Why rent? To get richer

Blacknbengal

Why rent? To get richer

A contrarian's view: Houses don't appreciate any faster than the level of inflation over the long term, so forget about buying a home and put your savings into stocks.

I normally write about stocks for SmartMoney.com, but the boss asked me to explain to readers my reason for renting. Here goes: Businesses are great investments while houses are poor ones, so I'd rather rent the latter and own the former.

Stocks versus houses: Returns
Shares of businesses return 7% a year over long periods. I'm subtracting for inflation, gradual price increases for everything from a can of beer to an ear exam. (After-inflation, or "real," returns are the only ones that matter. The point of increasing wealth is to increase buying power, not numbers on an account statement.)

Shares have been remarkably consistent over the past two centuries in their 7% real returns. In Jeremy Siegel's book "Stocks for the Long Run," he finds that real returns averaged 7% over nearly seven decades ending in 1870, then 6.6% through 1925 and then 6.9% through 2004.

The average real return for houses over long periods might surprise you: It's virtually zero.

Shares return 7% a year after inflation because that's how fast companies tend to increase their profits. Houses have their own version of profits: rents. Tenant-occupied houses generate actual rents, while owner-occupied houses generate ones that are implied but no less real: the rents their owners don't have to pay each year.

House prices and rents have been closely linked throughout history, with both increasing at the rate of inflation, or about 3% a year since 1900. A house, after all, is an ordinary good. It can't think up ways to drive profits like a company's managers can. Absent artificial boosts to demand, house prices will increase over long periods at the rate of inflation, for a real return of zero.

Rest of Story

Faulty reasoning on so many levels. This article totally ignores building equity in a home. If you consider equity and appreciation, then a home is a much better option than buying stocks. Additionally, if you have the money to rent and buy stocks then why not buy a home and buy stocks. That way your home will appreciate while you build equity in it AND you get the benefit of the stock market.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'd rather buy a home than purchase stocks...the stock market is too fickle.

The author fails to mention the risk the casual investor takes when he buys stock. He makes it sound as though the stock market is a sure thing for everyone. Unless you got real money tied up in energy, pharmaceuticals, or Walmart :D (odds are you don't), there's no such thing as a sure thing.

The average Joe is gonna get enough of playing Russian roulette in a stock market based heavily on speculation and day-to-day confidence.

The author fails to mention the risk the casual investor takes when he buys stock. He makes it sound as though the stock market is a sure thing for everyone. Unless you got real money tied up in energy, pharmaceuticals, or Walmart :D (odds are you don't), there's no such thing as a sure thing.

The average Joe is gonna get enough of playing Russian roulette in a stock market based heavily on speculation and day-to-day confidence.

The best investments in my opinion are investments in GOLD and perhaps silver.
The more the dollar depreciates, the more valuable gold becomes.

The stock market is a house of cards supported by elmers glue.

Faulty reasoning on so many levels. This article totally ignores building equity in a home. If you consider equity and appreciation, then a home is a much better option than buying stocks. Additionally, if you have the money to rent and buy stocks then why not buy a home and buy stocks. That way your home will appreciate while you build equity in it AND you get the benefit of the stock market.

It's not faulty...it's pretty good read.

Think about this.....most people might pay $1000.00 for rent...ok

Then a 150,000 loan will hit you at $1000.00 per month. Now include the other cost like taxes,insurances, HOA, and whatever....you are already at $6600.00/12= $550 additional monthly cost.

So

Rent $1000.00
Buying $1000.00 plus $550.00 = $1550.00

Now this does not include utilites and other misc cost. Just the basic.

Plus...the stock market is risky unless you into the stocks mention above.

Now..take the extra $550.00 + and drop that into a 10 or 15 year mutual fund or a Money market account.

I don't play with those stocks....:uhoh:

Now county tax sales...:tup:
I remembered you mentioned something about those county tax sales before...I need to check into that.

Now, I do have some Wally World stock...I kept it, after I stopped working there. :nod:

Then a 150,000 loan will hit you at $1000.00 per month. Now include the other cost like taxes,insurances, HOA, and whatever....you are already at $6600.00/12= $550 additional monthly cost.

So

Rent $1000.00

Now..take the extra $550.00 + and drop that into a 10 or 15 year mutual fund or a Money market account.

You have just illustrated "HooDoo" economics. :lol: :emlaugh: Are you aware that homes appreciate? Do you realize that homes can appreciated thousands of dollars on yearly basis? If the home is worth $150,000 it is not unrealistic for it to appreciated at the rate of $10-15,000 or even more per year depending on the local..........

So

Rent $1000.00

If you didn't know, rent covers all the costs plus gives the owner some sort of profit off the rent.

Example $100,00 house.
Mortgage $500.00
Taxes/Insu $300.00
Maintenance $100.00
Vancancy Rate $150.00

Now, that totals $900 to own the house. Do you think the rent will be anything LESS that $900, plus a vacancy rate of $150.00? NO, an owner will rent that house for $1250 to $1400 per month.

Now, you factor in the tax benefits from owning a rental AND the appreciation AND the mortgage BUYDOWN that happens every time you pay the mortgage, and the monthly profit from rent receipts, you have a WINNER.

