What is your school's athletic budget and...

Earle SU

is it sufficient to run a Division 1 athletic program?

While visiting the Southland Conference's Message board, I saw where Nicholls State has an operating budget for athletics of only 1.9 million. This budget is only about half that of other Southland institutions and less than half of most of the Texas schools. I began to think about the disparities in the budgets of the SWAC universities and whether those budgets are sufficient to run a Division 1 program.

A couple of years ago, I read or heard that Southern's budget was in the neighborhood of 4.5 million. Someone with more accurate up-to-date figures can help me out here.

What about your school?

Originally posted by Earle SU
is it sufficient to run a Division 1 athletic program?

While visiting the Southland Conference's Message board, I saw where Nicholls State has an operating budget for athletics of only 1.9 million. This budget is only about half that of other Southland institutions and less than half of most of the Texas schools. I began to think about the disparities in the budgets of the SWAC universities and whether those budgets are sufficient to run a Division 1 program.

A couple of years ago, I read or heard that Southern's budget was in the neighborhood of 4.5 million. Someone with more accurate up-to-date figures can help me out here.

What about your school?

VALLEY'S BUDGET CONSISTS OF A BAG OF "FLAMING HOT CHEETOES" AND A BOTTLE OF CRYSTAL PEPSI....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think TSU's athletic budget is around 2.9 million. I think we're getting a decent return on our investment when you consider the athletic budgets for the other schools (SU, JSU, GSU, AL ST., and AL A&M) in the SWAC.

I don't think Nicholls whole athletic budget is 1.9 million, maybe that's just their football budget.

TSFan, you hit it right on the head $2.9M. The 2002 - 2003 budget was presented to the board of regents this past Friday. You'll be surprised to know what the new budget was approved at.

SU has around a $5 million dollar budget and it shows as they win all those non-revenue sports.

PV's is very low but it is slowly rising thanks to hoops. A few wins and the ease of recruiting this past hoops season will serve notice to the administration. However, a new president will make or break whatever progress that is occuring.

I need a good laugh right now....

I think our budget is 4 Cows and half a dozen chickens!!

We're doing good considering the fact that we are on our way back to the top. We might up the budget to 6 Cows and 2 dozen chickens!!

While visiting the Southland Conference's Message board, I saw where Nicholls State has an operating budget for athletics of only 1.9 million. This budget is only about half that of other Southland institutions and less than half of most of the Texas schools

That figure was wrong. If you look at the latest audit of Nicholls 2000-2001 fiscal year, you'll see they spent 2.9 million. McNeese's budget for the same time was 4.3 million.

Legislative Auditor's Financial Audits

I think this is a good topic, you mean to tell me this topic has 175 hits and only 6 responses. I know some of yall have a good idea of your schools budget. PVU, SU, GSU, ALCORN, JSU, MVSU, BAMA ST., BAMA A&M, AND PINE BLUFF what's up.

Most of yall brag about how great your schools are in athletics, disclose your budget and let's see if there is a level playing field in the SWAC. Let's see who's getting a good return on their investment and who's not.

Well I do not know the exact figure, but I know it needs to be increased even more just to keep the facilities up and improve them. In saying that, I think SU obviously is getting our monies worth with all the Commish cups we have won. Just think we had a sad men's basketball team this year and still won it. So we do get good value in the other sports. We all could use improvements. So I am not going to sit here an brag or boast. There is more to be done. Example..... Coach Cador does not have a big budget for baseball. But he makes it happened without the big money. Just think if he had LSU type money for our baseball program. We would be in the CWS.

Originally posted by McNeese72

That figure was wrong. If you look at the latest audit of Nicholls 2000-2001 fiscal year, you'll see they spent 2.9 million. McNeese's budget for the same time was 4.3 million.

Legislative Auditor's Financial Audits

If theses figures are correct, I see know reason why the upper tear schools in the SWAC can't compete with Nicholls and McNeese. I'm not saying we can't compete, I don't know our head to head record against these two schools.

For the life of me, I'm still wondering why Coach Thomas, at TSU is afraid of Sam Houston State Univ. Maybe he knows he can't compete with the Bearcats. I wonder what's there athletic budget?

:redhot: :redhot:

we <font size=5>BALLIN</font>:D

and yes I think it would be feasible for us to go D-1!

Bulldog Club
ACRG-Athletic Community Resources Group
Alumni Chapters

Grams got an additional million

Thank Mr. Culverhouse and thanks to all our donors. Matter fact I gave and I hope you give as well.:idea: :idea: :idea:

Originally posted by TRU3000
we <font size=5>BALLIN</font>:D

and yes I think it would be feasible for us to go D-1!

Bulldog Club
ACRG-Athletic Community Resources Group
Alumni Chapters

Skeee Weeee come get Tru3000!

With that comment Alabama A&M is about to become the new Buffalo Bills. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only titles yall won are in volleyball and softball. A&M is very competitive in basketball, I'm not sure about your football team. Correct me if I'm wrong, I bet A&M's athletic budget is one of higher budgets in the SWAC (top four).

Budget!

UAPB'S budget is a couple cans of sardines, saltine crackers, kool-aid and a bottle of hot sauce!

Re: Budget!

Originally posted by pbla
UAPB'S budget is a couple cans of sardines, saltine crackers, kool-aid and a bottle of hot sauce!

IF YOU ADD THAT TO VALLEY'S BUDGET THEN WE COULD ARRANGE A TASTY SNACK..... :D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
No SU isn't #1

they are number three, FAMU is #1 and Hampton is 2 among HBCU. I believe Grambling is 5th, right behind AAMU.;) ;)

Back