Williams expected to bypass (Georgia) Bulldogs

Richard Hendrix is the most impressive high school player I have ever seen in person. He broke the state record this year in rebounds and blocked shots and almost hit the 3,000 mark in career points. He had 7 QUADRUPLE doubles (points, assist, rebounds, blocked shots) this year. He also led his team in 3 point shots this season.. He is 6'9 250 pounds of PURE MUSCLE. He is ranked the #5 player in the nation and the #2 power foward in the nation.

Athns-Btlr-Men_9822.jpg

RICHARDHENDRIX3200.JPG

DAHILL said:
these rankings dont go by high school games... you RARELY see any of these folks ESPECIALLY with rivals.com at high school games. They come from AAU summer league games.

That is true. But there were NBA scouts from over 20 teams at their head to head matchup. Jerry West himself was in Jackson, in the stands. The consensus was that Ellis was the better of the two hands down.

These scouts have also been at the McDonald's games practices. Ellis has been the best player there according to scouts and his teammates. This is what Bob Gibbons had to say about him in the Clarion Ledger.

"They go through the drills and fundamentals, so you really get more of a feel for the player's abilities than you do in an up-and-down, run-and-gun style game," said Bob Gibbons, a national recruiting analyst who helps select the 24 McDonald's All-Americans. "It's unfortunate, but the game hasn't been very competitive in recent years."

For Ellis, who is contemplating whether to attend Mississippi State or enter the NBA draft, the last three days apparently have done nothing to lower his stock. Gibbons said he's hearing Ellis ? who was particularly impressive in Tuesday morning's 2-hour practice ? could be the first high school player picked should he declare for the June 28 draft."

An assistant GM didn't go as far, but did say this.

'"I don't want to nitpick and say where exactly he'd fall, but he's definitely in the upper-echelon here," the assistant GM said. "One of the nice things about Monta is that he is a very steady player. He seems like he's a steady kid. There's a predictability about him, which is rare for a high school guy. He kind of plays the same way every time he steps on the floor."'

This is what the McDonald's West coach had to say.

'"Monta's done an excellent job of fitting in well with the team. In doing that, he's shown the scouts what they want to see," said West coach Al Rhodes of Logansport, Ind."

Finally this is what a teammate had to say,

"Monta's tough," said West forward Jon Brockman of Snohomish, Wash. "He's dangerous from everywhere. The first day you could kind of tell that he had some nice tools, but he's not shooting it every single time. He's getting other people good shots, too.

"Everyone (among the McDonald All-Americans) is talking who's going to go (into the NBA draft) because so many went last year. People are saying Monta could go if he wants to do it. I think he's ready. He's just at a different level."

All of this is coming from people who are there. Nobody is mentioning Louis Williams as standing out among the players there. Most current mock drafts say he is delusional thinking he will be a top five or even a lottery pick. Dude is good, very good, but I think he may be drinking his own hype juice. He better go to Georgia.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DAHILL said:
Richard Hendrix is the most impressive high school player I have ever seen in person. He broke the state record this year in rebounds and blocked shots and almost hit the 3,000 mark in career points. He had 7 QUADRUPLE doubles (points, assist, rebounds, blocked shots) this year. He also led his team in 3 point shots this season.. He is 6'9 250 pounds of PURE MUSCLE. He is ranked the #5 player in the nation and the #2 power foward in the nation.
Athns-Btlr-Men_9741.jpg

Athns-Btlr-Men_9822.jpg

RICHARDHENDRIX3200.JPG

He definitely has the body of an NBA power forward. That's a big boy.

jaydog said:
Here is some more info from about the McDonald's game from ESPN. They say that all of them may need to go to school for a while, Ellis and Williams included.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=2025505&CMP=ILC-INHEAD

The only reason I think someone should go straight to the NBA is if they are from the GHETTO and mother/family has very unsafe living conditions.

With Hendrix... he is from Athens, Alabama (about 15 minutes from Huntsville).... I have been to his house before... they have a HUGE house in a brand new neighiborhood, he has a full court basketball court at his house with painted lines. Everyone in the family has a NICE car (I believe its 3 new body style Cadillacs)... both parents graduted from college, AND he has a 3.6 GPA.... so he really doesnt have a reason to want to be so eager to go to the NBA. His dad was his high school coach and I think he is the one putting pressure on him to skip college for some reason. Richard says if he does real well in 3 upcoming All Star games and is a guaranteed Lottery pick he will skip college. As much as I HATE UA (he picked ALabama over NC and Duke because most of his family including sisters went to UA)... i hope he goes to college.

DAHILL said:
The only reason I think someone should go straight to the NBA is if they are from the GHETTO and mother/family has very unsafe living conditions.

With Hendrix... he is from Athens, Alabama (about 15 minutes from Huntsville).... I have been to his house before... they have a HUGE house in a brand new neighiborhood, he has a full court basketball court at his house with painted lines. Everyone in the family has a NICE car (I believe its 3 new body style Cadillacs)... both parents graduted from college, AND he has a 3.6 GPA.... so he really doesnt have a reason to want to be so eager to go to the NBA. His dad was his high school coach and I think he is the one putting pressure on him to skip college for some reason. Richard says if he does real well in 3 upcoming All Star games and is a guaranteed Lottery pick he will skip college. As much as I HATE UA (he picked ALabama over NC and Duke because most of his family including sisters went to UA)... i hope he goes to college.

In some families graduating from college ain't ****. It's expected. Everybody goes to college and most graduate. Not everybody gets a chance to be a lottery pick and a millionaire. I guess pops said a million dollars can guarantee you can see college education if you want to go. A college education ain't go guarantee your azz will see a million dollars even with a degree.

jaydog said:
That is true. But there were NBA scouts from over 20 teams at their head to head matchup. Jerry West himself was in Jackson, in the stands. The consensus was that Ellis was the better of the two hands down.

