Where did the song "neck" come from

Status
Not open for further replies.

The question of who played Neck first will never get a definitive answer. Anybody can come on here and say that they remember this band or that band playing it in '84. Then, the next person, who may or may not be telling the truth, could say they heard another band play it in '83.
Now, from what I'm looking at, the record that "Talkin Out the Side of Your Neck" is on didn't come out until '84. So if anybody is saying they played it in '83 or earlier is not telling the truth. This was way before computers, the internet, or bootlegging. They only way to get something then was to wait for it to come out.

The question of who played Neck first will never get a definitive answer. Anybody can come on here and say that they remember this band or that band playing it in '84. Then, the next person, who may or may not be telling the truth, could say they heard another band play it in '83.
Now, from what I'm looking at, the record that "Talkin Out the Side of Your Neck" is on didn't come out until '84. So if anybody is saying they played it in '83 or earlier is not telling the truth. This was way before computers, the internet, or bootlegging. They only way to get something then was to wait for it to come out.

Songs are released prior to the release of the album that they are on sometimes.

Neck should be put in retirement by all Black bands, high school and college like The Horse was in the early 70's. When the White bands start playing it it's time to let it go.

Antroy,
Being that I marched at SU and we traveled in 84 I can be almost certain that TxSU played it first in the SWAC. Now I can't say who else across the MEAC or SIAC or CIAA or whatever HBCU conference had a band play it first. It would make sense if Mo Brown played it first since they are in the ATL.

Also that album was released during the spring of my Senior year of HS. I remember we jamming to it on our Sr trip. So it is possible that the song got some airplay somewhere like Atlanta or a big city in Fall 83 if some DJ got a promo copy of the album from the record label, which I can see especially with Cameo and Blackmon being in the ATL. But I doubt that song got played everywhere because it was not the big song on the album. She's Strange was the cut that got released first before the album came out. That was the title track. The album was definitely on sale during the early spring of 84.

But no doubt about it, the Ocean unleashed it first in the SWAC. SU didn't even play it our Freshman year. Nobody else played it against us that year either. Not even Tn State who was known to have a book of music.

The single didn't come out until '84. From what I'm looking at online it didn't come out until 1984.

I'm not saying that you are wrong. I was making a statement that songs are released prior to the album that they are on. The song was recorded in 1983.

I echo JR...some of the better songs bands performed were deep into an album..not the title track....and modern tecnology then was an electronic keybord (a luxury item then) but it seemed the directors then put out better arrangements witith less equipment

That's why Michael Jackson amd EWF was so popular...song 1 to song 10 on an album was all unique and poppin' unlike stuff now where you barely can get 2 songs before hearing remixes and samples...

:xeye:

TXSU was the first to play it - 1983

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but this up here I had to reply to..... :lol:

Last edited:
I don't know when UAPB started playing "Neck"; I think we have a unique way of playing the song, but I admit I love the way the Human Jukebox plays it!:tup::clap:

I don't know who played it first or whatever. But I DO know that LSU wasn't the first band to play it...and they damn sure didn't "create" the song.

LOL "Create Neck"...what a silly thing to say...:lol:

Which school was the first to play it in the SWAC. My neighbor is from LSU and he swear up and down that LSU created the song....

I know he trying to claim something....but I need to bust his arse like Arkansas bust LSU.

I laughing at this shat.......:lol: ........LET ME LAUGH AGAIN. Next time you see your fool neighbor from LSU claiming that, kick them in the azz for me. :lmao:

I don't know who played it first, but JSU was playing that back when it came out in 1984. We also played "She's Strange" and "A Tribute to Bob Marley" ........ all off the the "Strange" album.

LSU..............lawd have mercy.
Please show that idiot this post.............PLEASE!! :lol:

Last edited:
post the entire show....was that the purple rain one or the one when they played down home blues?

We also played and acted out "Lets go Crazy" in the strands in 1984. On the breakdown the entire band literally wenty "crazy" with each section doing their own thing at the same time. :lol:

Txsu played it first in 84 at the J-State game will post the footage in a few

Now I remember...................TEXAS SOUTHERN DID play it.
If I remember correctly, they played that bad boy highstepping out the endzone at the beginning of the show. Got to admit, that shat was cold. :lol:

Thats when they had them TRUE LADY STALLIONS on the Dance line. :eek:

Now I remember...................TEXAS SOUTHERN DID play it.
If I remember correctly, they played that bad boy highstepping out the endzone at the beginning of the show. Got to admit, that shat was cold. :lol:

Thats when they had them TRUE LADY STALLIONS on the Dance line. :eek:

:tup: That was their signature entrance. Was the 1984 game in Jackson or Texas?

We also played and acted out "Lets go Crazy" in the strands in 1984. On the breakdown the entire band literally wenty "crazy" with each section doing their own thing at the same time. :lol:

And DT didn't like that either...:lol:

But I'm still stuck on the 1984. I need to see the footage inclusive of JSU also. I'll know for sure after that.... ;)

Last edited:
No one actually knows who played it first. It was a popular song that most HBCU bands played when it was released. People can easily say TXSU started because they continued to play the song when everyone else hit and quit it and dug it back up. Nothing more nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back