Will we ever be viewed as Amrican's and not BLACK Americans

jelli

Music Lover
Will America ever get to the point of seeing people and not race?
Its on every application you fill out, "Color? Sex?"
Do you think that this just keeps us devided?

Where else in this world is race an issue?:confused:

Just some things I was pondering...:

why do we call ourselves african-americans, when white people dont call themselves european-americans?

Why have labels

Better yet, why do we have to have labels at all? Are we really African Americans? How many of us "Black Folks", know anything about Africa?

I think race and sex are always an issue. Just a bigger issue in some places more than others. As for labels, they don't really matter. I don't know about you guys but I can't tell a Jew from an average White person just by looking at them or a Jamaican from me for that matter... I understand retaining your heritage, but how many of us actually know what that is?

As long as I have my 20/20 vision, I will always see a person's color or gender. That's given, the problem is created when I can't get passed that. When someone looks at me, I want them to see an African-American woman or woman of color because there is a mystery present. We will always be black, white, brown, male, female, etc. If that is preventing me from getting a house in a good neighborhood, a loan, a good job, then that's the problem.

Excellent question Bengal E. (I know why your blood is blue :D ) We all can go back in history so far. We don't exactly know the entire story. If we are going to be Americans, then do we put our "mystery" history behind and move on?

Are we African Americans or just Americans? Do cubians called to darker skinned cubian something other than cubians? Do mexicans called the darker skinned mexicans something other than mexican? My point is when will we be just americans and not african-americans or blacks? When will we get past this separative way of thinking and just co-exist?

There is such a double standard in america when it comes to race. Why is it that a black comedian can make jokes about white folks all day long, but let a white comedian make jokes about black folks. People will be calling him/her racist and trying to bar them from the TV.:rolleyes:

True Jelli. I personally don't have a problem with the white comedian, because we do it all of the time. I just hate it when a white comedian is presenting to a black audience and feels he has to make jokes about the white race to fit in...just tell the #$%@ jokes...but I digress. As long as we are in America; The Land of the Free and I do use the term "free" loosely, I don't think we will ever co-exist. There will always be a black and white and brown and yellow and male and female, etc. Aren't the Mexicans broken up anyway...I never understood...Latino, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans...
ne_nau.gif

Well now you can't lump Puerto Ricans with Mexicans(two different countries) no more than you can lump Chinese people with Japanese people. Just like you can't lump African americans with Africans.

LOL...I know Jelli, some will get fighting mad if your refer them as another. Since I don't have the full understanding of the history, I don't attempt to do it. I forgot about the Chicanos (sp), who are they?

After ALL we've done...

for this country, if it hasn't been done yet it will not be done. Others must make themselves feel better than us because they know that we are THE ORIGINAL PEOPLE! WE CAN NOT BE DEFINED BY ANY LANDMASS! ANYWHERE YOU GO ON THIS EARTH WE WERE THERE BEFORE ANY OF THE OTHERS! WE WERE BEFORE AFRICA AND AMERICA!

I have given up that moniker "African-American" I am a Black American. Furthermore, I'm just plain old black. Other races will always view us as being BLACK Personally, I don't need to have exceptance from other races as being this or that. As long as I get a fair shake and I'm able to provide for me and my family...that's all that matters.

I'm not sure if my decendants are from Africa or not...just because I watched Roots 50 million times doesn't mean that my ancestors were dragged over here on that boat. I think we should never forget how we've been disgraced. But since we're over here...DAMNIT let's take this b*tch over. F_ck em if they don't call you African American. Since you brought us over here...we're American. We're Black! SAY IT LOUD...I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD.

Okay...back to work now!!!

No more labels.

YEah but as long as we have these labels, black or white, then we will be devided and judged.:(

My .02

I am with you BluBlood. As long as we have sight, we will not be able to get over categorizing people. That is just a fact of life. The problem lies in whether or not that categorization becomes something negative or discriminatory. People have a natural tendency to categorize or stereotype so that they can feel comfortable in their assumption about a person they don't know, and hence can act accordingly in their presence. We all do it...... it's natural to put on a certain "face" when in the presence of a man, woman, Black, White, handicapped, etc. So..... I think the answer to Jelli's original questions is no.... but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Now, will racism ever end? Will sexism ever end? God, I hope so. Put for it to even get a jump start, I think we (yes, BLACKS) need to stop looking back and blaming and being bitter and mad at YT (Whitey) for what happened to us in this country. Personally, I think that song and dance is worn out and it's a "blame game" and not something that forces us to deal with our Black issues and move forward. I know folks that post on these boards that are just as racist (if not more) than YT. And it saddens me to read some things that are posted and think to myself, "wow, we talk about racist YT all dang day, and yet he/she is going to be teaching their child that mentality". Here is my bottom line..... Black is beautiful, being a woman is beautiful, and I am sure that any other race of person or sex of person would say the same for themselves. Discrimination is ugly. Racism is not cute. That is what needs to end... not a category box on a form.... the mentality of ALL of us.

Damn the man

We won't ever get over labels! We need to be proud of our label and become self reliant. We always go around hoping someone will quit doing this or quit doing that. I'll be happy to see the day that we start demanding self respect. The only thing we can control is our own image. 400 years ago people would think and naturally think slave. 70 years ago people would see black and think sambo. Now it's up to our generation for outsiders to see black and say who are those gods.

We call ourselves Black in everything we do....Black Entertainment, Ms. Black America, the first Black to do this, the first Black to do that...That will not change. White people don't call themselves European Americans because they are the Majority. Anything that is a Minority is identified differently. Like a White Tiger. No one says, look at that orange an black tiger. Now White or Orange, we know them both to be tigers of equal danger, and that is what's important.

Originally posted by BluBlood
As long as I have my 20/20 vision, I will always see a person's color or gender. That's given, the problem is created when I can't get passed that. When someone looks at me, I want them to see an African-American woman or woman of color because there is a mystery present. We will always be black, white, brown, male, female, etc. If that is preventing me from getting a house in a good neighborhood, a loan, a good job, then that's the problem.

I couldn't have stated it any better myself, nor could anyone else I don't think.

YEP....

Originally posted by ByronW
We call ourselves Black in everything we do....Black Entertainment, Ms. Black America, the first Black to do this, the first Black to do that...That will not change. White people don't call themselves European Americans because they are the Majority. Anything that is a Minority is identified differently. Like a White Tiger. No one says, look at that orange an black tiger. Now White or Orange, we know them both to be tigers of equal danger, and that is what's important.

Our azzes were born black and we gone die black......period.

I don't really give a hoot about labels and how da man sees me...the hell with em.

:rolleyes:

Back