Larry Wilmore WHCD

I was with him until the end when he said my Nig. Totally inappropriate!

Wilmore was more nauseating than he was funny, Obama was better. Seth Meyers was the absolute best in 2011.

I agree with bernard, Seth Myers was fantastic in 2011. Wilmore was below average. I also agree with JC that using the "N" word was absolutely, totally, and completely inappropriate . . .

Wasn't funny at all to me.

OFF TOPIC!!!!

Maybe it's just me, but Larry Wilmore looks like an old, plump, broke version of LL Cool J.

LMAO at telling Wolf Blitzer that the winner is anyone who wasn't watching his show.

Lol at him burning MSNBC tough too. They didn't like that Brian Williams potshot either.

Wilmore wasn't the funniest of all time, but he did have some funny moments. However, part of me wants to think that Wilmore wasn't trying to be funny as much as he was just trying to - as the youngsters like to say - keeping it 100. Some of what what he said may not have been funny, but it sure as hell was true.

As for the way he ended his speech, I personally wouldn't have done it, but I didn't have a problem with him doing it either. I understand the context in which it was meant.

Kenn, there is no proper context to use the "N" word in referring to the President of The United States. Especially not in public.

CEE,

The current President isn't anyone's "nikker" . . . and I really don't know what you mean by "those who get above themselves", but I do find that word to be offensive, unless its being used behind closed doors among others who are not bothered by the word . . . by the way, you say the President is your "nikker" . . . are you someone's "nikker"? Just askin' . . . not trying to start a debate . . .

Reactions: J C
If Obama, who I think understood the setting and context was cool with it (which it appeared) then, there shouldn't be a problem.

I don't get mad about a word. The president is my nikker. In the context dude used the word it was not typical. He made a point.
CEE,

The current President isn't anyone's "nikker" . . . and I really don't know what you mean by "those who get above themselves", but I do find that word to be offensive, unless its being used behind closed doors among others who are not bothered by the word . . . by the way, you say the President is your "nikker" . . . are you someone's "nikker"? Just askin' . . . not trying to start a debate . . .

Kendrick,

First of all, what was Obama to do? I don't know if that joke had been cleared in advance by the White House (I doubt it), or if it was a surprise to him. To me he looked slightly surprised and bothered by it, but did a good job of not making an issue of it.

Secondly, if Obama was ok with it or not is not the issue. What if Obama is ok with Donald Trump calling him the "N" word? Does that make it alright? There are some issues that we as a people must take up. We can't leave it to each individual. I believe that this is one of those issues . . .

Reactions: J C

Why do black people worry about white slave master and their opinions so bad? Stop looking for acceptance from these pilgrims. At some point black people gotta stop being so sensitive. Hell it's just like Dr.King. we try to act like he wasn't a man ho. I wouldn't doubt if King left kids all over the country the way he was knocking skirts off. Still doesn't take away the great things he did. He just had skirt problems.

Why do black people worry about white slave master and their opinions so bad? Stop looking for acceptance from these pilgrims. At some point black people gotta stop being so sensitive. Hell it's just like Dr.King. we try to act like he wasn't a man ho. I wouldn't doubt if King left kids all over the country the way he was knocking skirts off. Still doesn't take away the great things he did. He just had skirt problems.

ahhhh . . . nevermind.

Man, I loved it, every second of it. He stuck it to the media.

I was down for every word Larry said. it wasn't like those things were said before.
Don't really think he was going for the laughs, and I was there for that.

People forget he was a writer for In Living Color before helping create Eddie Murphy's PJs and The Bernie Mac show. He's also an executive producer for Black-ish.

I will say this. I was not alive during an era where people were beaten and called the "n" word by others, so I will have to respect the elders feelings about the n word. Sometimes, I forget about the generational gap and that I was fortunate enough to never experience a few things.

Kendrick,

First of all, what was Obama to do? I don't know if that joke had been cleared in advance by the White House (I doubt it), or if it was a surprise to him. To me he looked slightly surprised and bothered by it, but did a good job of not making an issue of it.

Secondly, if Obama was ok with it or not is not the issue. What if Obama is ok with Donald Trump calling him the "N" word? Does that make it alright? There are some issues that we as a people must take up. We can't leave it to each individual. I believe that this is one of those issues . . .

You said you weren't trying to start a debate, though.

I
Kenn, there is no proper context to use the "N" word in referring to the President of The United States. Especially not in public.

In my line of work, context is everything. And giving how Wilmore setup that final comment, I understood the point he was making. He was NOT being disrespectful to the President.

Kenn,

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm sure Wilmore was not intentionally being disrespectful to the President, but some things that one does or says are disrespectful by their very nature.

If you wanna be technical here since the N word sparked this off. If you call the president Obama, that's lightweight disrespectful as well since he is the President of the US. In the context in which it was used, there was nothing wrong with it. It made some uncomfortable simply because of the setting it was used and most in the room couldn't use it so that's why there is an issue

Deuce, It appears to be a generational thing and the N word is acceptable to them.

Back