What is this year's tie breaker rule?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Da_Sperm said:
Does anybody know? I would hate for the SWAC to come out with the rules in mid-season.

They should not have to make any. We all play each other as mandated so the tie-breaker would be head to head play.

First, I will admit that I do not know the tie-break formula. However, if every team is playing 9 SWAC games there should not be any designated games. All SWAC games should count as a conference game win or lose (Hear that DUMB @$$e$ in the SWAC OFFICE)! I have never heard of such DUMB $#!t before in my life designating conference games. Counting all games may cut down some confusion. Now about the statement about no tie-break formula is needed...I guess not if the SWAC is going to tell SU to play someone & SU tells the SWAC HELL NO & KISS my @$$ & is rewarded with a trip to the SCG. I would not want a tie-break formula either. I truly hope this is not the case this year. BTW, I am for all of the teams invited to the Basketball Tournament as well. If every team in everyone else's conference can win their way to the field of 65 even being at the bottom of their conference all season, the SWAC teams should be allowed the same opportunity.

Here is my IF, which last year I presented my IF and people laughed at me, but it turned out to be a reality.

Let's say UAPB, GSU, and SU each goes 5-0 against the East teams. UAPB beats GSU, GSU beats SU, and SU beats UAPB. That leaves UAPB, GSU, and SU with an 8-1 SWAC record. Who represents the West? Head-to-Head won't count because there is a 3-way tie for first.

UAPB, GSU, and SU were teams used just as an example, any 3 teams in one division could end up tied for first.

We were talking about this last night!

Also, what would happen if that senerio and the fact that the EAST leader has a worse record than the top two teams in the WEST?

philharmonic said:

Also, what would happen if that senerio and the fact that the EAST leader has a worse record than the top two teams in the WEST?

So, are you saying that the SCG should be between 2 teams in the West? Good point. There is really no East nor West if every team is playing each other once.

philharmonic said:

The SCG is between the winner of the east and the winner of the west, no matter of the second place record. Just like the NBA, every team plays each other, but even if the 2 top records are in the west, it will not be a west - west.

As far as the 3 way tie, If I remember Correctly one of the criteria is record against the team with the next best record.

The East/West in the NBA is totally different. A team in the West will play every team in the East twice a year and play teams in the West as many as 4 times. So the division games are heavier. In the SWAC, there is no need for an East or West when everybody plays each other once.

As for the 3-way tie breaker, between teams that run the table in the opposite division, there is no written tie-breaker rule.

UAPB '97 said:
I'm sure there is some criteria already in place for ties.
Wasn't that the assumption last season? What Lewis (#10) SAID MAKES SENSE, BUT IS IT TRUE?

Yea, all bb teams should go to the tourney.

UAPB-LIONS-AM&N said:
Wasn't that the assumption last season? What Lewis (#10) SAID MAKES SENSE, BUT IS IT TRUE?
Last season wasn't figured out early because of the scheduling situation.

Da_Sperm said:
The East/West in the NBA is totally different. A team in the West will play every team in the East twice a year and play teams in the West as many as 4 times. So the division games are heavier. In the SWAC, there is no need for an East or West when everybody plays each other once.

As for the 3-way tie breaker, between teams that run the table in the opposite division, there is no written tie-breaker rule.
There are lots of different ways to look at it, but I just posted what it is. If my memory serves me correctly (one of you resident experts can correct me if I am wrong, like Jafus :smile: ) the NBA was not always like that. At one time they played each team ~4 times (+ or - a few to make an even 82 games) They went to the current format to cut down cross country travel (just like the finals are 2-3-2 instead of 2-2-1-1-1). But in the end it was east. vs west.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back