 2013 Toyota SWAC Football Championship and was twice named All-SWAC. In three seasons, he collected 177 receptions for 2,280 yards (12.9 yards per catch) with 23 touchdowns.
Rashaun Allen (TE – Southern)
– Allen caught nine passes for 53 yards last year and no touchdowns. In two seasons, he collected 27 receptions for 194 yards and one touchdown. In 2012, he averaged 7.8 yards per catch.