What can you do for your health that you aren't?

chocalate_topaz

I wanna be your lover...
I ask this because I was at church yesterday and the pastor was telling us about how he was having some serious health challenges: he is a diabetic, legs are swelling, he's needing 4 insulin shots and 17 pills a day to stay here. BUT dude is also about 5'9, 250+ and when we have dinner, he might get a diet coke but he doesn't miss the dressing, desserts, etc.

I was thinking, dude, if you walk around that track after school (he is a teacher) gets out every day, you might be able to decrease what you are taking.

I know I've seen a difference with the walking and slimming down--less hypertensive meds needed, almost none.

So...what are you NOT doing that you could do for your health. Cause when its gone...its Real REAL hard to get back.

I excercise 5 days a week. Get out and running 3 to 4 miles a day does wonders for you. Also eating healthy. It is important to get a green leaf veggie a day, and not all that fried food.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I like walking 2 miles a day. When I miss, I'm like :xeye: I got the P90X but , I don't think I'm ready. I ached so bad after messing with that dude. I'm mean like I had a sex marathon aching--bowlegged and tipping, moaning...folks like "what did you do last night?" :lol:

I am doing 10x better with my diet now. I hardly eat fried foods or pastas. I try to limit my rice and bread intake and I only buy that crystal light, natural lemonade for the house (it doesnt have maltodextrin in it). I also try to work out atleast 4 days a week. (1000 calories per workout minimum is my goal)

I need to get more check-ups though. I will go visit the doctor next week for the first time since 2006.

I like walking 2 miles a day. When I miss, I'm like :xeye: I got the P90X but , I don't think I'm ready. I ached so bad after messing with that dude. I'm mean like I had a sex marathon aching--bowlegged and tipping, moaning...folks like "what did you do last night?" :lol:

CT,
I got all the materials for p90x yesterday. I am starting in January.

I'm good about going to the gym every week, and I try to maximize my time and workout there. I like kickbox cardio. But I need to do more when I'm at home.

I don't buy sodas for the house and don't keep a lot of junk food around the house. But my weakness? Sweet tea. :smh:

And as much as I don't like to cook, I need to do it more.

I think things have switched up in our generation. Most of my homeboys and I cook all the time because it is cheaper than eating out and healthier. Most of my homegirls rarely cook.

I think things have switched up in our generation. Most of my homeboys and I cook all the time because it is cheaper than eating out and healthier. Most of my homegirls rarely cook.

Healthier? Most definitely. Cheaper? Not my experience. A week's worth of groceries to cook and/or prepare food at home has been about the same as a week's worth of eating out.

I haven't really exercised much since my great Cam Newton-like collegiate athletic career ended in 2006. But I have tried to stop eating like a large mouth bass, though.

I just got a costco card so I load up on drumsticks, and frozen boneless chicken breast. I also eat a lot of tilapia and I will get shrimp or salmon every few weeks. Those are really the only meats that I eat on a regular basis, I just try to cook them different ways. I will normally bake a 15 pack of drumsticks on Sunday Night and that provides lunch and dinner for a 2 days. As far as sides, I normally do steamer packs.

I live down street from a safeway that happens to be subway stop as well so I tend to buy my fruits and veggies out of there. However, on the weekends I normally hit costco or walmart to get my meats, juices and stuff.

My heart goes out to single mothers with growing boys. I know that has to be expensive. Sometimes, I can spend over $300 a month on food for myself. However, I normally try to stay under $200 if possible. Excluding meals on the weekend where I may eat out.

yeah, I spend just as much on groceries as eating out too pretty much...only difference is that groceries last longer. I cook pretty regularly and try to watch how I eat, BUT my problem is working out on a consistent basis. I absolutely hate exercising. I walk regularly, but don't have an exercise regimen that I can seem to stick with.

I just got a costco card so I load up on drumsticks, and frozen boneless chicken breast. I also eat a lot of tilapia and I will get shrimp or salmon every few weeks. Those are really the only meats that I eat on a regular basis, I just try to cook them different ways. I will normally bake a 15 pack of drumsticks on Sunday Night and that provides lunch and dinner for a 2 days. As far as sides, I normally do steamer packs.

I live down street from a safeway that happens to be subway stop as well so I tend to buy my fruits and veggies out of there. However, on the weekends I normally hit costco or walmart to get my meats, juices and stuff.

My heart goes out to single mothers with growing boys. I know that has to be expensive. Sometimes, I can spend over $300 a month on food for myself. However, I normally try to stay under $200 if possible. Excluding meals on the weekend where I may eat out.

