Wizards suspend Brown for rest of playoffs

• Thread starter Thread starter EB
  • Start date Start date

EB

Wizards suspend Brown for rest of playoffshttp://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3589258
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Kwame Brown joined the Washington Wizards to much fanfare as the first high school player chosen No. 1 overall in the NBA draft. Now it appears likely he'll leave the team in disgrace, suspended on Tuesday for the rest of playoffs.

The Wizards told Brown he was no longer welcome, leaving him behind as they flew to Chicago for Wednesday's Game 5 of their first-round series against the Bulls.

"We had some philosophical differences," president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld said.

Brown is in the final year of his contract and hoped to have the type of breakthrough season that would net a huge payoff this summer. He played just four minutes in Saturday night's Game 3, then didn't attend Sunday's practice or Monday's Game 4 victory. The team had said he was absent because of a stomach virus.

I can't say that I'm surprised at this move. Kwame has shown flashes of being a good player, but he wasn't consistant, he's a crybaby, and basically a fish out of water.

I think this was the wrong city for him to begin his NBA career, being a country boy from the south, this city was to fast for him, and the media stayed on him.

From day 1 he's been in trouble, The Washington Post did an article on him during his rookie season, and this kid couldn't even take his clothes to the cleaners, the only thing he ate was Popeye's, and he used to sit on the bench and cry at practice. The article went a little deeper but just to read 2 pages of what the kid was going through, was almost pathetic.

I think a city in a smaller market, without the media pressure will do him fine, he also needs to stay his arse out the clubs. From the looks of it, he took partying more serious then playing ball.

I wish him well, but my Wizards have a series to win.

NICE

Well his team will be joining him for the offseason real soon, Come on Baby Bulls!

D-NICE said:
From day 1 he's been in trouble, The Washington Post did an article on him during his rookie season, and this kid couldn't even take his clothes to the cleaners, the only thing he ate was Popeye's, and he used to sit on the bench and cry at practice. The article went a little deeper but just to read 2 pages of what the kid was going through, was almost pathetic.

I think a city in a smaller market, without the media pressure will do him fine, he also needs to stay his arse out the clubs. From the looks of it, he took partying more serious then playing ball.

NICE

I saw that article.

The other players and the Wizzards didn't even know this kid was living like this. Typical 18, 19 year old..................WITH MONEY IN THIS CASE.

Kid couldn't cook, clean or anything. Ate fast food every meal for the first 1st year. Said when he ran out of clothes to wear, he just bought more.

This kid was not prepared to live on his own no matter where he ended up. He could have been in Memphis. He just was not prepared on the BASICS OF LIFE.

staggalee83 said:
Kid couldn't cook, clean or anything. Ate fast food every meal for the first 1st year. Said when he ran out of clothes to wear, he just bought more.

This kid was not prepared to live on his own no matter where he ended up. He could have been in Memphis. He just was not prepared on the BASICS OF LIFE.

Yeah stagga, he was bad off. A combined effort between the agent, and the Wizards assinged a former NBA player to help him out. Dude had a room full of dirty clothes, and didn't know what to do with them.

After I saw the article, I thought Popeye's was going to give him an endorsement deal, because he said he ate there everyday. Man, I can't imagine myself living off of fast food, let alone fried chicken everyday. I'm a chicken man, but dayum.

The sad thing about him though is, he's gotten worse. He has't progressed at all, again he shows flashes, but it's not every game. However, he's a free agent, and somebody is going to pay him a schit load of money in late June, because he's 7'0 270 lbs, and he's 23.

I just hope his next coach doesn't scream at him for being late, or not showing up, because he's going to sit down on the bench, and cry, and fake injuries.

NICE

jag4life said:
Where was his mother?

j4l, if I'm not mistakened she was back in South Carolina, or Georgia (wherever he's from), with his 12, or 13 other siblings. He's from a big family, and his mother was a single parent. I don't know where he fit on the family tree, but I remember her saying that she didn't want to move here, and she had other things to take care of at home.

NICE

D-NICE said:
j4l, if I'm not mistakened she was back in South Carolina, or Georgia (wherever he's from), with his 12, or 13 other siblings. He's from a big family, and his mother was a single parent. I don't know where he fit on the family tree, but I remember her saying that she didn't want to move here, and she had other things to take care of at home.

NICE

Brown is from Savannah, Ga if I am not mistaken. Sounded like his Mom didn't want to move and had other kids to raise.

Brown reminds me of Marcus Dupree who went from Philadelphia, Ms to Oklahoma and couldn't cut it. Both are big babies who had talent but have no intestinal fortitude to get through trying or hard times. We can say it is because kids like that are from the country, but how many who have been from the country made it and had no transition issues. I think it was the fact he was from the country and he didn't go to college for the exposure and just jumped into a man's world called the NBA.

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
that is pretty messed up, dude looking like he bout to be one of the biggests busts in NBA history.

I don't know about that just yet. Right now he is already been better than former overall number 1 pick Michael Olawakandi that plays here for my Wolves. He just plain sucks. At least Brown at 23 still has some upside if he can get with the right organization and grows up some more.

