What counts as a swac win? Please will someone explain.

CurtDog 1971

Will someone please tell me why you can play a game against a conference team and it not count in the conference standings. Does any other conference do this. Someone please tell me.

Originally posted by CurtDog 1971
Will someone please tell me why you can play a game against a conference team and it not count in the conference standings. Does any other conference do this. Someone please tell me.

Okay... Here we go.

The SWAC is split in two divisions East and West. An East team must play all East teams. All those games count. Same can be said for the West.

Now, each SWAC team plays three teams for the oppisite side. Those games count. The teams that count are determined from a rotating schedule. None of the other teams from the oppisite division, East or West, are required for the team to play. Meaning, if you schedule any extra teams from the oppisite division then those games would not count in the SWAC standings.

Example:

Grambling's Schedule
-----------------------------------------------
Aug 31 at McNeese State
Sep 07 *ALCORN STATE
Sep 14 at Alabama A&M
Sep 21 TENNESSEE STATE
Sep 28 LANGSTON
Oct 05 *vs Prairie View A&M
Oct 19 *vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Oct 26 *JACKSON STATE
Nov 02 *at Texas Southern
Nov 09 *ALABAMA STATE
Nov 16 at Morris Brown
Nov 30 *vs Southern

* denotes SWAC games that count.

Grambling is in the West division.
Games in bold are SWAC West games.
Games in red are SWAC East games that count.

The reason this happens is because SWAC teams can't schedule teams to play us at home without some benefit to the other school so we have to schedule other SWAC teams even though we don't have to. This is noticable with all the scheduling of DII and NAIA schools on SWAC schedules.

Let me know if you understand.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Thank's Gram I still really don'y understand the entire mess like how did the Gram vs Ala A&M didn't count and who chooses which game doesn't count I guess that's waht I am not putting together

Re: Re: What counts as a swac win? Please will someone explain.

Originally posted by GRAM4LIFE

Okay... Here we go.

The SWAC is split in two divisions East and West. An East team must play all East teams. All those games count. Same can be said for the West.

Now, each SWAC team plays three teams for the oppisite side. Those games count. The teams that count are determined from a rotating schedule. None of the other teams from the oppisite division, East or West, are required for the team to play. Meaning, if you schedule any extra teams from the oppisite division then those games would not count in the SWAC standings.

Example:

Grambling's Schedule
-----------------------------------------------
Aug 31 at McNeese State
Sep 07 *ALCORN STATE
Sep 14 at Alabama A&M
Sep 21 TENNESSEE STATE
Sep 28 LANGSTON
Oct 05 *vs Prairie View A&M
Oct 19 *vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Oct 26 *JACKSON STATE
Nov 02 *at Texas Southern
Nov 09 *ALABAMA STATE
Nov 16 at Morris Brown
Nov 30 *vs Southern

* denotes SWAC games that count.

Grambling is in the West division.
Games in bold are SWAC West games.
Games in red are SWAC East games that count.

The reason this happens is because SWAC teams can't schedule teams to play us at home without some benefit to the other school so we have to schedule other SWAC teams even though we don't have to. This is noticable with all the scheduling of DII and NAIA schools on SWAC schedules.

Let me know if you understand.

How do they decide which game is the extra game. If you play 4 east teams, which game is the one that doesn't count. Is it decide before season? Is it the order you play the games?

I don't know how or when it was determined on who you play. That's why I just said rotating schedule.

The three teams you play from the other divsion are predetermined before the season in addition to the four teams you play from your divsion. That gives you seven games... All other games are scheduled by your ADs. So, if an additional SWAC school is selected then they do not count.

Re: Re: Re: What counts as a swac win? Please will someone explain.

Originally posted by Sonic98
Is it decide before season?

As GRAM4LIFE said, it is decided before the season which games do count. From the homepage of this website, you can go to football and then to 2002 schedule to see which games count. Those games that count are in BOLD.

In order to stay on top of this situation, you have to pay attention to the schedules before the season starts. The SWAC office published the rotating schedule a couple of years ago. So each school knows exactly which 3 from the other division they have to play and that will count. After they determine who's mandatory, they can decide if they wanna play any of the remaining schools as non-conference opponents.

It's very important that you know on the front end who counts, so you won't be surprised or caught off guard.

Thanks Gram

Thanks for the answer. I would like to know what idiot came up with this. I can understand the rotation of teams. But why not just let all games count like all other conferences do. Well I guess I should know the answer. This is the SWAC.

Re: Thanks Gram

Thanks for the answer. I would like to know what idiot came up with this. I can understand the rotation of teams. But why not just let all games count like all other conferences do. Well I guess I should know the answer. This is the SWAC.

