Larry Wilmore WHCD

I will say this. I was not alive during an era where people were beaten and called the "n" word by others, so I will have to respect the elders feelings about the n word. Sometimes, I forget about the generational gap and that I was fortunate enough to never experience a few things.

Nah...but we're alive when black folks rap about (and actually go about) "smokin' n*s"

Didn't we jump Jesse Jackson for calling Obama n*?

When you have to explain your joke, you've blown it.

i don't see why yall upset..it was in context. President Obama liked it...

The White House has released an official statement in support of Larry Wilmore's use of the N-word during this year's White House Correspondents Dinner. Press Secretary Josh Earnest reported that President Obama "appreciated the spirit of Mr. Wilmore's expressions on Saturday night."
source: http://www.tvguide.com/news/white-house-larry-wilmore-n-word/
What else would you expect the White House to say over the usage of the word. I'm willing to bet he will not be featured at another White House public event. His attempt at shock value was too stereotypical.

i don't see why yall upset..it was in context. President Obama liked it...

The White House has released an official statement in support of Larry Wilmore's use of the N-word during this year's White House Correspondents Dinner. Press Secretary Josh Earnest reported that President Obama "appreciated the spirit of Mr. Wilmore's expressions on Saturday night."
source: http://www.tvguide.com/news/white-house-larry-wilmore-n-word/

Dude...that's a nice way of saying Wilmore screwed up lol.

I think Wilmore knew the backlash would come. It looked like he intentionally wanted to burn an entire room.

If educated black people gave the same attention to black on black crime, black unemployment, domestic violence and robberies going on in the hood by folks who look like us as they do about some nerd goofy azz dude saying nikker we could get some where. Instead you are more interested in a dam title and a word. This why the word nikker exist.

Cee, I have never heard any other ethnic group refer to themselves using a derogatory word. We are the only group that refer to ourselves in such a manner and think it's cool. What's wrong with this picture?

Cee, I have never heard any other ethnic group refer to themselves using a derogatory word. We are the only group that refer to ourselves in such a manner and think it's cool. What's wrong with this picture?
I could care less about a word. I care more about these young brothers shooting each other every day. Those killings impact the black race way more then the n word ever will.

I don't think you hang around other races enough to make this judgement. Maybe in media you can say this is true, but getting "down to earth people", I know they say certain things to one another, and sometimes it may be worse. I remember working with a couple of Mexicans who joked and called each other "the help". I've hung around Asian's before who called one another Chinks, and they weren't always talking about a Chinese person they were Japanese or Vietnamese.
So, like a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound? Just because you're not around to hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And oh I've heard white folks call each other rednecks as a term of endearment and this is in Corporate America!

I could care less about a word. I care more about these young brothers shooting each other every day. Those killings impact the black race way more then the n word ever will.

Obviously you don't see the connection with these young brothers shooting and killing one another when they consider each other as N....... and not human beings. Maybe it's been ingrained in them all their lives through the culture.

Brother I understand why they kill. I'm from the gutter. I come from generational bangers and slangers. In fact my lil cousin got popped last night. Just like his daddy he to was a killer. It has nothing to with the n word. Black folks have been calling each other the n word since slavery. Black folks shot and killed each other in Jim Crow era. We need to stop telling this lie about the good old southern days. Those days never existed for real. Maybe in towns with a population of 500 to 1000 where everyone was family, but in metropolitan areas that never existed. If it wasn't the dope it was the bootlegged liquo

Obviously you don't see the connection with these young brothers shooting and killing one another when they consider each other as N....... and not human beings. Maybe it's been ingrained in them all their lives through the culture.

Last edited:

True.......You're on point

Reactions: J C
I don't think you hang around other races enough to make this judgement. Maybe in media you can say this is true, but getting "down to earth people", I know they say certain things to one another, and sometimes it may be worse. I remember working with a couple of Mexicans who joked and called each other "the help". I've hung around Asian's before who called one another Chinks, and they weren't always talking about a Chinese person they were Japanese or Vietnamese.
So, like a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound? Just because you're not around to hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And oh I've heard white folks call each other rednecks as a term of endearment and this is in Corporate America!

Good points. Problem is, which one of these groups take a slur created against them by another race (this excludes redneck since they created that I believe) and inject it into their popular culture (music, movies, etc.) as well as their vernacular? And I'm not talking about a few guys calling themselves whatever...that's irrelevant.

Last edited:

The sad part is educated black people will never admit most don't give a dang about poor blacks. They only care about their cliques and status.

You may need to get out more often. White folks have been using the term "White Trash" to disparage their own since the days of slavery. Who do you think came up with the term "Redneck". It wasn't us. Neither of the aforementioned terms in their original form were meant to be complementary. Hell, White Trash still isn't today. But Jeff Foxworthey, a comedian, got rich practically overnight using redneck jokes and I've NEVER heard anyone complain about it.

In fact, those jokes became so popular, some people actually took pride in calling themselves rednecks.

Last edited:
White folk back home in Louisiana treat "c**n ass" like it's the n-word. Some don't like it, but others treat it like a term of endearment.

Last edited:
You may need to get out more often. White folks have been using the term "White Trash" to disparage their own since the days of slavery. Who do you think came up with the term "Redneck". It wasn't us. Neither of the aforementioned terms in their original form were meant to be complementary. Hell, White Trash still isn't today. But Jeff Foxworthey, a comedian, got rich practically overnight using redneck jokes and I've NEVER heard anyone complain about it.

In fact, those jokes became so popular, some people actually took pride in calling themselves rednecks.

I have spent all of my adult life observing and studying American culture. It concerns me with the direction of our national discourse. I stand by my remarks.

Some of y'all just don't see it, but other ethnicities have used slurs directed toward them in movies and what not.

If you think that's bad, just think about biracial children in Asian culture.

So true. Koreans hate Japanese and call them hateful names.

Some of y'all just don't see it, but other ethnicities have used slurs directed toward them in movies and what not.

If you think that's bad, just think about biracial children in Asian culture.

I have spent all of my adult life observing and studying American culture. It concerns me with the direction of our national discourse. I stand by my remarks.

Naw, J C., it's all good. I'm not trying to change your viewpoint. I respect the views and reasons of those who feel the "N-word" shouldn't be use. I just take issue with the thought of some who think that no other race of people use disparaging words against their own...as if it's just us who do so. That's just FACTUALLY incorrect.

Naw, J C., it's all good. I'm not trying to change your viewpoint. I respect the views and reasons of those who feel the "N-word" shouldn't be use. I just take issue with the thought of some who think that no other race of people use disparaging words against their own...as if it's just us who do so. That's just FACTUALLY incorrect.
Kenn, thanks. it's never personal with me. I enjoy the discussion.

. . . I respect the views and reasons of those who feel the "N-word" shouldn't be use. I just take issue with the thought of some who think that no other race of people use disparaging words against their own...as if it's just us who do so. That's just FACTUALLY incorrect.

Kenn,

What you have to realize is that no other race of people have the history in the United States that black people do.

That's the difference.

Other races can say (and get away with) a lot of things that we as blacks can't. Other races can afford to disparge their own race. Blacks cannot. I think that's what JC is alluding to.

Does anybody here really think that a white person calling another white person a redneck on national tv is the same as a black person calling another black person the N-Word on national tv?

Really?

And the President of the United States, no less . . .

SMH at all of y'all . . .

Last edited:
Back