Who's the best SWAC football player ever?

jag-illionaire

jag-illionaire/jagprince
With the names like Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Doug Williams, John Stallworth, and Steve McNair, who has been the best to come out of the SWAC playing on the field?:flamethro

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Croft84 said:
How can you judge best ever.:angel2:

Simple.

SWAC records.

If the question asks, 'who is the best SWAC football player', then I'd have to say Walter Payton.

If the questions intent is to ask 'who's the best FOOTBALL PLAYER that played in the SWAC, then I'd have to say Jerry Rice due to his stand-out SWAC credentials and his obvious NFL records which speak for themselves.

I would have to say Walter Payton, followed by Jerry Rice, John Stallworth, Everson Wall, Doug Williams, and Steve McNair.

isn't this like the one thousand, million, billionth thread about this subject..

it's very hard to say...

You have to look at all the guys from back in PV's heyday, a couple from TX southern...and maybe even before the SWAC became as we all knew it with the 8-team alignment.

So question: L.C. Greenwood is under consideration as well? I don't know if Pine Bluff was in the SWAC at the time Greenwood was there...

I'm not sure who the best was...but my favorites are Carlos Pennywell, Trumaine Johnson, Robert Parham, and Doug Williams.

If you would say Who's the best player ever in the SWAC Hall of Fame then John Stallworth would be considered officially.

However, you have to agree that the best SWAC Players are from the state of Alabama.

MightyDog said:
If you would say Who's the best player ever in the SWAC Hall of Fame then John Stallworth would be considered officially.

However, you have to agree that the best SWAC Players are from the state of Alabama.

Is he in the SWAC Hall of Fame? He's not according to the SWAC page.

jag-illionaire said:
With the names like Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Doug Williams, John Stallworth, and Steve McNair, who has been the best to come out of the SWAC playing on the field?:flamethro

L.C. Greenwood Arkansas-Pine Bluff/Arkansas A&M University

:uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: Walter Payton,Jerry Rice,Doug Williams, Steve McNair and the rest :shades:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
QB==> Doug Williams, GSU (Bucs, Skins)
FB==> Paul Tank Younger, GSU (Rams) SB HOF
RB==> Walter Payton, JSU (Bears) HOF
WR==> Jerry Rice, MSVU (49ers) HOF
OL===> Jackie Slater, JSU (Rams) HOF
DE==> Junious "Buck" Buchanan , GSU (Chiefs) HOF
DT==> Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, GSU (Chargers/49ers)
LB==> Robert Brazille JSU (Oilers)
DB==> Mel Blount,SU (Steelers) /Willie Brown, GSU (Raiders) HOF's
KR==>
ST==> Bennie Thompson, GSU (Baltimore Ravens)

Did Lem Barney return kicks while at JSU? I know he returned some in the pros.

Umm, no smack, but I can't see how anyone could neglect to list Steve McNair as their greatest QB. Especially the folks from Gram, being that Alcorn and Grambling were involved in several of the greatest games in SWAC history during his era.

Are we counting college and pro? That dude was on another planet in college.

MikeBigg said:
QB==> Doug Williams, GSU (Bucs, Skins)
FB==> Paul Tank Younger, GSU (Rams) SB HOF
RB==> Walter Payton, JSU (Bears) HOF
WR==> Jerry Rice, MSVU (49ers) HOF
OL===> Jackie Slater, JSU (Rams) HOF
DE==> Junious "Buck" Buchanan , GSU (Chiefs) HOF
DT==> Gary "Big Hands" Johnson, GSU (Chargers/49ers)
LB==> Robert Brazille JSU (Oilers)
DB==> Mel Blount,SU (Steelers) /Willie Brown, GSU (Raiders) HOF's
KR==>
ST==> Bennie Thompson, GSU (Baltimore Ravens)
what about Aneas Williams

Su'sdrummerboi said:
what about Aneas Williams

Aeneas would be an excellent choice. I just graded Blount and Brown above him...but that could be generational bias. Couldn't/Wouldn't object to Aeneas.

McNair was awesome and put up awesome numbers...but so did Bruce and he's definitely (not yet anyway) near Doug and McNair (IMO). Just like with Aeneas though, I couldn't/wouldn't squabble if McNair got the nod at qb.

This question is way to hard to answer......

My favorites in no particular order......Mel Blount, Doug Williams, Steve McNair, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton

Antroy said:
How could Doug Williams be considered ahead of Steve McNair, IN COLLEGE?!?!

I believe Doug faced far stiffer competition in college but I am not saying one is better than the other........I will let MB answer this question though as it was posed to him.

Antroy said:
How could Doug Williams be considered ahead of Steve McNair, IN COLLEGE?!?!
Doug dominated during his 4 years as starter... I think we lost a total of about 5 games. Beat Temple, University of Hawaii, Oregon State and was Division 1 First Team All-American. Selectig Doug was not a knock on McNair, it was simply me picking Doug. If others think McNair that's cool...really!:lmao: :lmao:

MikeBigg said:
Doug dominated during his 4 years as starter... I think we lost a total of about 5 games. Beat Temple, University of Hawaii, Oregon State and was Division 1 First Team All-American. Selectig Doug was not a knock on McNair, it was simply me picking Doug. If others think McNair that's cool...really!:lmao: :lmao:

It's a tough choice......a lot of the younger people forgot that Doug was a bad boy........and so was Air...

Back