The only thing that we do differently from other confereces that have divisions is that we allow schools to play "non-conference" games against conference teams. Maybe our new commishioner will change that and things won't be so confusing.

Now that they are making it mandatory that everybody plays each other during the season, I wonder if they will make all games count. I see no reason why they wouldnt. Does anyone know if this will be the case or not?

We don't know ish. I also e-mailed some AD's and they don't know ish either. I will probably be decided in December. However, I don't think they are fair to the new commish. They are making too many changes before he takes office.

Curt Dog:To take it a step further, SU and PVAMU were rotated off Bama State's schedule. If ASU needed a extra game to play or didn't have enough games to play, then ASU could have played one of those two teams, but the games wouldn't have counted in the standings. And from my understanding, those games would have only counted if you had to brake a tie with several teams involved in that tie for the divisional lead.

IF the game is not going to count, it should not be played, unless the two schools just really want to play each other. It's not fair to make one match-up more important than the other. IF it doesn't count, it shouldn't be paid unless its scheduled for the purpose of a big match-up.

The problem is some of you are looking at it from the wrong directions. Start with this. YOUR SCHOOL PLAYS EVERYONE FROM THEIR DIVISION AND 3 FROM THE OTHER. THat schedule is already made. Take this year for Southern, WE played AAMU, JSU, and Valley. Those 3 conference games were decided years ago. Next year our eastern confence games will be (if I am not mistaken, not looking at my copy now) AAMU, JSU, and ALCORN. AT this point, we are just like any other conference. Nothing stupid here. <br>Now this is where we differ and the confusion sets in. SOuthern had 4 more spots to fill on our schedule, after the dust settled, we still needed a game for Nov. 3. SO Alcorn was also looking for a game on Nov. 3 (They did not want to go out to Calif. for the game they had tentatively scheduled) It saved money for Alcorn and made money for Southern. However, from day 1 everyone knew (except yall here) that this game had nothing to do with the conference. Now what the SWAC has not done is say, "If we have not scheduled it as a conference game, you cannot play them" the swac office did not tie each schools hands like that. Now most conferences just would not schedule like that. But the SWAC does, one reason, in my opinion, is the SWAC is a driving conference (Fans drive to the games, Team rides bus to game). There are only so many school that you can play that are close, so in the SU ALcorn case, the only schools closer to us than them are LSU, ULL and Tulane.<br><br>Now this new, everyone gotta play everyone bull****** is dumb.

It still is stupid

I don't care how any of you try to justify this process. I'll give you an example of how this could hurt a team. Jackson St. plays AA&M this Saturday. If AA&M looses to Jackson St. but beats Alcorn the next week and Jackson St. beats Alcorn on Nov 23, AA&M goes to Birmingham. So I guess you ask what is the problem? Well, AA&M lost to Grambling and so did Jackson St. Both teams would have lost 2 conference games. But with the screwed up process the lost to Grambling by AA&M does not count in the standings.

Here's the solution:

IF YOU PLAY A GAME AGAINST A CONFERENCE FOE, THE GAME SHOULD COUNT. PERIOD!!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME SWAC OFFICE!!!

I guess some of you say I forgot about Praview on Nov 16. Uhhh,
no I didn't.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Curt

I agree. And since everybody plays each other next year, it makes even more sense that each game should count.

What Counts as a SWAC win

A SWAC win is determined by the number of teams that you play in your division, plus three other games that coaches choose from the other division. For example, all games that GSU plays in the west will count towards the SWAC record. The three games that count against our record in the east are: Alabama State, Alcorn, and Jackson. So to answer your question, it depends on the team and which games the coaches have selected from the other division. :)GRAMBLING SPORTS RADIO NETWORK

I think that the SWAC should have a rotating schedule for conference games that are from another division. And I wish that someone would realize that this game is good and all, but the phantom Black College Football champion is crazy. The two best teams in Black college football need to square off for the Black College National Championship

Re: It still is stupid

I don't care how any of you try to justify this process. I'll give you an example of how this could hurt a team. Jackson St. plays AA&M this Saturday. If AA&M looses to Jackson St. but beats Alcorn the next week and Jackson St. beats Alcorn on Nov 23, AA&M goes to Birmingham. So I guess you ask what is the problem? Well, AA&M lost to Grambling and so did Jackson St. Both teams would have lost 2 conference games. But with the screwed up process the lost to Grambling by AA&M does not count in the standings.

Here's the solution:

IF YOU PLAY A GAME AGAINST A CONFERENCE FOE, THE GAME SHOULD COUNT. PERIOD!!!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME SWAC OFFICE!!!

