What is happening to our waists and weights?

Anonymous

What is happening in America with our weight and waists? I can only speak for our people, but it looks like we are just letting ourselves go... You look at the children, young people, middle aged and older folks and it seems like we are just becoming obese as a people...

I am not saying that to be mean or whatever, but we have got to take better care of ourselves and eat to live, not live to eat!! :mrt:

People just like to eat what they want and not exercise. I know I don't like to exercise...fortunately for me, my waist is not large, nor out of control. hell, I'm not big, but luckily it's more genetic for me.

I try to watch how much of certain things I eat, just for the simple fact that Diabetes runs prevalent in my family.

I have to work harder on my son b/c he's naturally a big, husky boy due to genetics. That's why I constantly keep him active in sports and extra-curricular activities. We have altered his diet, as well.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Man, I haven't picked up 2 pounds since graduating from college in 1993. I still wear some of the same slacks to work that I owned back then, and the same jacket.

I do watch what I eat.

I have lost 70 lbs in a year. I have about 50 more to go. I don?t have an exercise routine yet, I want to join a gym soon. Mostly what I did was cut out a lot of starchy foods, eating more veggies and lean meat. I don?t eat as much fried foods as I use to. Also, I don?t use the elevator if I?m going 3 floors or less. I don?t use the shuttle they provide us. I walk to my office in the morning and to my car in the evening. But really, I think it is easier loosing weight not living in Baton Rouge any more. That food is good but it will kill you. :winkgrin:

I do watch what I eat.

Man, fast food is the Devil if you eat it everyday. I used to live off fast food and then wondered why I was slowly and gradually not seeing my dick. lol

Watch the movie Supersize Me.

51YMPZ2HNWL._SS500_.jpg

Ole boy gained over 30lbs. in a month eating breakfast, lunch and Dinner at McDonalds....all the while he still was active and kept to his daily routine.

:smh:

for every out- of- shape woman, there's some dude
who wants to hit, so he's gasing her head telling her
how good she looks. She starts believing that sh@t and
says fugg it and lets her body go!!! Not realizing she's killing herself.

Man, I haven't picked up 2 pounds since graduating from college in 1993. I still wear some of the same slacks to work that I owned back then, and the same jacket.

I do watch what I eat.

You watch that shat go into your mouth before it goes down yo' thoak ... :rolleyes:

for every out- of- shape woman, there's some dude
who wants to hit, so he's gasing her head telling her
how good she looks. She starts believing that sh@t and
says fugg it and lets her body go!!! Not realizing she's killing herself.
well, it's not just women that are out of shape...I see out of shape, fat ass men on a daily basis.

well, it's not just women that are out of shape...I see out of shape, fat ass men on a daily basis.

well it's different with men, all we have to do
is make alot of money, and there will always be
some woman justifying staying with us.

well it's different with men, all we have to do
is make alot of money, and there will always be
some woman justifying staying with us.
It doesn't matter about the money...this thread was about black people getting and staying healthy. My point was men need to focus on themselves first/more before always having something to say about a woman. I see more men w/pot guts and beer bellies than women.

It doesn't matter about the money...this thread was about black people getting and staying healthy. My point was men need to focus on themselves first/more before always having something to say about a woman. I see more men w/pot guts and beer bellies than women.

Yeah this is true. I think being healthy is the major concern.
Although you can be large and healthy, most larger people are not healthy
adding 30 minutes of excercise/10,000 steps a day would make alot of difference.
Being too scrawny is also not good.

oh, I agree with you. It's all about being healthy, but normally folks w/large guts are NOT healthy.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
What is happening in America with our weight and waists? I can only speak for our people, but it looks like we are just letting ourselves go... You look at the children, young people, middle aged and older folks and it seems like we are just becoming obese as a people...

I am not saying that to be mean or whatever, but we have got to take better care of ourselves and eat to live, not live to eat!! :mrt:

Hey great question.

I was listening to Dr. Mimet Oz the other day and he interviewed another doctor who had done some research on this topic.

He discussed Carbs and Sugars, Meat, and weather or not Atkins was onto something with the no carbs diet.

The research which has taken place over mean years and studies done in several countries.

The Chinese eat rice everyday. The research stated those people were never overweight until Coca Cola and Pepsi products arrived in their countries breaking the way for other American fast food establishments.

They then discussed animals...yeah, animals. He said some animals are carnivorous (meat eaters only) and they don't stop to pick the fat off their meat and they are not fat. A debate came up....problem was animals who are simply carnivorous will never be fat. Why? They do not consume processed and refined sugars. The doctor argued, "show me a fat lion, and I will show you a lion being fed processed fatted, preserved, and food made with sugars and salts..."

So in short, what has happened is that our cultures consume too much sugar (diabetes), too much salt (high blood pressure), and do not exercise. Also, our portion sizes are out of control based on scientific studies....

I get very disturbed when I see over weight kids. Parent are allowing kids to each entirely to much food. We have also cut the amount of time they get to play outside both at home and at school. They don't even go to PE on a daily basis and when they do many kids have excuses from parents stating they can't participate.

I've lost 8lbs due to this month's hectic work schedual. I haven had time to grocery shop or cook. I cut out bread also.

Im a thick brother but I stay in that gym atleast 5 times a week and do cardio every day.

Had this EXACT convo with a friend before Xmas. It's amazing. I remember when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s and at the typical fast food joint, virtually all of the sistas working in em was athletic looking. Not so today.

I have noticed that my eating habits get worse when i'm back home in Bama. While I was in Cali I was about as far away from the diet I grew up on as I could be. No Daddy Buck syrup (for the Montgomery/ASUers the equivalent of Plow Boy/Yellow Label/AlaGa syrup but made just below the state line in Graceville, FL) and biscuit soppin', no cured ham for breakfast, very little beef maybe once every 3-5 months, no veggies cooked with cured meat except when visiting home. Now that i'm back,, oh man, i've slipped into old habbits, and that's not good, esp now with the sedentary lifestyle.

My genetics are saving me weight-wise right now (i've been the same weight since a bit after college, i PURPOSELY eat all this crap you ain't supposed to at night AND IT SEEMS LIKE I LOSE WEIGHT!! :upset: ), but they don't save me from high blood pressure and diabeties. In fact, they will likely be my undoing when it comes to diabeties because it runs in the family.

As I type I got a pot of great northern beans and cured ham cooking and a big pot of gumbo simmering and got some more of that real thin cured breakfast ham not even 3 hours ago. :shame:

We're getting big because of the net and just becoming sedintary.

I do watch what I eat.

Sounds familier to me.

Back