These scouts have also been at the McDonald's games practices. Ellis has been the best player there according to scouts and his teammates. This is what Bob Gibbons had to say about him in the Clarion Ledger.

"They go through the drills and fundamentals, so you really get more of a feel for the player's abilities than you do in an up-and-down, run-and-gun style game," said Bob Gibbons, a national recruiting analyst who helps select the 24 McDonald's All-Americans. "It's unfortunate, but the game hasn't been very competitive in recent years."

For Ellis, who is contemplating whether to attend Mississippi State or enter the NBA draft, the last three days apparently have done nothing to lower his stock. Gibbons said he's hearing Ellis ? who was particularly impressive in Tuesday morning's 2-hour practice ? could be the first high school player picked should he declare for the June 28 draft."

An assistant GM didn't go as far, but did say this.

'"I don't want to nitpick and say where exactly he'd fall, but he's definitely in the upper-echelon here," the assistant GM said. "One of the nice things about Monta is that he is a very steady player. He seems like he's a steady kid. There's a predictability about him, which is rare for a high school guy. He kind of plays the same way every time he steps on the floor."'

This is what the McDonald's West coach had to say.

'"Monta's done an excellent job of fitting in well with the team. In doing that, he's shown the scouts what they want to see," said West coach Al Rhodes of Logansport, Ind."

Finally this is what a teammate had to say,

"Monta's tough," said West forward Jon Brockman of Snohomish, Wash. "He's dangerous from everywhere. The first day you could kind of tell that he had some nice tools, but he's not shooting it every single time. He's getting other people good shots, too.

"Everyone (among the McDonald All-Americans) is talking who's going to go (into the NBA draft) because so many went last year. People are saying Monta could go if he wants to do it. I think he's ready. He's just at a different level."

All of this is coming from people who are there. Nobody is mentioning Louis Williams as standing out among the players there. Most current mock drafts say he is delusional thinking he will be a top five or even a lottery pick. Dude is good, very good, but I think he may be drinking his own hype juice. He better go to Georgia.

Maybe they are not mentioning anything about Williams because they are only talking to the West coaches and players for this article.

jag4life said:
Maybe they are not mentioning anything about Williams because they are only talking to the West coaches and players for this article.

I wasn't just talking about this article. I was talking about on all sites and articles that I've seen. I cited this article to show what scouts, coaches, and teammates that are there have said about him specifically. Not much has been said about Williams on the East squad commentary. I work with a bunch of MS State boys and you best believe they are watching every site and article they can find about the McDonald's game. We've been scouring every mock draft and article we could find over the past week or so. Every article makes them sadder and sadder. :lmao:

Hendrix just won 1st place along with a young lady from Arizona in the team ball competition. At 6'9 he can SHOOT.

DAHILL said:

Dahill, my nephew is engaged to his sister. She says he's going to Alabama.

J C said:
Dahill, my nephew is engaged to his sister. She says he's going to Alabama.

small world.... she is an Alabama graduate also and said to be a major influence on why he chose UA over UNC.

Exactly, Christine is great young lady and comes from a good family. The thing that concerns Richard and his Dad is the age restriction the NBA will impose after this year. They are not hurting for money. :alicia:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DAHILL said:
I disagree totally. If the NBA is willing to pay million$ to these kids, I shole don't blame the kids for going, whether they are from the "ghetto" or not.

mighty hornet said:
I disagree totally. If the NBA is willing to pay million$ to these kids, I shole don't blame the kids for going, whether they are from the "ghetto" or not.

Lottery picks... you are DAMN RIGHT.... but if you cant be a guaranteed lottery pick I would say go to school. When I say go to college, I mean to better your skills. Academic wise, your freshman year of college is nothing but a repeat of your senior year in high school.

jag4life said:
Gerald Green is looking good.

I agree. He looked the most NBA ready if just judging by this game. Louis Williams did pretty good. He showed that explosiveness. Big Hendrix didn't play all that much, but you can see what type of wide body he is. Monta struggled shooting, settling for too many jump shots, which was way off. He didn't start scoring at all until he started driving at the end of the game. Based on that game alone I would say Green is the most ready to go the the NBA. McRoberts going to Duke is going to be a player.

jaydog said:
I agree. He looked the most NBA ready if just judging by this game. Louis Williams did pretty good. He showed that explosiveness. Big Hendrix didn't play all that much, but you can see what type of wide body he is. Monta struggled shooting, settling for too many jump shots, which was way off. He didn't start scoring at all until he started driving at the end of the game. Based on that game alone I would say Green is the most ready to go the the NBA. McRoberts going to Duke is going to be a player.

IMO the game is a game for guards..... almost every shot was a 3 point shot. To get big men involved they need to change the rules and only count 3 point shots the last 7 minutes of each half.

That little white guard for the East (Perlous) or something like that impressed me. I like his handles and ability to hit free throws. That Wright kid has some nice hops and pretty explosive for a tall HS kid.

DAHILL said:
IMO the game is a game for guards..... almost every shot was a 3 point shot. To get big men involved they need to change the rules and only count 3 point shots the last 7 minutes of each half.

Dwight Howard dominated the game last year.

I said from the jump that I thought Monta should go to school even before that game. He can't do anythong but get bigger, stronger, and smarter. If u just got to go, do a Carmelo and go a year.

Mississippi State has to have some of the worst luck, just think about it they could have been dominating the SEC

Jonathan Bender
Travis Outlaw
Jackie Butler
I know I'm missing somebody else.

combined with Mario Austin and Lawrence Roberts, State would have been killing folks.

Back