I guess some of you say I forgot about Praview on Nov 16. Uhhh,
no I didn't.
Why didn't you just say that this is the purpose of this thread? I mean, I was waiting for you to come out with it. LOL. But let me tell you like this. A&M vs GSU would not have taken place this year if the A.D.s of both schools didn't want to continue the series. It was discussed in the newspaper last year when A&M played GSU. These conference games where already made out this way a few years ago. A&Ms game against PV doesn't count either so what can you do? We needed another apponent to fill our open date. FAMU chickened out so we got PV.

Also, every game can't count this year against every SWAC team each other plays, because we don't play the same # of SWAC teams. A&M for example will play EVERY SWAC team this year (9). I don't think any other team plays every SWAC team. Do you see? The conference standings would be unbalanced.

CurtDog,

There won't be any controversy if A&M makes the SCG with one loss. NO conference has a rule that says you can't play intra-conference foes as non-conference opponents. Schools are allowed to schedule whoever the hell the wanna. Those big conferences don't do that because they usually want definite home games against non-conference games and probably an easy pushover opponent. So they get weak teams to come visit them, instead of the tough conference team who wants a home game as well, and who'll also be a tough game.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about our setup. Each team has a 7 game schedule that's pre-set. The other 4-5 games are on the schools. Some just chose to play a fellow SWAC school, mostly for financial reasons.

Man please

Rubber you still don't get it. You are still playing games against teams in your own conference that don't count in the standings which is stupid. I have no problem with playing the three games from the other divisions. That is fine. But why not schedule some money games against some of the 1-A schools like Grambling did or like Florida A&M does if you want to fill your schedule. The game that Jackson St. played Saturday against Pine Bluff was for nothing. NOTHING!! That could have been a game against a Tulane or someone where some money could have been made. The SEC has a setup where they rotate playing schools from the other divison but they still don't play schools from the other division that don't count. All I am saying is if you play someone from you own conference it should count in the standings.

Re: Man please

Rubber you still don't get it. You are still playing games against teams in your own conference that don't count in the standings which is stupid. I have no problem with playing the three games from the other divisions. That is fine. But why not schedule some money games against some of the 1-A schools like Grambling did or like Florida A&M does if you want to fill your schedule. The game that Jackson St. played Saturday against Pine Bluff was for nothing. NOTHING!! That could have been a game against a Tulane or someone where some money could have been made. The SEC has a setup where they rotate playing schools from the other divison but they still don't play schools from the other division that don't count. All I am saying is if you play someone from you own conference it should count in the standings.
The only person not getting anything is you, man. We play Pine Bluff because it's a 3 1/2 hour drive, and an opponent we can count on to come to Jackson every other year, as long as we keep the relationship. We'll make more money against UAPB, weather permitting, every other year in Jackson than we will against most other schools we don't usually play. The SU game didn't count for us, either, but JSU and SU knows that money will be made for each school when they host. So we keep playing. JSU does not play PV or Tx. Southern when it's not mandatory, because the trip to Houston every other year is too expensive compared to what we make when they come to Jackson. Simple cost/benefit analysis. You are just stuck on the fact that the games don't count, as if money can't be made otherwise.

JSU played USM in it's first game. In case you didn't notice, USM is a I-A PWC. They paid us $225K to make a 90 minute drive. We scheduled Northwestern State, but the backed out to play Georgia this year. And remember, Grambling went to A&M for a non-conference game. To them, I'm sure they see a benefit for continuing to play each other. Just like we see a benefit of continuing to play SU, Gram and Pine Bluff. Whether those games count or not, they will stay on our schedule.

And you keep talking about what the SEC does. They don't play non-conference games against conference teams because they don't wanna play them. Florida ain't playing Alabama unless they have to. They choose not to. Not because the can't. They don't need to. They can make their money playing anybody. We don't have that luxury. Our fans like familiarity.

WHATEVER

First of all Rubber I was talking about when Grambling played Louisville a couple of years ago. You are correct we still should play the money games. I just think that there is a better way. But it seems that you are one of those people that agree with everything the SWAC does and do not want to offer any critiscism. With fans like you we will always be considered a second rate conference that is going nowhere but playing in classics against each other every year that don't mean anything to rest of the country.

Re: WHATEVER

But it seems that you are one of those people that agree with everything the SWAC does and do not want to offer any critiscism. With fans like you we will always be considered a second rate conference that is going nowhere but playing in classics against each other every year that don't mean anything to rest of the country.

Hey Bro. you need to come back down to reality. What good is critiscism when you don't have any better suggestions or alternatives to offer. In case you didn't know black college AD's don't have a lot of choices when it comes to money games. We (black folks) just don't come out because we are playing a home game. If we don't know the team and/or think they are a good team we don't show up.

Back