With stocks, you HOPE to sell to anybody who buys higher than you. Then the government wants some of that profit.

You have just illustrated "HooDoo" economics. :lol: :emlaugh: Are you aware that homes appreciate? Do you realize that homes can appreciated thousands of dollars on yearly basis? If the home is worth $150,000 it is not unrealistic for it to appreciated at the rate of $10-15,000 or even more per year depending on the local..........

If you didn't know, rent covers all the costs plus gives the owner some sort of profit off the rent.

Example $100,00 house.
Mortgage $500.00
Taxes/Insu $300.00
Maintenance $100.00
Vancancy Rate $150.00

Now, that totals $900 to own the house. Do you think the rent will be anything LESS that $900, plus a vacancy rate of $150.00? NO, an owner will rent that house for $1250 to $1400 per month.

Now, you factor in the tax benefits from owning a rental AND the appreciation AND the mortgage BUYDOWN that happens every time you pay the mortgage, and the monthly profit from rent receipts, you have a WINNER.

With stocks, you HOPE to sell to anybody who buys higher than you. Then the government wants some of that profit.

And I understand both points....

Are you aware that homes appreciate? and I have seen them deappreciate also

But let say you move into a new neighborhood! It take at least 5 years before you can begin to see some equity in your house.

Now let say you move into an older hood with some growth....you caught a break before the growth skyrocket.

Frat, what is vacancy rate?

Honestly, if you are single....you have a choice to make

And I understand both points....

Are you aware that homes appreciate? and I have seen them deappreciate also

But let say you move into a new neighborhood! It take at least 5 years before you can begin to see some equity in your house.

Now let say you move into an older hood with some growth....you caught a break before the growth skyrocket.

Frat, what is vacancy rate?

Honestly, if you are single....you have a choice to make

That is what the article talks about. If the home appreciate, then the rent goes up. If the home depreciate, then the rent goes down. Rent follows inflation.

Vacancy rate is basically the time an owner EXPECTS the rental unit to be UNOCCUPIED in a years time. Typically, an owner would allow room for the rental to be vacant 1.5 months out of the year.

This is why I'm a landlord!

I can create Income and Wealth. I'm luv'ing it

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I thought Delock was talking about renting an apartment and not a house?

I'd never rent a house unless I had a company paying for it.

That is what the article talks about. If the home appreciate, then the rent goes up. If the home depreciate, then the rent goes down. Rent follows inflation.

Rent does not follow the rate of inflation. I have NEVER lowered anybody's rent regardess of the current economic situation. I will either maintain it or raise it. I have a target of what I want to make a month and that is what guides me.

Rent does not follow the rate of inflation. I have NEVER lowered anybody's rent regardess of the current economic situation. I will either maintain it or raise it. I have a target of what I want to make a month and that is what guides me.

You are WRONG!!!

An apartment complex that was standing in 1995 could have collected $500 for a one bedroom. That same apartment complex in 2007 can demand $600 for that same one bedroom apartment. WHY? Because the cost of living in 2007 is more than it was in 1995, because of INFLATION.

I'm not saying a landlord will change his rent rate every month, but as the cost of living rises, so does the RENT.

I'm still at a lost as to why one would believe that RENTING is cheaper than buying, when RENTING simply covers the cost of what it takes to buy and maintain the property PLUS PROFIT.

O44DOG, do you RENT your property for an OVERLOSS? If not, then WHY NOT?

(If I can ask)....

...not necessarily. Maybe its just a phenomenon here but the price of homes in a new neighborhood can rise every year. You can basically get out of your house whatever a new construction or inventory home will grab....and probably easier since the buyer won't have to wait on construction.

My home in STL was out of the price range I wanted to buy in within 9 months of us buying it. My house in Houston just had a spike in appreciation this year. I doubt I could have match either of those rate in the stock market as easily.

The next thing you have to consider when talking about equity is that equity is simply how much you owe versus the price you can sell the house for. Equity is basically nothing but an OPINION. You may owe $100K on your house and it is worth $150K, but you could be in such a bind to sell the house, that you sell it for $120K. Therefore, your equity which was $50K on paper, was really $20K in reality.

Some people can build a house for $100K using their own contractors and once its completed, it could be worth $300K, therefore yielding them $200K in INSTANT EQUITY.

Still, its better to buy than rent unless you are like a military personnel who moves frequently.

My issue is the taxes paid on property in Houston. An extra $400-600/month just on that makes me not want to buy again.

My issue is the taxes paid on property in Houston. An extra $400-600/month just on that makes me not want to buy again.

Yeah, my sister pays like $1200 every two years for property taxes in Little Rock. However, she pays state taxes every year.

Well it kinda balanced out on the actual home prices vs STL for us. Tax was nothing there but the prices of the homes there were ridiculous as compared to Houston. For the same overall monthly payment you'll get a bigger house here though.

Yeah, my sister pays like $1200 every two years for property taxes in Little Rock. However, she pays state taxes every year.

BINGO....

I look at it like this...I'm single! until I get marry....there no use for me having a house.

I can leased a nice loft downtown and invest the money I pay in taxes,insurances and hoa into a nice mutal fund.

or

I can be black an buy me a 750il BMW :Lmao:

Back