What former NBA player could help the SWAC Men's basketball, like Coach Prime has done with Football?

Olde Hornet

I am looking for the name of a person and why (if you like to explain why), this is NOT about what school where this person would coach, just someone with the personality to bring in more top players, more media attention and more money to support SWAC basketball.

I see Avery Johnson (not as a coach, however) as such a person, because he does have a platform, and is young enough (late 50s) that the parents of most high school athletes know who he is.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I see Avery Johnson (not as a coach, however) as such as person, because he does have a platform, and is young enough (late 50s) that the parents of most high school athletes know who he is.

The key part is the platform. Deion has Barstool that can get the message out there in a non-traditional way (primarily streaming and social media) so whoever that person is probably has to be plugged in that way as well as traditional media. The funny thing is that last year we had two NBA champion coaches in the SWAC (3 overall) so they were ableto get some promo but not like what's going on in Jackson. Hell Mo retired in 2017 I believe so his name still should be recognizable to sub-30 NBA fans.

I was thinking Charles Barkley but I think better fit for coach would be Kenny Smith

Allen Iverson he was a generational talent and has the Iverson Classic that the top kids play in every year.

80% of active players if they are educated in they're history and practice the principles of self love and self determination towards our people. The European education we experience in America is anti - African......so it plays out in a anti - African mindset. We feel comfort in giving to them and not giving to ourselves because we are educated to do so. We are the only people on Earth who allow our children to be educated by their oppressors.

I always thought Juwon Howard would be that one who had every tangible asset to change the trajectory. He is definitely doing that at his alma mater.

First Prime is different and the NFL and NBA is TOTALLY different considering how they address social issues.

That’s the first step…..I say that because Prime has earned enough money to not feel as if he owes anyone anything. The interesting thing is that the NBA allows players to express themselves.

So when we look at an NBA coach to affect SEAC Basketball like prime affected SWAC football is a tough thing.

EASY MICHAEL JEFFERY JORDAN head coach at AAMU Or LEBRON JAMES head coach at FAMU To me that would be equal to Coach Prime at JSU

The only equivalent to Prime at JSU in basketball is either Micheal Jordan or LeBron James at a Texas Southern or NCCU

Bethune Cookman named Reggie Theaus head coach and AD a year ago; not much success in year one however. My position is just because you played in the NBA, NFL, etc. doesn't necessarily mean one can coach. But if its not about wins, but more financial and marketing, that's another story within itself. Fans, supporters, donors and even students want to see a winning program.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back