Mississippi has had alot of athletes like that

smh @ Dontae Walker

LOL, yeah we have had our share. But the SIP has also had more success stories than bad ones. Most of the time our kids seem to be able to handle it.

Anybody know how Qyntel Woods is doing? Is he still in Portland? I know he was struggling on and off the court.

JR said:
LOL, yeah we have had our share. But the SIP has also had more success stories than bad ones. Most of the time our kids seem to be able to handle it.

Anybody know how Qyntel Woods is doing? Is he still in Portland? I know he was struggling on and off the court.

Man the Trailblazers BEEN released that man. Miami picked him up, but I don't know what he doing now.

Jackie Butler, Travis Outlaw, Jonathan Bender????

D-NICE said:

NICE

All that money he got paid. They all could have moved to D.C. with no problem. Poor boy.

Man the Trailblazers BEEN released that man. Miami picked him up, but I don't know what he doing now.

Jackie Butler, Travis Outlaw, Jonathan Bender????

I think Bender is still with Indiana isn't he? Butler and Outlaw probably should have not came to the NBA when they did. Looks like the Jefferson kid is doing okay in Boston.

I kind of figured Woods would be gone in Portland. Didn't he get caught up with some weed or something while he was there?

JR said:
I don't know about that just yet. Right now he is already been better than former overall number 1 pick Michael Olawakandi that plays here for my Wolves. He just plain sucks. At least Brown at 23 still has some upside if he can get with the right organization and grows up some more.

Um..yeah right..at least Olawakandi has been a HALF of a factor in the games he played.... The only way Kwame Brown improved was in my franchise mode on NBA Live 2005...

This dude has put a face to Commissioner Stern's push for the 20-year-old age limit for the NBA draft...I wonder who the Wizards wished they coulda had..I blame the Wizards talent evaluators for that waste of 9 million over 3 years

http://www.nba.com/draft2001/draft_board.html?nav=TextNavBar

Oops...they passed up on Pau Gasol, Eddy Curry, Jason Richardson, Shane Battier, Joe Johnson, Radmnovich from Seattle, Richard freakin' Jefferson, Zach Randolph, Dalembert from the 76ers, Jamaal Tinsley..and Tony Parker..

And those just the first-round guys...

Gilbert Arenas was picked in the second round that year

JR said:
Brown is from Savannah, Ga if I am not mistaken. Sounded like his Mom didn't want to move and had other kids to raise.

With all them kids, by the time they got moved and in school, the NBA season would have been over.

Brown reminds me of Marcus Dupree who went from Philadelphia, Ms to Oklahoma and couldn't cut it. Both are big babies who had talent but have no intestinal fortitude to get through trying or hard times. We can say it is because kids like that are from the country, but how many who have been from the country made it and had no transition issues. I think it was the fact he was from the country and he didn't go to college for the exposure and just jumped into a man's world called the NBA.

I get mad everytime I picture Marcus DuPree's first 3 touches at OKLAHOMA. All three were touchdown runs over 70 yards down the sideline. He did this for 3 weeks and then all of a sudden, report's in Mississippi start's comming out that this nut left the school.

Career could have been hellified.
But I guess the good thing about it is he didn't end up broke. He ain't hurting.

You can't blame the way he handled his situation on being from the country. Kevin Garnett went from Mauldin S.C. to Chicago his senior year in H.S.. All he knew was Ronnie Fields and his coach. Believe me, they were not in the best of neighborhoods either. His mother had to move back to S.C. and he was left on his own. I knew the details but when I saw his "Beyond The Glory" the seriousness of his situation really sunk in. Its just up to that induvidual what actions they decide to take. But I will admit that going from Savannah to D.C. does take an adjustment that requires some support.

JR said:
I think Bender is still with Indiana isn't he? Butler and Outlaw probably should have not came to the NBA when they did. Looks like the Jefferson kid is doing okay in Boston.

I kind of figured Woods would be gone in Portland. Didn't he get caught up with some weed or something while he was there?

I think Bender is with the Hawks.

True .................you can't blame it on being from the country.

Eric Dampier, Lindsey Hunter, Jonathan Bender, Travis Outlaw, Antonia McDyess, Lorenzin Wright and others all came from the country ................MISSISSIPPI.

They adjusted well to their cities and lifestyles.
Heck, Dampier went from LAWERANCE County to San Fran. You know that got to be a culture shock.

Journalist said:
Jason Richardson, Zach Randolph
And those just the first-round guys...

Naw man, you can't count these two from the Big Ten in your example. Some folks on this board said they wasn't sh@t! :lmao:

I am sorry, but that is just p*ss poor home training. Most kids (well many) got to college and have to live on thier own. When I was 18, I could do all of that because my parent made me do it all growing up, wash, clean, cook, etc. that just being raised right.

As far as going to a smaller city, please, ain't no NBA franshize in no country towns. If you just ain't got no training and your head ain't right, then it just ain't right. He needed to go to college first, period. He was not ready for the pros.

Back