We Should Have Won The SWAC

Texas Southern Fan

A lot of our fans and people on this board blame most of our problems this year on free throws. Free throws were a major problem for us this year, but our biggest problem was the zone defense.

Alabama A&M coach, Coach Pettaway is the person I blame for this. In our fist meeting with Alabama A&M, they struggled in their man to man defense. Coach Pettaway went to a zone defense in the second half and A&M took us to overtime before we pulled it out.

Maybe you guys can tell me if I?m right. After the big win over PVU on Feb. 8, we loss the next six games in a row. I feel we loss those game due to teams going to a zone defense against us.

Texas Southern did not win another game until Alcorn St. came to town (Mar. 6). I watched that game very closely and Alcorn did not go into a zone defense at all and neither did Southern.

We played Jackson St. in the opening round of the SWAC Tournament. As soon as Jackson got off the bus, they went into a zone defense. TSU was down by as much as 18 points before we were able to mount a great come back. When we made our come back, we went to a press and Jackson was unable to set up in their zone defense due to them turning the ball over.

In the second and third round of the SWAC Tournament, neither Valley nor Alcorn St. went to a zone defense.

In the play-in game tonight, Asheville got off the bus playing a zone defense. I?m not saying this cost us the game, but we did struggle with it.

With me saying all that, I do believe we (TSU) did get better beating the zone. At first, we were trying to beat the zone by shooting over it. We don?t have the outside shooting to beat a zone defense by shooting over the zone. I did see some improvement in our philosophy against the zone defense. By the end of the season we (TSU) stop trying to shoot over the zone. We starting working the ball around and trying to pass the ball into the heart of the defense, looking to pass the ball to post players on the block or settling for the short range jumpers.

I did see improvement against the zone defense, but we could do a better job of being patient and moving the ball faster against the zone defense.

Did Courtney Out Coach Himself Tonight

Did TSU Coach Courtney out coach himself tonight? I would have to say YES. Why was TSU in a zone defense most of the game if not the whole second half? At the beginning of the game TSU was in a man to man defense Asheville had trouble with our man to man defense. Most of the time the shot clock was about to run out before they got off a shot. Asheville could not beat us (TSU) off the dribble if they had to.

Reasons I would go into a zone defense:

1. The other team was quicker than my team.
2. They were beating me off the dribble.
3. They were a bad outside shooting team.
4. They were not patient on offense.
5. They didn?t work the ball around effectively for a good shot.

Out of the five reasons I came up with for going into a zone defense, I don?t think UNC Asheville excelled at any of them to cause us (TSU) to go into a zone.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I have to disagree with you on this one, I believe that TSU do have the shooters to hit from the outside and bring teams out of the zone. They just can't shoot freethrows, it's been TSU's achilles heel all season. The one game that TSU did win from the line was against Valley the first time. TSU is not a strong defensive team playing the zone and that was shown tonight against UNC-Ashville. Height is a needed commodity and you're lacking there like most other teams in the SWAC. I was suprise that ESPN didn't run a clip of the lost against Arkansas where you missed (what else) a free throw to win that game, history repeats itself.

But it was a good game and congrats....nothing to smack about.

Let it go! It's baseball season. Forget about all the woulda, shoulda, and coulda.

<h5>Batter Up!</h5>

Texas Southern.... Free Throw

NAME------------------ FT-FTA FT%
------------------------------------------
HOLLIS,Ra'Kim....... 143-203 .704
LOVETT,Allan........ 150-244 .615
WILLIS,Lionel.......... 49-83 .590
TIMMONS,Marquel..... 37-47 .787
SNEED,Michael....... 45-59 .763
BELL,Jerome........... 32-72 .444
WALKER,Sean......... 23-43 .535
BUTLER,Akil............. 16-38 .421
CLARK,Jamaal.......... 21-39 .538
BARRETT,Jaret......... 14-35 .400
HOGAN,Donald......... 1-7 .143
DABNEY,Jason.......... 4-5 .800
BAILEY,Marcus.......... 1-1 1.00

Originally posted by LaCumba
Let it go! It's baseball season. Forget about all the woulda, shoulda, and coulda.

<h5>Batter Up!</h5>

Anything to forget about your new name huh 327?

Originally posted by LaCumba

<h5>Batter Up!</h5>

It is also track season. Thank you very much. :mad:

Take your marks. :D

TxSU folks!

You are not allowed to make posts like this. These types of posts have been reserved for jsu folks. Unless they gave you permission to say this, you are in violation of code 777-9311 and must cease.

Eventhough they haven't used it because of embarrassment. You are not allowed to use posts like this because it is against the rules of the board.

Don't make me tell Kenn. You better abide by the rules or I'm gonna tell. Only the school that predicts that they have the best talent and are going to win everything make these types of posts.

Straighten up and fly right!

Originally posted by C-LeB28

Anything to forget about your new name huh 327?

You were 303 in all of Div I in freethrows. No wonder yall choked. Your tournament trophy will NEVER EVER outshine an SCG trophy. SCG Trophies are hard to come by in Texas. How many yall got so far?
:shame:

Back