what made you go to an HBCU

I thought I was headed to UCLA or Nebraska, but my parents told me look around a little more. I ended up at Dillard University in my hometown of New Orleans. Oh I had a great ACT score so I could have gone to plenty of PWCs too. I got a great education at one of the highest rated HBCUs by US News and World Report. Also I was the first person in my family to attend a non-SWAC school for an undergraduate education.

So to correct this, I entered Texas Southern University for a graduate degree in Business. I also got a great education and made some lifelong friends as well.

Dirtyred

DU 87 BS Accounting
TSU 92 MBA General Business

A summer pre-engineering program

I had the opportunity to go to Tuskegee the summer before fall semester. I was headed to Auburn, but within a week of being on campus at Tuskegee, I said to heel with Auburn, I'm staying at Tuskegee.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I just didn't feel complete unless I had Alcorn State on my resume. It had to have that degree from there.

Like the others, I wouldn't trade the Alcorn Experience for nothing in this world.

I am probably one of the few people who didn't grow up worshipping the University of Alabama or Auburn University. I knew right from start when I saw the Cosby Show, A Different World, and School Daze that I was going to go to a black college. My older brother also attended a black college (Savannah State College at the time) around the sametime School Daze came out. I remember visiting the campus. I remember seeing the photo album. SSC was live back in the day. I don't know about now. But all of this had me pointing to a direction of attending a black college. I attended every single Magic City Classic (except one) since 1989. I played snare drum in high school because I wanted to be in ASU's band. I don't know what it is, but there is just something at black colleges you don't get attending a PWU. It was no way in h*ll I was going to go to boring azz UAB. My high school was right up the hill from it. ASU had Computer Science so I was happy although later I ended up switching to Computer Information Systems. That was the best move I ever made cause now I am reaping the benefits.

I started off at a PWC, mostly because of the attitude that the HBCU here in town was no good. I fell victim to that mindless thinking of "IF Mr. Man is considering me and Johnny for a job. Once he looks and sees the school on the resume he going to go with Johnny because he went to PWC" .
Well in the summer I would take my class at TSU and I started to see all the rich traditions that the school had to offer and I decided that this is where I wanted be. Now as far that school of thought I had, I soon realized that when Mr.Man needed people of color to fill his quota. He was going to get them from where they are most likely to be; at a HBCU.
I have a little sister and I am most definitely encouraging her the attend an HBCU.

Isn't It Funny

I attended a college day sponsored by ASU when I was in the 11th grade. I was taken back by the present of so many young educated black people and professionals inmy life. Later we attended a football game between Stae and Fort Valley State. I so was taken in with the passion of that whole experience that when I left my mind was pretty much made up. What really sealed the deal was that later that same year, my high school band particapated in the Turkey Day Classic. I fell in love with the whole HBCU culture. Most of my high school classmates attended HBCU's,with the maority of them going to AAMU, I anlone with two others attended ASU. However, my decison to attend ASU was not very popular with some of my siblings who wanted me to attend a PWC because my high school was predominity black. But by Divine providence I attended ASU.
In College, I part of a group that went on student retreats with other collge from around the state and I notice that the black kids that attended the UA's, the AU's and Truoy States could not really relate to us, State and A&M. I met a girl from A&M on one of these retreats and married her. We now tell our kids that if they expect us to pay for college it is either State or A&m, but fromreading this it is most definitly a HBCU.

Originally posted by Bartram
I had the opportunity to go to Tuskegee the summer before fall semester. I was headed to Auburn, but within a week of being on campus at Tuskegee, I said to heel with Auburn, I'm staying at Tuskegee.

Man there is nothing like the PRIDE that an HBCU's insipers in you is it. I think that the culture of HBCU's is like none other. We can all relate to each other no matter which one you attended. I know I raze you guys here and other places but Man I respect the accomplishmnets of TU and the other HBCU's. The love and loyalty that we have for our Schools and other HBCU's is not present in other black people who attended the AUM's, UAB's and UA's. My nephew graduated from UAB and rarely talk about it wiith the love my neice and I talk about when we mention State. I actually feel sorry for him because he missed ut on a wonderful experience that would have enriched him beyond measure.

:flippy: for joy that we all attended the best culture enrichment program we could experience an HBCU!!!

F'in A Swarm!

Originally posted by SwarmingHornet

Man there is nothing like the PRIDE that an HBCU's insipers in you is it. I think that the culture of HBCU's is like none other. We can all relate to each other no matter which one you attended. I know I raze you guys here and other places but Man I respect the accomplishmnets of TU and the other HBCU's. The love and loyalty that we have for our Schools and other HBCU's is not present in other black people who attended the AUM's, UAB's and UA's. My nephew graduated from UAB and rarely talk about it wiith the love my neice and I talk about when we mention State. I actually feel sorry for him because he missed ut on a wonderful experience that would have enriched him beyond measure.

:flippy: for joy that we all attended the best culture enrichment program we could experience an HBCU!!!

Precisely. That's the thing about HBCUs; as you point out, HBCU mugz anywhere and no matter which HBCU you from,,, RELATE LIKE A MUTHA!

And the thing too, like you point out, when we (or I'm) in a none-HBCU environment,,, I'M REPRESENTING ALL HBCUS.

I have friends in Bama that went/go to PWCs or no college at all. Every year I have to fend off mugs any time NOT ONLY Tuskegee has adversity, but ASU, AAMU, Miles, Stillman, or any HBCU has problems. The fight at the end of the Turkey Day Classic a few years ago, or any fight during a game/step show where HBCUs are involved, or a shooting on campus, schools going under, scandals in administration, ANYTHING,, mugz be comin' at my arse SIDEWAYS! (because I done run so much pro-HBCU smack admittedly,,,, "teh" :hat: )

Just like when FAMU came to play Troy in the playoffs; mugz was pounding on me all week before the game talking about how bad Troy State was gonna beat FAMU (really ribbing me because they know I went to an HBCU,,, never mind I didn't go to FAMU.), how it was going to be a Troy State cakewalk basically. I had to circle the wagons for the HBCUs even though I wasn't too confident FAMU could go into Troy State's house and WACK the Trojans,, at that time a perinnial Div I-AA powerhouse. When Troy State played Alabama State,,,, even though I have to put up with all kinds of blasts from the well entrenched ASUers on this forum,,, I have to turn around and DEFEND ASU's (or any HBCU) honor against all deez mugz I work wit dat didn't go to an HBCU or that go to Troy State BECAUSE THEY KNOW I WENT TO TU/A&T and I BE RUNNING HBCU SMACK ALL THE TIME!!!

So yeah,, we mix it up on this forum and run smack "in house",, but outside this forum, I (speak for myself) carry the HBCU badge regardless of the school cause I done run so much smack about my HBCU experience dat none-HBCU mugz resent my arse I guess and pile on any time an HBCU so much as loses,, especially in a direct clash with a PWC!

Lastly,, you are so correct; the vast majority of mugz dat went to PWCs (unless they were in frats/sororities) have precious little to rant and rave about when it comes to their college experience and DEFINITELY aren't all into going back for homecoming, keeping in touch with mugz you met the first day on the yard, basically having emence pride not only in your own school,, but all of the HBCUs!!! They don't have pride in the SEC or the ACC just because they went to school there, but I take great pride in all HBCUs because of my experiences going to two! If i'm in a town and two HBCUs are playing, I'm dead up in there no matter who it is cause I know what's gonna be up. You think they are going to go to a game if two PwCs are in town playing???????? I rest my case.

:jump:

Back