Yes, LAWD!!!!!!! :nod:

Buying in bulks is good, but it just doesn't work for me. Both me and my son are picky eaters. I would hate to load up on something for it to only sit in the freezer/fridge and turn bad. That's a waste of money. So, it's not uncommon for me to be in a grocery store twice week. By the time I spend the money to prepare food at home and buy fresh fruits/frozen veggies, it's about the same as eating out.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I am doing 10x better with my diet now. I hardly eat fried foods or pastas. I try to limit my rice and bread intake and I only buy that crystal light, natural lemonade for the house (it doesnt have maltodextrin in it). I also try to work out atleast 4 days a week. (1000 calories per workout minimum is my goal)

:xeye: :xeye:

Well I backslid for the past two weeks and gained 2 pounds. :bawling: :lol: But I'm back on it now. :tup:

:xeye: :xeye:

Well I backslid for the past two weeks and gained 2 pounds. :bawling: :lol: But I'm back on it now. :tup:

Don't feel bad, between finals, thanksgiving and a hectic month. I gained 5. I have lost 2 back though.

As far as the 1000 calories, that is really not that hard. I use the machine below for 45 minutes on the hill settings at level 10;
CYBEX-360A-Home-Arc-Trainer.jpg

I can honestly say the Cybex Arctrainer is a winner.

Don't feel bad, between finals, thanksgiving and a hectic month. I gained 5. I have lost 2 back though.

As far as the 1000 calories, that is really not that hard. I use the machine below for 45 minutes on the hill settings at level 10;

Okay, cool.....I don't feel so bad now. :lol: My dayum clothes are still falling off, so that's a good sign. :lol: :tup:

So if your goal is 1000 calories per workout, just what is your daily intake? I try not to go over 1300 and I burn maybe 200-300 per workout. Now that elliptical is the TRUTH. :nod: I got on it last night and I was done after 10 minutes. :what: :smh: My cardio machine of choice is the stationary bike:

Star_Trac_Pro_Recumbent_Exercise_Bike.jpg

I have never tried the calorie counting thing. I just cant do it. I am a bigger guy so I like to eat. What has worked for me over the past year is basically watching what I eat. I lay low on breads, pastas, rice, red meat and fruit juices/ soft drinks.

My downfall is gummi bears and sunchips. I can't do the stationary bike, I used to do spin class but I fell in love with the arc trainer. I am a former football player so I like high intensity work-outs. I

I have never tried the calorie counting thing. I just cant do it. I am a bigger guy so I like to eat. What has worked for me over the past year is basically watching what I eat. I lay low on breads, pastas, rice, red meat and fruit juices/ soft drinks.

Okay, that's not bad....I don't eat red meat and no juices (every now and then, I'll do orange juice); I don't drink as much soda, but when I do, I drink Diet Coke because it has 0 calories. :tup:

I didn't think I could do the calorie thing either, but I kept a daily food journal for about a month or two, then I just got into a habit of eating similar foods on a regular basis, so that's how I know my calorie intake for the day. Not to mention my portions are a lot smaller than what they used to be. :tup:

Well yall pray for ole Shawiggi. He had to take a trip to the Oncologist/hemotologist. The big C work is lingering. I've dropped 40 lbs, never been a bad eater but I watch everything I eat daily. Work out 4 times a week. Had my yearly physical done the day before Thanksgiving. 1 thing came back abnormal and that was my CBC. I also had elevated BP and I've had two more reading in the high numbers since. I really don't want to go on the pill but I got to think about the three girls and the wife. WE been on chicken,fish and turkey since april. I sweeze in bacon once in a while but most of the pork and beef is limited. My goal is to drop back down to 210 so I have 30 more to go. Thing is I've always been active, been working out at least three days a week for the last 4 years but now I have HBP..Some of it may be stress and heredity..

I just purchased two shirts that are large size and they fit just right. But I have been fatigued a lot lately. Worked out twice and almost fainted. two weeks ago and last night....Something is not right with the kid...

Last edited:
Crit eating out is cheaper for a reason. It will kill you deader than dead. Restaurants put more salt in your food than the law allows. We cook most of our meal now due to family size and health. The wife had drop 35 lbs too. But if you track what they put in food a restaurants and fast food you will find out why you can't slim down and why all your numbers are up... You health depends on you cooking at home. Just an FYI..

Prayers up definitely. I am going to have to eventually get this knee checked out. My tendinitis been cutting up lately.

We have those at the Y they are killer but I hate them. I run two miles for 23 minutes then walk another 22 at 4.2...After I jump on the weights but mostly cicuit training at lower weights now.

Back